Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I have popped on here from time to time but now here to pick your brains if i may?

Went to cons yesterday as concerned that POF happenng at a young age may affect bones etc.  He said i did not need HRT at themoment as still having periods,even if they are irregular.  He mantionedthat my latest oestrodial was fairly high therefore he has taken blood for a repeat oestrodial and immune testing.

Has anyone heard of immune problems causing POF?

Thanks in advance

jan27

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Hi Jan27,

My POF is caused by immune issues. I've had full immune testing with Dr Beer's office prior to my treatment. I also had a thyroid problem, which was a red flag that I might have immune problems.

Dr Beer's office discovered various problems and I had steriods, anti TNF blocker, aspirin, and high dose vits for my treatment in 2007.

I hope you get some answers from your testing.

Abby
x

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Jan, long time no speak.  Hope you are well.  ^hugme^

I went to a endocrinologist for confirmation of POF and this is an extract from my results:

"..thyroid auto-antibody tests were negative as was your anti-ovarian and anti-adrenal antibodies, excluding the fact that your POF is part of a polyendocrine auto-immune syndrome"

I take from this (but I'm no expert) that POF is an auto-immnue disorder but my results for auto-immnue came back negative!?!  I still don't know what caused my POF as all the obvious markers have been ruled out.

As for the bone scan, It might be worth asking for one anyway.  My first dexa scan in 2006 showed me in Osteopenia range (below normal) after having DS I'm now Osteoporosis borderline  :eek:.  It's standard practice here to have a dexa scan when you go to the menopause clinic.  I'm hoping with exercise, high calcium diet and HRT that I will get back into at least Osteopenia range. The consultant said it is achievable.  If it isn't bad enough contending with POF and the menopause this happens. There is no way of looking at you, to tell if the POF is affecting your bones so its good to go as a precautionary measure.

Don't know if any of the above has helped or not, I'm still no the wiser.  Good luck with your tests.

Abby, how are you and your little cherub? Can't believe she is 7 months already.

Kittyxxx

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies girls.

I have not heard about my results yet so will call and see if they are back yet or if they have sent them to the GP.  Will let you know what happens.

jan27

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi Jan

I have autoimmune disease (when the immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissue) which I have been told is the cause of my POF - currently I have Pernicious anemia, Hypothyroidism and the POF and have to be monitored to see if I develop anything else.

Let us know how your results go

Katherine x

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Jan27

There is quite a lot of research linking auto immune conditions with POF....especially if you 'google' it. I believe my POF was caused by me having Rheumatoid Arthritis as a child which is an Auto immune condition and i also have Vitiligo which is also auto immune. Both the consultants i have seen have agreed that this is the most likely cause.  :(

When i was undergoing fertility treatment i had an 'immune profile' test done....it showed i am positive for ANA (anti nuclear antibodies) which is also linked to auto immune...hope all this helps

Florie x

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replies

I have still not got my results. I have left messages with the consultants secretary and my GP.  I am not amused  :mad:....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Kitty31 said:
I take from this (but I'm no expert) that POF is an auto-immnue disorder but my results for auto-immnue came back negative!?! I still don't know what caused my POF as all the obvious markers have been ruled out.

Kittyxxx
Kitty, POF is not always cause by auto-immune disorders. I tested negative as well but was diagnosed with POF as a teeanger due to high FSH levels (84) and no egg reserve.

I hope you find your answers :)
Amanda x

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Amanda, its all very confusing.  ???

Good luck with your treatment in Reprofit.  ^reiki^ ^hugme^

Kittyxxx

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi

I eventually found out after lots of hassle that my bloods were normal so no immune issues.  It is a big relief but no answers with regard to why I have POF..... i expect i will never know...............

jan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts