Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I posted a while back and received so many inspiring posts that I'm back for some more, I'm afraid! Thank you so much for posting last time, we were at the initial "I can't believe it" stage and you all rose to the challenge of reassuring us that this wasn't the worst thing in the world, and there are plenty of people who come through this, complete with a gorgeous bundle of joy!

Anyway, we're off to see the consultant on thursday which I'm looking forward to, but also a bit apprehensive, as at least then we'll know a bit more and have more of an idea as to our options. Having done my research, it looks like ICSI is going to be the way forward as my hubby has a very poor sperm count (4.65 million), with good motility but dreadful morphology - just 1% are classed as normal. He's on the vits and we're eating healthily and he's drinking water, so fingers crossed it could improve when we do the next test.

Basically, we tried for five months and fell pregnant with our son who is now fast approaching three. The pregnancy was problem free and so I thought, naively, that trying for number two would be much the same. However, over a year later and no joy, we've had the tests and realised that hubby's sperm is the reason it's not happened - has anyone else managed to fall preg first time and then have to resort to IVF or ICSI to achieve it a second time?

I guess I'd just love to hear from anyone who's in a similar situation, and also anyone who is having or has had ICSI/IVF at the same place, which is the CRM at Walsgrave, under Mr Kennedy.

Sorry - what a waffley message! Thank you for reading it, and I'd love to hear back from anyone who can offer me any advice, support or encouragement - it's a massive thing to get our heads around, and so any morsel of info would be very gratefully received.

With big, big thanks,
Hughesmum xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi ;D

I have no children, so I can only imagine what you must be going through. It must be so fustrating and upsetting for the both of you!. ^Cuddle^.

My hubby and I had been trying for 3 years for a baby with no joy. At first I thought I had a problem because dh had been checked out before when in a past relationship and was OK.
We booked to see owr GP and both had tests done, only to find that dh had 100% sperm antibodies, OK sperm count, but the ^sperm^ couldn't move ( stuck together).
So 2 years on and we have had 2 ICSI Treatment, 1st fail, 2nd time was this month July started bleeding in 2ww, take the test on Sunday, I know the result :'(

Sorry if I have made you more depressed, I never ment to!!!!.
Chin up things have a way of working out.
I hope everything works out for you both.

Luv Kaza

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Hughesmum...

Your story rang a few bells with me although ours is slightly different.

Dh and I started ttc towards the end of 2002 and within a couple of months I was pregnant. I sadly miscarried at 8 weeks but was told to just try again. 7 months later with no joy, I went to my GP who suggested trying for another 6 months before doing anything. I pushed however for a gynae referral and my GP agreed for the sake of completeness to refer DH for testing although he assured me DH would be fine as I'd fallen pregnant. Results came back... Count was excellent but motility poor and morphology... only 2% normal. As count was high, GP assured us this shouldn't affect our chances. It was only when we had private testing done in Feb this year, that we discovered that DH has something called globozoospermia, probably genetic in origin and were told that we have a minimal chance of natural conception.

How we conceived in the first place i don't know although following 3 months of diet changes, vitamins and acupunture, DH's sperm quality has improved quite a bit! So who knows!!! We have just started our first ICSI cycle in London and I'm coming to the end of my 2ww!

So... I know what a shock it is when your first find it all out! But there is always hope!!! Definitely keep on with the diet etc as i really think it makes a difference (and reduce booze if possible ) So good luck for your appointment on Thursday!! ^Cuddle^

Callie xxx

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hi Hughesmum

Well I do know that in our situation where DH has low morhpology (at first few tests) at 2% there has always been a chance of a miracle - small well OK miniscule but its there so yes it could have happened to us but didn't.

I have been under the Walsgrave for 2 cycles of ICSI and was under Mr Keay for 1 and Mr Kennedy for the other. To be honest you may only see them once but they are thorough and will answer any questions you may have. You will need to ask though. They have always been very honest with us and we were told very specifically why we were being recommended to undergo ICSI and our chances of conception by this means and natrually.

The majority of appointments are held with the nursing staff who I have found to be fantastic throughout the whole process and beyond. They have the right balance of professional and friendly right. The counselling service at the CRM is also very good and the counsellor is very approachable.

If you have any questions on the clinic etc please feel free to IM me.

Good luck and take care

Clare

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Hi Hughesmum

I fell pregnant at 35 really quickly after just 4 months of trying. Sadly I miscarried at 12 weeks. We tried again thinking it would be easy but 7 months later nothing. I went through all the tests including a laparoscopy and all came back fine but husband had a severely reduced sperm count - something like 1million which was also decreasing at every further test. Tests seemed to go on for ages and we did everything to increase his sperm count - zinc, cool bathes, ZMA, no bike-riding, abstinance, loose boxers - everything - but nothing made a difference. Eventually we went for icsi and fell pregnant with twins first time. Not sure why husband's sperm count plumeted the way it did - doc reckons hormones combined with blood pressure medication but will not investigate any further. We're currently trying to get a second opinion.

All the best.

Flakey xx

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi Hughesmum

We are CRM people too!

We have no children but our wonderful GP referred us to the CRM who discovered DP's morphology problem. Of course there is still a chance that you will be successful but it is very low. We were advised to go for ICSI due to DP's problem. We were lucky that we met Coventry PCT critieria for funding - I am afraid you will not as you already have a child.

As Clare_S says the main people you will see at CRM are the nursing team who are wonderful. I saw Mr Kennedy once during stimms and then at EC. Ask all the questions you need to - I took a list of 20 to our initial appointment, most of which were answered during the discussions but they are happy to answer them. I have also rung them and asked questions between appointments - never a problem, they may ring you back if busy but they always do.

If you want any more info on the clinic IM me and I'll try to help.

Good luck
LindaJane
:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts