Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there,

Would someone please be able to advise? Would IUI treatment be offered when the partners' sperm has high abnormal morphology, or would the treatment be straight IVF (with ICSI or without) ? I'm trying to determine the odds ,time & expense of IUI, or should we head straight for IVF. ??? ???

Another query is, why would doctors suggest taking Clomid when Hormone levels are normal in a woman? ???

Thanks very much  :-*

xx

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Hiya Babywish,

I am not a doctor/nurse but wanted to try to answer your questions from my experience.Most clinics give women clomid,think its just a general thing they do to help prepare your body even if you ovulate normally.I was prescribed 50 mg for 3 months,it did me no harm apart from a few side effects,so it's worth a try.If your unsure done hestitate to speak to your consultant.

Cinics differ in their approach,depending on circumstances private clinics tend to start on IVF but NHS start with IUI then work there way up through different treatments.We were reccomended to have IUI and my hubby had poor morphology and motility,but they pick the best sperm for IUI then introduce it as clost to your follicles as possible and sometimes it does the trick.Best of luck.

Come and join us on the clomid or IUI threads,we are all mad but lovely  :-*

Kelly x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

I can't really help regards IUI v IVF/ICSI as IUI isn't an option for us (I've damaged sluggish tubes so not worth time/money etc) so if we have to go for assisted conception then it's straight onto IVF.

As for Clomid, I ovulate fine naturally (actually have a naturally high progesterone level !) but I'm on 50mg Clomid...am currently in my 3rd cycle...we were initially going to have 3mths on Clomid then if go or IVF in October if needs be...however, we've decided to go for another 3mths on Clomid (6mths total) & if we need to then we'll start IVF in the new year (January)...gives us a little longer to ttc naturally (with Clomid) & also gives us longer to get more cash together (we pay privately). I've had a couple of early m/c before I started Clomid - obviously hoping that it won't come to IVF & I'll conceive naturally again & be able to sustain the pregnancy. I think quite a few consultants prescribe Clomid to women who ovulate naturally as an initial treatment...basically our consultant said that the more eggs, the more chance & Clomid boosts things...each cycle so far I've released 2 eggs & got another 2 mature follies this month & should ovulate tomorrow ! Fingers crossed we'll get a BFP ^2ww^

Good luck & take care ^reiki^
Natasha

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
hi babywish
i am with argc so can only tell you of my experience with that clinic. i wanted to do iui as two sperm tests have shown my DP has normal sperm. however argc use the strict criteria and in their view my DP only has 10% normal. we are going through a monitored cycle this month and he is allowing us to do iui as part of that - but in general he wouldn't advise iui in any cases of low morphology. the stats are bad with iui as it is - ie. best if you have unexplained. it's a personal choice as well as the direction that your clinic takes. for example i had a laparoscopy with a fertility consultant at the london clinic who suggested iui - but argc was a straight no! they are compromising by giving me iui but only part of the monitoring process for icsi.
as for clomid - they won't give me any! my iui this month is unmedicated. my friend (GP) said that she is amazed anyone is offered clomid when they have normal hormone profiles as it can be dangerous and what's the point of messing with a body's system when it's working! all it'll do is increase the risk of multiples.
it's so hard - as you get so much different advise. in my experience you have to put yourself in the hands of someone you trust and go with that one opinion - or else it just gets too complicated. i trust argc 100% as they have fab results and i respect mr t immensley - even if he doesn't tell me what i want to hear!!
IM me if you want!
love
eva

·
Registered
292 Posts
Our consultant did a sperm prep test or swim up test on dh to determine if dh sample would be good enough for IUI. She aslo waited for the results before subjecting me to tubal evaluation. The test wasn't good enough, he has consistently 0% morphology and poor motility (we think it was mumps at 7 that did it but no one can say for sure). Our consultant said that becuase we had two factors it was straight to IVF ( in fact it was ICSI in the end).

Hope this helps
Tibevora 

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi there,

Thanks so much for replying, it's such a minefield!!! I suppose every body is different & treatments will work differently on each individual, so it's very much trial & error....how has anyone coped with the physical pain due to the treatment, whether IUI or IVF? can you ask for general anesthetic? I'm such a wuss!!! :-\

xxx

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Hi babywish

my Dh's morphology was 2% normal and we had iui, our consultant felt that you never know what will or won't work until you try!

I had clomid and lots of other drugs as they like to be in control of your cycle, the actual process of iui was no worse than a smear, no problem at all!

Our iui didn't work but we had a son in march this year, we conceived naturally while waiting for another cycle of treatment to work!

good luck, I will keep my fingers crossed for you x

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Sorry to butt in but your post has really inspired me.

I really hope I can Ov on Metformin and despite DH's probs we can get PG.

Congratulations!

Louise x

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Oink!!

That really has given us some hope as DP's last test showed only 2 % normal & 20% motile ^sperm^, so will keep fingers crossed!!!

Congratulations!!!

xxxx

·
Premium Member
3,699 Posts
Hi Babywish

My dh has low morphology and after 6 months of clomid we went straight to ICSI, the clinic didn't even suggest IUI. This may be partly because we were keen to move forward as DH is in his late 40's and we didn't want to try lots of things if ICSI was the best option.

As for the pain factor - I found I expected it to be far worse and was amazed at how easy the injections and procedures were - particularly the egg collection where I had conscious sedation (I was awake but can't remember any of it ;D ;D). The 2ww is by far the worst bit - I am currently going slowly mad ^idiot^ ^idiot^

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like, IM me if you like - this site has kept me informed and sane through this whole rollercoaster ride!

Take care & good luck
Blu

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Blu,

Thanks so much for the reply, I have shown all the replies of this topic to DP & I think he's in denial, as he still believes we're going to conceive naturally!!! :'( :'( :'(.

We're finally seeing the fertility consultant this Tuesday, it turns out she's a gynaecologist ( ??? ???), so how will she be able to assess DP??? ( we were referred due to male factor infertility).
I guess we'll find out on Tuesday.....

I wish you the best of luck for these 2ww!!!! ^reiki^ ^reiki^

xxxx

·
Registered
99 Posts
hi babywish,just want to say good luck with your app on tuesday,let us know how you get on.josiemosie xxxxxxxxxxx ^goodluck^

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Josiemosie!!

Thank you! How are you? Still not heard from the others re a meeting.. :( :('

Will let you know what happens on Tuesday.

Take care  :) :)

xxxx

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi babywish

Obviously we just all get different treatment regardless of the problem!  My clinic put us straight onto ICSI because of dh's poor morphology; we funded our first two cycles but it's an NHS clinic, so the difference doesn't come down to NHS v paying.  They just have such good ICSI results at my clinic that they don't mess around with IUI or IVF if there's the least doubt.

I wasn't offered clomid at all even though my cycle's a bit variable and short (but I do ovulate) - I wanted clomid but they said they'd be wasting our time and we should go straight for ICSI (guess I'm not getting any younger...).

And as for the pain.... I found the injections etc. fine (psychologically more wearing than physically, but still fine) - but the egg collection (which was under a General Anaesthetic) was more painful than I expected.  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't agony, but I'd expected to go back to work the next day and really couldn't sit on a chair for a couple of days (lying on a sofa was good!) - so, although it's not terrible, give yourself time to get over it.

And very best of luck
Sandy

·
Premium Member
2,831 Posts
congratulations Sandy!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Sandy,

Thank you for your reply & a very big  ^congrats^ ^congrats^ ^congrats^, that's fantastic news & has given me hope!!!

Take care & well done

Susana

xxxx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.