Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new on here and a bit confused.

Our GP told us that we were not eligable for ICSI as my H had no live sperm, however the fertility dr said that we were, although when pushed told us that we were borderline.

H did 3 samples, the 1st came back with a v low count, mostly abnormal and only a few motile.

The 2nd two samples came back v low count, all abnormal, all non-motile.

Has anyone else experienced this and gone on to have ICSI? He had his hormones checked as well and they came back normal, which is apparently v strange as should be high as body should be trying to produce more sperm, so it could be a partial blockage or poor sperm producing cells??

We are currently waiting for our appointment at Bourn Hall which is next month, but I am getting impatient about what our options are ie ICSI or DI.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tulip,

In my experience over the past 6 months GP's are not really the most experienced to discuss major eurology issues with.

Your best bet would be to make an appointment with a good Urologist so that you can get your DH checked out further.

Please don't give up just yet as after all your DH seems to be producing sperm of some nature so at least there is something there to work with you just have to find the right person to help you with that.

Anything else you need to know just let me know.

Good luck and lol.

Fin

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fin

I guess it is still very early days, we only found out H's results on Jan 7th.

He is do another sample for Bourn Hall, I would guess that they would have a Eurologist on site, they said that they do a much more detailed test than a local hospital would. 

Fingers crossed there is enough for ICSI, what a strange sentanace, 3 months ago we were still expecting it to happen naturally!

Thanks again

Mhairi

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
tulip1 - As Fin can confirm I'm living proof that a useless [email protected] such as myself can father kids.  I also had a handful of sperm per SA but now have a BFP after having SSR (TESE).

I know how you feel no-one can appreciate going from normal BMS to being told your infertile.  If you bloke needs a chat please feel free to contact me.

Hopefully you'll find something to help you make babies together!!

Regards
Andy

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Dear Tulip,
Andy is telling fibs! He's not a useless [email protected], I've heard him say at least once that infact he's very good at it!!  ;D ;D Its just that like many of the DH's here it doesn't produce enough swimmers.

Seriously, my DH had the same prognosis when we started but he's done a lot of hard work taking the vitamins and having cold showers etc and pushed the count up.  We still don't know why his count was like that and I think we've come to accept that we may never find out why. With all the tests somethings still remain a mystery.

Listen to the doctors, take careful notes, do a bit of research and then see where being pushy can get you! Its a sad fact that an informed patient can get a lot more out of the system.

Best of luck,
Lizi

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy

I will let him know about this site, I do worry that he doesn't really talk about it and can bottle up his feelings.

Our NHS fertility dr recommended him having a biopsy, poor bloke didn't uncross his legs for a week, was it really awful??

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hi Tulip

I answered you post under male icsi.
Just to say our urologist said he wouldnt do a biopsy on my dh to find out cause of low count as he didnt want to cause any damage.... as he had some sperm in his semen...
However if there is no  sperm in semen then the urologist can  use techniques to find sperm surgically....
Goodluck Debs

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Tulip - A biopsy isn't so bad I was back on my feet about 20 minutes after the op and back in work the next day.  :)

However I was a little uncomfortable and there was no sex for a few days.  However I have heard blokes come out after their biopsy cryin' but I think it affects us all differently. It's not that I'm hard I was just mentally prepared and accepting of the situation.

Regards
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.