Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'd really like to hear some positive stories about eSET. I'm about to embark on icsi and DH has only agreed to it on condition we only have 1 embie put back in. Part of me really feels llike we're cutting our chances so I could do with a few positive stories to keep me going.

I had icsi in 2008 and had 2 embies put back in of which one went on to become a pregnancy. Most people I know having tx second time round seem to go for 2 embies of which just one takes. I'm really all for DET but as DH will only agree to SET then this has to be better than nothing. Rather than feeling more positive this time round I'm far more scared of it failing and need a boost of pma.

Also did you have the embie put back in on day 3 or go to blast and what were your reasons? I know some of it will depend on how many eggs we get (if any!) and how many fertilise (again if any!) and that the clinic will give me good advice... But it would be nice to have some back up for my decisions and think about it now before the heat of the moment.

Thank you in advance
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi Monkey,

We didn't exactly have elective SET as only one egg fertilised on our 3rd ICSI but she is now 11 days from her 1st birthday. We had day 2 transfer, weren't given the option of blast.

Good luck with tx.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Joy xx

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

I had a eset with one frozen blasto last month and it worked!  You can imagine my shock though when I went for my first scan and its twins!!!!  The egg must have split.  Dont tell your partner that one!  mx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Monkey, i start down regging on Monday and I am in the same boat as you as my DH will only have 1 put back and is adamant on that and tbh this is my wish as well but I cant help thinking the same as you, reduced chances etc.. I have 2 year old twins from my 1st ICSI and really do not wish to have another set of twins..(tough pregnancy and twins born early have swayed to me this decision).  Just hope luck is on our side and that we both have that one sticky embie.. Good luck x

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I had 1 2day embie put back on our first try and it was successful. We went for the earlier transfer because we felt that we at least wanted the embie to have a chance instead of dying in a petrie dish! I wanted 2 put back but was told that if I insisted on it and it failed, my pct wouldn't fund any further treatment. In hindsight and with my new appreciation of how much work babies are, I'm glad I didn't have twins the first time around. Good luck! x

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!
Congrats Hazel on willow - the first 3 months is really hard - you'll start getting more and more feedback from her now and it's just amazing

Good luck with your tx twin mummy

Massive congrats morv! Well I guess at least you didnt put in 2 you might have 3 or 4 now!

I'm thinking that if there us just one fertilised it might be better in me than going to blast.
Will have to wait and see!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I know our clinic dont go to blast but i'm hoping and praying that we have some to freeze if this cycle does not work. I am even having dreams about my friend and me being pregnant.. think its because its playing on my mind that much and tbh I am dreading it.. I was so naive the first time round and just went with the flow but now I know what is in store, I am cr*pping myself for want of a better word.  ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
12 weeks pregnant after set x

·
Registered
667 Posts
I had eset two years ago next month - actually it wasn't exactly elective, more that I had OHSS, was too ill for a 3 day transfer (and was lucky in that I had enough eggs to be able to risk going to blast) and by day 5, we had only one viable embryo left. This was out of a total of 12 embryos originally and at the time we were gutted to only have one to transfer; all the others had arrested by this point.

But our one remaining embryo is now 14 months and completely adorable, if a total handful and running us ragged ;) :)  I still look at him and can't quite believe he is here, but here he most certainly is - SET can work!

I had a 5 day transfer mainly because I wasn't well enough to have a day 3 one - I wouldn't necessarily have chosen blast transfer. But my understanding is that embryos that make it to blast in vitro have to be pretty strong and therefore going to blast can be a good way (providing you have enough embryos to justify the risk of losing some) of letting nature show you which would be the best to transfer.

In my own situation, for example, I had four top grade embryos on day 3. Had I not been ill, two of those would have been selected and implanted, but who's to say DS2 (the strongest embryo) would have been one of them? By day 5, three of those four embryos had stopped developing despite them looking great on day 3; only the DS2 embie had continued to develop. So going to blast can be a good way of helping to select the best looking embryo. However, it's also worth bearing in mind that some embryos that fail to develop in vitro could have developed happily in the womb, because the womb is always, always, always the best environment, so if you can't have a blast transfer, don't panic; a 3 day SET could still have a good chance of success.

Hope this helps, and good luck  ^reiki^

Amberx

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Amber xx

·
Registered
817 Posts
We had two embryos put back first time but only one was particularly good (7 cell and 4 cell), and I had an early miscarriage with the one embryo that took  :( Then the second time we had two put back and again only one embryo was really good (8 cell and 5 cell), and from that we have been very lucky to have our absolutely wonderful DS  :) This time round we chose to have just one of our 2  :eek: (never had such a good treatment outcome) 8 cell grade 2 embryos put back and I am now 10 weeks pregnant, so hopefully all will be well  ^pray^ Every time it was a day 3 transfer, which was the embryologists and our preference. Our clinic prefers you to have at least 5 embryos to take to blast, and we never get anywhere near that number of good embryos.

Best of luck and hope it all works out for you  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Best wishes,
Eclaire  ^daisy^

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had SET in November and I'm 10 weeks pregnant!  :) It was my first IVF cycle. The embryologist would only let us transfer one as it was good quality and there was a chance it could split, and because of my age (I'm 29) They gave us 60 - 70% chance of success! Good luck!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you again. Time is not on my side unfortunately as I head towards 40. I was under the magic 35 last time. This time not responding v well at all. So thankyou very much eclaire. It's a good point just going with normal 3 day transfer rather than risking blast if we only have a couple of embryos. Ahhhhhhhhh to the waiting game I just need to get to next week and see where we are! it doesn't seem to be any easier this time round!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi im having SET today, we are very lucky to have a miracle little boy born two years from SET.
our clinic are very keen not to put more than one back.
Im 36 now and am more worried than i was before, and we are also on 3 day transfer. Am praying for a result like before as , wishing you lots of luck and baby dust x

·
Registered
62 Posts
Loving all these postive stories ^reiki^  Crackles.. I know what you mean as I am also 36 and a half this time round and it does have me worried but what will be will be... I will be keeping an eye out for your BFP announcement  :)

I love this thread.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well had Et transfer today!! Scary and exciting stuff, my little embies did so very well and had a moment on what if we were making wrong decision!! but they did offer us two!

Made the right decision for us and our history, and stuck with the one, if it happened once it can happen again :)

^2ww^ is such a wonderful time!! NOT!!

positive thoughts to all

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cackles, good luck on the dreaded 2ww.  I was so naive last time and wish I still was as I did not start going on Fertility Forums till I was 17 weeks pregnant.. sometimes I wish I was still that naive iykwim.  I think you did the right thing going for one and I know that it is the best option for us but its so hard isnt it.. anyway no pont in thinking what if's..What is for ya won't go past ya  ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
congrats on being PUPO crackles and  ^reiki^ for a bfp in 2 weeks.

Sp twinmummy - no4? 3 girls in 2008 ... did you have triples or twins and another baby in the same year.. not that i'm nosey or anything!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nooooooooooooo not triplets ha ha.. Think I may have to change my sig to make it clearer.. I have a daughter who is 16 and had the twins in 2008.. Will go and change my sig now  ;D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts