Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started the clomid on April and my doctor had me come in on day 21 for some blood work. He told me that I did not ovulate and I new that because of the kits. However to finish the last kit I tested on the 23rd just to use the last one and it was positive. Is something wrong or has anyone else had this happen? Help me please I am so confused. :-\

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
hi ther dennis, sorry you are going to have to be a little mopre precise hun, you went in for bloods on day 21 which will have been your progestrone results, these tell you weather or not ovulation has occured + by what you are saying this showed you didnt ovulate

what day are you on now/the day of testing ? now when you say you have tested, have you used a pregnancy test or a ovulation test ? i presume you mean a ovulation test, are they the cheap ones that you can buy in bulk hun ?
xxx

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

OPKs (ovulation predictor kits) only detect the LH surge before ovulation so if you've got a definite +ve result on an OPK then this means you should ovulate in approx 36hrs. 

Having progesterone blood test on cd21 assumes ovulation on cd14.  Progesterone peaks at 7dpo (days past ovulation) and this is ideally when it should be tested....if you ovulate earlier or later in your cycle then you should ideally get progesterone tested accordingly.

For an OPK to be a definite +ve then your test line should be same colour or darker than the control line....even if there's a 2nd line but it's fainter than the control line then this is still a negative -ve and doesn't show LH surge.

Do you have PCOS ?  If so, this can give inaccurate results on OPKs because with PCOS you often have higher levels of LH so the OPK "thinks" you've had LH surge but actually it's just your higher LH levels being detected.

If you have had a definite +ve OPK then perhaps it would be worth trying to get another progesterone blood test done at 7dpo...eg if you had +ve OPK today, then count 7 days from 36hours....so get a progesterone blood test done in about 8/9 days time and see what the results are.

Take care
Natasha

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hello girls,
Just thought i would put my two pennies in. I found the opk test things crap i did one every day for a month and aparently i ovulated every day. I have pocs so this did tamper the results. I had y bloods done last wednesday and got a negative for ovulation, mums mate is my gyni nurse i told her i thought i ovulated late so she tested me on sunday and my level was 79 very good aparently so i had ovulated. Next month i have to get bloods done day 15,18,21,24 to cover all angles. Hope my experiance helps al bit.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
there you go Dennis you have some fab info off Minxy there + as you can see Nicola Kate OV'ed late which was what i was going to suggest may be happening + if so do as Minxy has said + ask to have your progeterone levels checked again to see indications of ovulation  ;)

everyone is different + cycles vary this can make tracking very confusing  ^hugme^

any more ??'s just ask  :)

xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts