Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you all know I stopped breastfeeding a couple of weeks ago just before DD turned 8 months as i thought mine and DD's breastfeeding relationship had ended  :'( .

A huge part of me really wants to start again and wishes I'd persevered and not stopped.....

is it possible to start again now or is it a silly idea  ^idiot^ ?

if so how would i go about it  ::) ?

I think part of the reason i want to restart is cos DD has a nasty cough/cold  ^eyes^ which I also have and I keep thinking that if i could pass my antibodies on to her in breastmilk it would help her.

part of the reason is purely selfish  ^bigbad^ ...i miss it

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Piepig,
^hugme^ I totally understand your feelings. My lo is just over 19 months and a few weeks ago I really thought it was the end of breastfeeding as my son refused to feed. The main reason for this was teething as 4 molars were cutting through at once. We actually went about 6 full days before he had a feed. I just kept trying him and to be honest he bit me so hard causing me to bleed that I was ready to give up.

However, once the teeth came through I explained to him not to bite me and he actually understood and doesn't do it anymore! We are down to 2 feeds now-bedtime and naptime and I am really happy with that.

Sorry I'm waffling but my advice would be to just put her on your breast as I am sure your boobs should still produce milk. I kno I didn't feed for a few days and is it not really comparable to your situation but my body has quickly responded and just built up the milk again for his feeds.

I would just nurse her ofte and hopefully you will be able to re-establish the feeding.

I know how much you miss it-the first few days he didn't feed I sobbed as I really didn't expect it to end like that.

Good luck hun and I'm sorry if none of what I've written makes sense.

Let me know how you get on. ^hugme^ x

·
Registered
999 Posts
I agree with Iman - Just try.  I've heard of a few women who have stopped for a couple of weeks and they've managed to restart.  Wishing you lots of luck (and milk!) and I hope you both feel much better soon.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I offered her boob last night and she wasn't really that interested (possibly cos she had already had half a bottle), but this morning I offered first thing and she latched on and fed for a short while and I think she got a tiny amount and I then offered bottle after.

Should I try taking fenugreek to encourage my supply as well?

Also should I just offer boob first each time I'd usually just offer a bottle? then follow up with a bottle?

DH thinks I'm mad  :mad:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Piepig,

Sorry only got time for a quick post.

I would just try her with boob every time she is due a bottle and hopefully she will latch on and you can get the feeding back on track.

Good luck hunx

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
hey hun

just a quick post, bless you for trying, i so know how you feel and am dreading giving up!!

you can definately take fenugreek and get your dd to latch on at every feed like iman said, the longer she suckles the more likely you are to produce more milk, also try pumping in between feeds, the more stimulation your breast get, the more hormones/milk making messages your brain will get :)

if you only stopped a couple of weeks ago then it'll take the same length of time to get your supply back to what it was and there's no reason why you can't get it back honey ^bow^

a lady at our breastfeeding group gave up bf'ing twins after 6 weeks as she was finding it hard, however 2 weeks later she was really regretting it so started again and within about 10days she's got them back to all but one feed, so it is doable

good luck honey
love
Suze xx

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hi piepig!
Trying to pm you, but can't do it on my phone! Wishing you a really happy christmas, enjoy your 1st one as a family of 3. Good luck for 2011!

Strawbs x x

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Strawbs hon, hope the 4 of you have a fantastic time as well....bet there is a very excited toddler in your house lol

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
hows it still going piepig?

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sad to say we never really managed to re-establish the breastfeeding. She only wanted booby in the morning and the rest of the time wouldn't take it so after a week I gave up.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
sorry to hear that hun, you did fantastic feeding her as long as you did :)

when are you starting tx again? i've just started reducing Libby's feeds in prep for giving up!  ???

love
Suze xx

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sometime this year suze! need to phone up and book in soon.

·
Premium Member
19,888 Posts
sorry to hear that hun but you did a wonderful thing to bf for so long

big up to you

1 - 13 of 13 Posts