Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope you don't think I'm  ^idiot^

We are still aiming to try IUI/IVF next year, but are interested in adoption if that doesn't work, or in the future down the line  if it does.

If I got in touch with my LA, would I be able to get more info from them, and some insight into how it works/whether we have the skills and personalities necessary to make good adoptive parents, without it counting against us that we didn't iimmediately apply and stop treatments f we then apply after TX is done??

hope that makes sense!

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Hi Crystal  - the only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask  ;)

I'm certain finding out more about adoption then continuing with treatment would not in any way be seen as negative.  :)  In fact taking time to think things through and come to terms with things (though hopefully all will go well with your treatment  :) ) would be seen as a positive.

All the best
Bx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply :)
I'm doing quite a bit of reading on it all, its fascinating, but quite scary looking.

As long as getting more info from them but not applying yet  won't put a black mark by our names, or make us look crazy, I think I'll do it :)

thanks hon

G

·
I can't see it making you look crazy.

We looked into adoption, then did one last cycle of IVF and finally came back to adoption - for us the timing was right and the first look at adoption helped us to decide to do that final cycle.  We were very open with the SWs which I think helped.

On the negative side, some LAs may not even want to talk to you until you are sure you have ended all treatment - but asking won't go against you. 

Bop

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks hon.

I've emailed them to request an info pack :)

I must admit, the more I think about it, the more I think we won't be counted as suitable, what with having a german shepherd, hubby on meds for long term depression and me with a history of short bouts of depression (all infertilty related on my side), not being religious, not having a huge amount of recent childcare experience, me who had a bad relationship with father, DH who was sexually abused by a family friend aged 7... I just wonder that we're not going to be suitable to them.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Hiya

Everywhere is different, so I guess you'll need to see what your policies your LA has. 

Some of the things you mention won't be an issue - you don't need to be religious (unless you are applying to a faith-based voluntary agency and even then it's not always necessary).  Having a dog doesn't bar you from adopting, but they'd want you to answers some questions about it.  Child care experience is something that can be worked on during the process.  You'll be expected to fully explain the relationships within your family, and the abuse your DH suffered will also be explored in details - but there's no reason why these issues can't be worked out.

As for your DH being on meds for depression, then that is one area where you may have difficulty.  :(  Many agencies would expect him to be off meds before adopting, but as I said everywhere is different and they'd look at his circumstances closely.

Bx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess that it's something that we'll have to discuss with the GP. It wouldn't be til the end of 2011 that we actually started the process, but hopefully the info pack will give us an idea of where we stand :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts