Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, hoping someone who has been through IVF will be able to offer some advice.. I'm in my first round (blocked tubes) and had my egg retrieval yesterday. They collected 10 eggs and 8 have fertilized which is great news!

However, I feel absolutely awful... the procedure was fine but I woke from the sedation in a lot of pain and was given a shot which worked to some degree for most of the day. I had a terrible night's sleep and was up peeing (painfully) four or five times in the night. I"ve been in bed all day today with stomach/ovary cramps and bloating and now feel a bit queasy too.

I can't find much information online about the post retrieval pain, and I'm really concerned about how long it's going to last, and whether it's normal.. I'm taking antibiotics, paracetamol and progesterone pessaries.. and I can barely walk around the house.

Please let me know if you had the same and whether it faded by itself..? Or if there's anything i can do to alleviate it.. My next step is to go to emergency and get an ultrasound / check up but i'd really rather avoid that if possible..

thanks all xxxx wb

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Winterburg,

I had some pain after my Egg collection, but not as much as you from the sounds of it.  I found a hot water bottle really helped ease the pain.  When I came round from the sedation the nurse had one ready for me, so it is definately safe to do.  If you are really worried, I would ring the clinic for advice.

Good luck with everything x

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hi there,

The pain will ease hun, see how you feel tomorrow. I had EC Monday and waltzed out the hospital fine but by the evening I was doubled over and by bed time I was in tears. I had to take Diclofenac in the end which some clinics actually give people during the procedure (had to google it). By next morning I was 1000 times better so hopefully you'll feel better soon.

I had terrible trouble urinating too it would take a few attempts to get going but that will pass. Give your clinic a ring tomorrow if it is still really bad but I think it will ease for you.

The follicles fill back up with fluid once the eggs have been removed so the ovaries are still very full for a while and that causes discomfort.

I'm no expert though so see how you go and good luck for your cycle  ^hugme^

kitty xx

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Loulah & Kitty - your posts have made me feel a lot better :)
I'm passing the same amount of water as I'm drinking which apparently is a good sign.. fingers crossed I wake up feeling a bit better.
Good luck girls with your cycles, let me know how you get on! xxx wb

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
If you're still feeling bad it's worth giving your clinic a call for peace of mind. One of the things to watch out for after ec is OHSS and although it doesn't necessarily sound like you have it, it's always worth getting the advice of a nurse.

I had a fair amount of pain on our first cycle but it passed within a day or two so it's not necessarily bad news. The nurses explained that the ovaries are as sensitive as testicles so can be sore after.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Cath x

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Cath - I'm feeling better today thank goodness although still not ready to venture outside..!
Am going in to see the doc tomorrow anyway so hopefully he can do any required checks..
hope everything's okay with you xx wb

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes watch out for OHSS, and speak to your Dr. about it tomorrow.

Late OHSS symptoms can also develope, so please be very aware of this and move quickly in terms of contacting your Dr. if this happens. I developed OHSS, but my ovaries are no longer swollen.

I had 36 follicles and am now injecting for thrombosis. I have a pile of fluid in my abdomen. Dr. believes this the blood and fliud that generated from EC. This made me as sick as a dog, and I am wearing my moms track suit bottoms as I can't get into my clothes. I am on the mend though, I've lost 6lbs so far.

I really don't feel we are warned enough about what can happen after EC.

Congrats on all you embies, and good luck tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi

I had egg collection last Wednesday (today is Sunday). I was quite sore and uncomfortable after for a couple of days but yesterday I thought I was ok. I went out for a couple of hours in the afternoon (to the museum of London - quite interesting place). But after a couple of hours it started hurting. In the end by the time I got home I went straight to bed. By the evening I was bloated all over again. I'm still in pain this morning and I'm really scared as I have transfer tomorrow

Any advice anyone??

Aerdna.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
I would give your clinic a call now or pop into a walk in centre/a&e in case you have OHSS. If you don't it will reassure you but you need to get checked out in case you do. All clinics have an emergency contact number on their answerphone or in the info they've given you.

Good luck.

Cath x

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I rang the doc yesterday and he said to drink lots of water and milk and that he'd check it out tomorrow (now today). By the afternoon it was ok and this morning it was fine. I had transfer this morning - 2 blasts. Keeping my fingers crossed

Xx

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^  for the 2ww. Glad you're feeling better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts