Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We are in the process of potty training.  DS is almost 2 but has been ready for a few weeks now.  He will wee on his potty and take off his nappy during the day if we are at home.  If hes without his nappy he will just sit on his potty for a wee.  Here is where we run into problems

1) If we are out with a nappy/trainers/pants on he will just wee in them
2) He is taking his nappy off at night.  I have to put it back on when hes gone to sleep.

Any ideas to aid getting him dry would be very helpful

Thanks

Shaz xxx

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Sorry, this isn't going to help, but I'm planning on reading and following the Gina Ford's Potty Training in One Week when the time comes.  At the moment when were in and Kieran has his nappy off he will use the potty and toilet, put he doesn't ask when he has a nappy on, so I assume he is still not ready as he isn't saying anything when he needs to go.  I was going to have a practice with pants to get him used to them and see if he will still use a potty, or whether he is only using his potty when he has nothing on.

Shazznewman

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for your reply.  We are in a similar situation i think.  H will use the potty is he has no nappy on and occassionally will say potty when he has one on and we r indoors.  Its a different matter if we are int he garden or out of the house.  He wont say a thing then.  I think hes just too busy playing or being nosey in town to care about potty.  We have decided to relax a little and the taking the nappy off at night has stopped again thankfully.  We are letting him lead us rather than the other way round and we shall see how that works.  Good luck and please let me know how you get on with the Gina Ford method.

Shaz xxx

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
I went straight to not having K in a nappy in the day and had pants on him and potty out. As I think him having a nappy on and asking him to use potty would only confuse him.
I put pants on in the day and asked him every so often if he needed a wee and he would often say no but I would sit him on the potty any way and he would wee. Within a week max he was dry :)

When we were out I would remind him he had pants on and also took him to the toilet at every opportunity so it reduced the risk of wet pants.

We have put pants on the last 2 nights and put potty in his room and he has been dry and using it :)

I would get rid of the nappy and use pants in the day as he might be confused if he has nappy on but being asked to use potty , hope that makes sense?

xx

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Thanks Suzie..yes it makes sense, will give it a try.  What age was K when you started by the way?

Shaz xx

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
he was 2yrs and 4 months :)

I would have done it at 2 yrs but he had only just been placed with us and it would have been too much for him to cope with all at once ;)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I read this post yesterday with interest whilst browsing FF site. My dd has never done this until last night! I couldnt believe the coincidence. We recently converted from cot to bed and have been having varying success. Last night at 4am she was shouting for me I went through to find pj bottoms and nappy on the floor!

Im guessing this is something to do with recently starting to do wee's in the toilet.

My LO can escape from baby grows so I have to use big girls pjs

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hiya

How do you all cope when out and about with wee ones during potty training?

My two are doing really well tho we still have the odd accident.  We went to a soft play area yesterday and I put them in their pull ups (tho I didn't really want to) but on the other hand didn't want an accident in the ball pit either.  I knew there would be an accident and it was Ryan who had pooped tho he did tell us as soon as he did it.

I don't like putting them back in pull ups now that we have started as I feel its a step backwards so do I just have to keep them always in pants and hope for the best, taking umpteen changes of clothes with me any time I go out.

If you are out and about in Glasgow I will be the one walking around with the toddler toilet seat under my arm!!!!  ;D

Any advice/views would be much appreciated!

Love

Karen xxx

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Not sure yet but we are loo training as when we tried the potty a while back he didn't like it. I've got a foldaway travel potty though which uses plastic bags which you then dispose of like a nappy sack. I've showed it to him and he thinks it's quite exciting so I'm hoping he'll find it exciting to use too! ;D

http://www.bumpto3.com/product.aspx?DISPLAYCAT=search&CAT=Products&PID=CC119&searchKEY=potette&PG=1&ST=0&ASC1=1&ASC2=0

Otherwise I think you just have to go prepared for quite a few accidents, If anyone's out and about in Middlesex I'll be the one with the massive bag of extra clothes!!

good luck

Claire x

/links

1 - 9 of 9 Posts