Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Hope you are all ok.  I'm in a bit of a quandry, I haven't bought anything at all yet partly due to being a bit superstitious about having anything in the house and partly because I've felt quite overwhelmed by how many prams in particular there are on the market.  Went with DH on Saturday to Mothercare and within about 10 mins he had decided on the Bug a Boo Cameleon, which is a lot of money - I was just wondering what everyone else is opting for??  We need a travel system and something good for walking.  On the cot front we'd like something we can put next to our bed for a while so the sides will need to come down but most cots which do this only last for a short time, not sure if I'm being naive but I thought you could get one which would be all singing and dancing with sides which move down / come off and go next to your bed which would then turn into a cot bed??

We're also getting lots of advise from friends saying 'don't buy too much', which I can appreciate as people may buy things for the baby, but not too sure how far to take this, don't want to be in the position where we get home and have bugger all here and end up running around buying things.  For instance, I would like to breast feed but obviously don't know yet if this is possible, if it is then we'd like an electric breast pump to express, which again isn't cheap, do I buy one and speak to the shop about their returns policy if we dont need it or leave it until I see how things go?

There's so much on the market nowadays that I don't really know how far to go.  Anyone else in the same position?

x

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Just a brief one

I bought a steriliser and hand breast pump in a box quite cheaply from Toys r us (think they still do it) and that lasted us fine throughout, and I did loads of expressing.....it also had bottles in it etc.....wouldn't waste money on an electric one unless you are sure you are gonna use it lots.

Pushchairs and Cots are really personal preference, so go with whatever you think is best......

Best of luck!
Krysia xxx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
on the cot
how about something like these:
http://www.mumsnbumps.co.uk/olivia-bedside-cot-in-natural-beech-119-p.asp
http://www.babies247.com/ProductDetails/mcs/referrer/Froogle/productID/804/groupID/7/categoryID/124
Can fold the side and it goes under the cot then can come back up and turn back into a normal cot.

Pushchair I'd right a list of what you want ie off rd, travel system, lightweight?, can baby face you? and then post on here I'm sure people would be able to offer advice.

I wouldn't go straight for an expensive breast pump it is advised not to exress until BF is establised so I would see how you get on with BF before spending the money. I had a cheap sterliser in just in case we couldn't BF

/links

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hi We bought this bedside crib..
I know its a bit pricey but this is great if you haven't got a large bedroom and you want something cute beside you.. the side comes down so you can easily reach in and pick babe up in the night. Found this really useful after my c section. I wheel her into the bathroom if I'm having a bath and she's snoozing too. I'd really recommend this crib.
have fun buying your gear :)
http://www.expressyourselfmums.co.uk/details2.asp/ProductID/237/sid/18/bedside-crib.htm

oh ...
and on the pushchair/pram
we went for the mothercare one urban detour quantum and so far is really good and off road too.. babe can face you too which is what we were after

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000T21SCS/sr=1-3/qid=1209771333/ref=sr_1_3/026-4685103-7787641?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42805041&mcb=core

I still haven't bought an expresser yet.. but will need to soon... I used the hospital one to get my milk in quick and it hurt like hell and had no adjuster on the suction strength and with no word of a lie my nipples looked like wine corks after :eek: so I'm feeling a bit cautious about buying an electric one.. ;D but have been eyeing up the advent one (I think)

/links

·
Registered
624 Posts
^hello^ Josyl,

I am at about the same stage as you and we haven't bought anthing yet either.  We have started looking and we like the bugaboo chameleon as well but like you think it is quite expensive, although my DP says we should just have want we want I am not sure if it will give us value for money.  We also like the quinny speedy but the pushchair only faces one way on this model and we were keen to have a pushchair that could face us or face away.

I also wanted a cot for the side of the bed that the side could fold down, I like the look of the one posted by Alisha, although you do get full size cot ones(mothercare I think).  I had sort of decided that I would get a moses basket instead and get a cot that can make into a bed for when bubs gets older. (Although I know I won't decided properly until i actually buy somethin)  The cot that Alisha has bought can be wheeled from room to room but that isn't much good for us as our bedrooms are upstairs and the bathroom is on a different level.

I would be interested to know what you decide.  Happy hunting for stuff.

Best wishes

Red

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
im not far as you ladies yet but all weve really bought so far is a few clothes.i know weve got to buy things double but still buying afew things so far.havnt bought cots or prams or anything like that yet as its too early.the mil is buying the pram/buggy.we are getting jane twin 2 with matrix cup seats.its expensive- £680  :eek: but we aint paying ;D this style also cpmes in a single aswell though.we like the seats because they can go into a lay down position like a pram.we arnt getting cots straight away only moses baskets.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hi

Just thought I would add my bit........

We have decided on a bedside cot for a number of reasons - SIDS guidelines, I am hoping to breastfeed and it saves buying moses baskets/cribs/etc for a short interim period and then an additional cot.

I have just ordered the Mamas and Papas Close and Cosy bedside cot £200 (but ordered it yesterday with their 10% discount day so only £180). My SIL has this cot and has been really pleased with hers. I don't think it looks the 'cutest' but seems really practical over the other bedside models that I have seen (Mothercare do one - £180, and Cosatto (I think) do one - £200). The mamas and papas is solid beech with a teething rail and has the advantage of castors which as far as I am concerned is a must to enable you to get to make/change your own bed easily without restling with a bulky/heavy piece of furniture each time. It is also a bit bigger than some of the standard cots that I have seen but it doesn't have the advantage of converting to a 'first' bed. I am guessing at that time we will just buy a standard single which will hopefully last our LO for a good number of years. Also, we would love to try for another baby and therefore if we are lucky enough for another miracle we would need the cot again anyway. The other good thing with the M&P model, that I haven't seen with any others, is that it has a bolster to fill any gap between the cot and your bed. My SIL's LO is now only 7 weeks and is already able to fidget around and I don't like the idea of baby being able to get any body part stuck in the gap  :eek:.

We are obviously fortunate enough to have sufficient room in our bedroom which I know everyone isn't but I am really hoping that this will be money well spent (well, my mum's money anyway  ;D).

Buying baby stuff can be a bit of minefield, especially with so many people giving you advice, but I am sure you will find what suits you.

Take care,
Annette x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Just to add that pumps usually have a 'no returns' policy unless of course they are faulty and personally, I would wait until after the baby is born to see how BF'ing goes and how you feel about expressing.

As has been said already, I think you have to start with what you definitely do/don't want and go from there e.g. do you want 3 or 4 wheel puschair? lightweight or is that not an issue? small folding? I found that before I started looking I didn't really know what I wanted, but after trying/playing with a few pushchairs I began to get an idea.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Sorry only scanned the posts quickly but just wanted to say that I bought my double pump second hand from ebay and just gave it a really good sterilise - it was only £35 as opposed to the £85 new and came with loads on unused spares so this might be a way of getting one cheaper.

Re cots and prams, it's best to think about your lifestyle and then go to the shops and have a play  :)

Fluffs xxx

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks for your comments ladies, I'm going to start in earnest next week - provided I can stay awake for long enough!!

x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Enjoy it! Don't leave it too late or you may find you just don't have the energy - we went on a mass spending spree to get the bulk of things when I was 32 weeks and couldn't have done it much later.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Hiya

We also bought the Mothercare Urban Detour.  It really is fantastic.  It has a car seat attached, it lays flat, it's so easy to steer, you can push it with one hand (I never thought of this before but I often ended up carrying DS or a drink or whatever while pushing buggy), it folds down pretty small, lot's of different flaps open to allow air through on a hot day and it's really cosy.  My DS is nearly two and it's adapted to each stage really well.

The only slight downside is that it's a little bit heavy to lift into the boot of the car.

Anyway, these are just my thoughts for what they're worth!!!

Good luck with your choice.

VIL
xxx

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi ya.  I'n now an old pro at this being the mum of a nearly two year old!!!  I've got a Bugaboo Chameleon and I love it.  It turns on a penny which is really useful when trying to negotiate in shops etc.  There are a couple of downsides to it.  The pushchair and the wheels have to be put separately in your car. Doesn't take long once you get used to it but a bit annoying.  The other thing is the seat on the pushchair part isn't that deep and now I have a toddler who goes stiff or tries to throw herself out of the pram it can be a bit precarious!!!  I wouldn't swap it though................ Enjoy your shopping. 

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi

Someone else mentioned that children seem to hang out of the buggy very early because the seat isn't that big but other people we've spoken to say the cameleon ws the best thing they bought, albeit a bit on the pricey side

x

·
Registered
678 Posts
I know this isn't the topic as such but the best things I bought for Phoebe are Grobags to sleep in and a white plastic bath "seat" which she laid on in the bath - about £10 from Blooming Marvellous.  Made bathing a new born so much easier and less scary.  Believe me - no pram is perfect they all have their annoying things!! 

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oooh, what a helpful thread!

Like you Josyl I've been reluctant to buy anything due to being superstitious but now at 29 weeks & 1 day think that may be we should get started - esp given Chux's advice about being too tired after 32 weeks.

I love the look of the mamaand papas bedside cot and may well go for that. Have also been thinking about grobags & a baby bath seat so found the advice on that v useful too.

Am still undecided about a buggy though. We had initially been thinking about a PhilandTeds as hoping to have a second baby asap (due to getting a bit long in the tooth!) but have been put off by 2 things 1)Assistant in John Lewis told me they don't stock them because their buyers think that the lower seat is unsafe 2) a friend who has one says it's heavy & unwieldy. Any other views? We also have been considering the Bugaboo Chameleon but wondered about the new Bugaboo buzz. I'm finding it hard to work out the difference between the two apart from size. Anyone got any advice?

Millie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts