Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear ladies
I wonder if anyone out there could reassure me.

In my last pregnancy 3 years ago I developed pre-eclampsia in the very last few weeks & ended up with an admission, mnitoring and an induction for an early delivery at 39 weeks.  Baby was well but post-natally my blood pressure remained elevated & ended up having to stay in hospital for 5 days was then allowed home & then readmitted!  In the ned I was put on some medication for a few weeks to reduce my blood pressure.

I am now pregnany again (14 weeks) & at my scan I also saw the consultant - actually it was his SPR.  He advised starting me on 75mg of asprin as a way of possibly reducing the risk of pre-eclampsia again during this pregancy.  Then he siad I will just check this with his Professor (the consultant) but came back saying he had gone home & for me to start anyway.  When I asked him about the risks or asprin to me or baby he said none.  I am a very 'natural' preson & hav not even taken paracetemol.  I have now since googled 'pre-eclampsia & asprin' & whilst I can see that the new NICE guidelines do recommend this approach there appears to be conflicting research evidence.

Part of me thinks why take something chemical to prevent a condition I might not even get but at the same time I do know the risks of serious pre-eclempsia (still birth, health risks to me etc..)

I feel in such a quandry  would value hearing from anyone who has been in a similar position.

Best wishes

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hi Anon-E-mouse.

I've been told I'm very high risk for pre-eclampsia and abruption from about 22 weeks. This i sbecause of other problems that have been discovered during the pregnancy not because I've had it before but they have given me a 50/50 chance of getting it and we were told to expect delivery between 28 and 32 weeks because of pre-eclampsia.

I've been on 75mg asprin since 22 weeks and we're at 28 weeks on tuesday. Still no sign of the pre-eclampsia developing and they have me dipping my urine every other day and it's still clear and my BP is still OK. I don't know if it's the asprin or not but every extra day LO stays in is great. You're right, it is NICE guidelines now to give 75mgs of asprin. This keeps changing but it is advised at the moment! I also have avoided everything chemical, even paracetamol so I really freaked the first week of taking it and was sure I was harming the baby but so far it seems to be doing good and working!

I hope you don't develop it and that that my ramblings help you a bit. XXXXXXX

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi - I've been taking the same aspirin dose along with clexane since the off. And I am the sort of person who won't wear moisturiser with any essential oils that aren't checked for pregnancy! I had notching and high resistance at my 20 week scan at which point the consultant said that I was at high risk for pre eclampsia, and that the best treatment was to continue with the aspirin and clexane. It seems well established - and worthwhile, and I'm really happy to take it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

And well done daxcat on your low bp and getting so far without baby showing up! I count down every day that baby is tucked up inside too!

And remember, a risk is just a risk, and it doesn't mean it will happen. Best wishes both!
Sue

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Ladies
Thanks for your replies.
Since having a further discussion with another consultant this week I am feeling more happy about taking it.

Take care

1 - 4 of 4 Posts