Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

I was started on 25mg prednisone when I got my BFP and then taken down to 12.5mg at 11 weeks. My doctor asked me to lower the dose to 5mg at 14 weeks (to eventually ween me off) but I haven't because I am afraid to (and I'm not sure I'll tell him  :-X

I had very slightly raised NK cells pre-pg (14%) that have become higher in pg (17%). My doctor is not at all a believer in NK cells or steroids for that matter (I insisted) but he says that long term use is bad for the bones and kidneys.

At what stage of pg has anyone else been taken off of steroids and were you on them for NK cells?

Thanks for any input
mayve

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've used the same dose (25mg of prednisolone) for NK cells in two pregnancies & have always been completely off it before 14 weeks. I reduce the dose at 8 weeks, then 11 & then off completely at 12 or 13 weeks. My OB really didn't want me taking prednisolone after 12 weeks. My NK levels were very similar to yours btw.

I'd urge you to be honest with your doctor about the dose you are still taking, steroids are not without complications in pregnancy - there is some evidence that they can interfere with the way the membranes develop and an association with cleft palate. It's obviously a matter of weighing relative risks but I wouldnt self medicate.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Faraday --

he didn't mention ANYTHING about adverse side effects to baby!

OMG Total PANIC !!!!!!!!

Down to 5 today!

beating myself up  ^bigbad^
mayve

·
Registered
960 Posts
Mayve,

Please don't panic - Predisolone des not cross the placenta !  I was on them for 16w as my CD19 levels were slightly elavated after I have IVIg too... I also worried about the effects of the baby but have been told by a few doctors that it doesn't cross the placenta. The most common time that girls seem to start weaning of is at 12w...

Lexi

·
Banned
2,001 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just to clarify that prednisolone does cross the placenta but just in very small amounts.  Some studies have associated some pred. use with growth retardation, premature rupture of membranes and cleft palate so it makes sense to prescribe them during pregnancy for as little time as possible and end at approx 12 weeks before the 2nd trimester.

The chances of any harm to your baby are very small, but self medicating is not a good idea and you really need to follow your doctor's advice on this one.  Glad you are weaning off them slowly as this is also required after steroid use.

I know how hard this is having had several miscarriages before carrying twins to term using Prednisolone, so I am not unaware of the desire to continue because you are scared to wean off.  Please talk to your doctor about your concerns.  Most women wean at 12 weeks and have no ill effects but no drug is without side effects and most are best taken for as short a time as possible.

Be assured though that Prednisolone during pregnancy is one of the more widely studied drugs because many, many women have taken it during pg without any ill effects to their babies and it is the steroid which least crosses the placenta.

Best of luck,

Daisy
x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts