Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
This might sound like I'm completely mad, however, I happened to read a review on the internet, on the above mentioned prenatal vitamins today and it was not very encouraging regarding the promise of numerous vitamins and the reality of what was actually contained within. 

My question is - has anyone been advised not to take this during pregnancy or on the flip side, has anyone had this recommended by their doctor?  My concern is completely centered around the amount of folic acid contained in these tablets in relation to the RDA, regardless of what is printed on the back of the box.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I take it but never had it reccomened or told not to by dr. When I was 1st pregnant with DD I was given a precription for folic acid from Dr and that was the same as in pregnacare

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I've taken them with each pregnancy and also whilst BF'ing. No one has ever said to take them but then no one has ever said not to and the midwife knew.

Was it a reliable source you read it on?

Chux xx

·
Registered
817 Posts
I'm also taking them, and haven't been advised to or advised against, but I know lots of other pregnant women who are taking them too. I did read that ideally you should try and get your vitamins and minerals from dietary sources, because our bodies don't absorb supplements as well, but hadn't heard any dubiety about the stated content of these tablets.

Best wishes and good luck,
Elaine  ^daisy^ 

·
Registered
849 Posts
my sister is a midwife and preg she takes them
she also gave me some one of the times i was preg as she got some samples at work
im sure they must be ok

:)

kate

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Everyone - thanks so much for the replies - you have completely put my mind at ease. I just got so worried when I read the review, the first thing I was worried about was my folic acid intake, and whether I was taking enough.  However, from your answers, I think its safe to assume that Pregnacare does what it says on the box, and perhaps the review may not have been from the most reliable.

Thanks again & best wishes to you all  :)

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
i got preg sadly miscarried was taking pregnacare so i guess it helped me get preg  ;D

and sw prof ledger advised taking pregnacare and he said that was fine  ^hugme^

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
I'm taking them too and Consultant was fine about it.xx

·
Registered
302 Posts
I don't like pregnacare, but that is because they made me feel really ill rather than there being anything wrong with them.  I switched to Zita West vitamins and feel much better.  The vitamin content is spread throughout the day which seems to help you retain more (especially if you are being sick).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi DJCJ

I'm currently 26 weeks pregnant and have been taking pregnacare (with the omega 3 combined) since i found out.  When i had my first appointment with the midwife at 7 weeks she told me that it was perfectly fine to carry on taking them.  When i had my first set of bloods taken at 13 weeks my midwife informed me that my iron level was very good and she was pleased with the rest of the results.  It may have nothing to do with the pregnacare but in the past my iron has always been a bit low.

Take Care

Angellangers

·
Registered
643 Posts
I take them as they were recommended by fertility nurse prior to my iui.  I must admit that now pg they make me feel a bit icky but try to go to bed as soon as I've taken them (with food) so I don't feel rank all day

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm taking them as well.  I think the important thing is that they are taken on a full stomach.

Tracy xxx

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I took pregnacare every morning with OJ when pregnant with DD, now Im taking Pro natal!!...just thought Id try summin different!  :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts