Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Peter,

I understand a number of women become pregnant, prior to IVF, while sniffing 'IVF shutting down drugs' such as Buseralin or Syneral. The so called 'sniffer babies!!'

I am confused, as I was led to believe that these types of drugs, shut down the ovaries, and changed the lining of the womb, so an embryo could not implant, making a spontaneous pregnancy very difficult.

Is it, therefore, just a very rare occurence, for these types of pregnancies to occur, prior to IVF? Or do these drugs not affect conceiving at all, and I have got the wrong information?

Also can you tell me, would there be problems if one fell pregnant, while sniffing these shut down drugs? Would these drugs affect the pregnancy/baby at all?

Thank You

Nadine

·
Registered
856 Posts
Nadine said:
Dear Peter,

I understand a number of women become pregnant, prior to IVF, while sniffing 'IVF shutting down drugs' such as Buseralin or Syneral. The so called 'sniffer babies!!'

Yes, but conception occurs usually before sniffing commences and the cases are very rare.

I am confused, as I was led to believe that these types of drugs, shut down the ovaries, and changed the lining of the womb, so an embryo could not implant, making a spontaneous pregnancy very difficult.

Yes but embryos can be very persistent!

Is it, therefore, just a very rare occurence, for these types of pregnancies to occur, prior to IVF?

Yes

Or do these drugs not affect conceiving at all, and I have got the wrong information?

They down regulate the whole reproductive system so unless fertilisation occurs just before the drugs take effect then pregnancy is impossible

Also can you tell me, would there be problems if one fell pregnant, while sniffing these shut down drugs?

If the drugs were continued then there would be consequences to the pregnancy

Would these drugs affect the pregnancy/baby at all?

They are not recommended in pregnancy

Hope this helps!

Peter

Thank You

Nadine

1 - 2 of 2 Posts