Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help..im stimming at present and hubby has booked 2 weeks in dominican republic in june for 2 weeks..if i were to be bfp 2nd time around at this ivf lark. ec feb 14th.. i would be 4 mths gone ... i know i would be able to fly up to 26 -34 weeks poviding im ok etc my question is as its got lots of mozzies........malaria and pills!!!!!!!!!!! would i take pills or not or should i cancel holiday?? sorry its so long winded.. would dom rep be a high risk area for malaria and pregnancy?
thanks
marzy

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi Marzy,

I went to the dominican republic 18 months ago for my honeymoon. I took nothing before I went.  I did get 21 mosquito bites though that I had an allergic reaction to, they made my legs and feet swell up and the bites turned purple, they were very nasty and I cried most days. Having said that Dominican republic is not a high risk area for malaria its more the jungle areas you need to be careful of.

I was pregnant however when I booked a holiday to Barbados and would have been about 4 months, I had to cancel because of the injections needed but I did get my money back with a medical certificate.

Hope this helps

NN xx

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply..
it has certainly put my mind at rest.
good luck in april.
take care
marzy

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Marzy
not a nurse but here's what I've read....
Flying at that stage is ok but you'll need to get up and walk round more than normal as preg women are at higher risk of deep vein thrombosis. Special flight socks might be an idea.

Re mozzies - they love me by the way!- perhaps you could find out if citronella is safe as a repellent. There are loads of natural repellents on the market.  And if you keep your ankles and any other very vulnerable bits covered (where practical - we;re not talking about wearing a bee kepers suit here!) at dusk that should help a fair bit. 

Besides, if I were you I wouldn't cancel cos I'd want to tempt fate that I'd get preg !!!

Good luck

Elvie

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
elvie
good luck with pregnancy and well done!!
i am also hoping that im tempting fate.....
would probably still go providing all was well. i was just wondering what other girls would do ref anti malaria and mozzies etc.. just have to wait and see
take care
marzy

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
With regards to the Deep Vein Thrombosis on flights, I would suggest keep moving and special flight socks (bearing in mind that you feet could swell in pregnacy anyway, so keep an eye that they are not too tight)

Also keep an eye out for a special excercise blow up pillow thingy, that its especially for DVT. My MIL brought me one from Avon when I had DVT last year.
It basically is a blow up pillow, with 2 chambers and half blown up. You press down on one half then press on the other, moving the air backwards and forwards. Or you can cheat with anything that can be blown up, that wouldn't pop obviously  ;D Or just pretend and do that action on your own, but you may look a little silly and just look like you need to loo or something  ;D

Shelley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts