Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girlies,
I wanted to start this thread as I keep getting told to do/don't do different things whilst being pregnant. Everyone seems to have a different opinion and I'm left wondering about whether to believe or not ???
The first myth that's bugging me is my Nanna keeps telling me is not to cross my legs. She says it's bad for the baby(s). My Mum says this is rubbish but I keep thinking about it. I have heard this lots of times but does anyone know if there is any truth to this or not?
Anyone else keep getting told different stuff? Post them here and let's see if we can get to the bottom of them together.
Sarah xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
The only bad thing i can think of ref crossing your legs is that it is bad for the circulation and can increase your risk of DVTs.... other than that i don't htink it's 'bad luck' or anything?!?

I know what you mean though - everyone wants to give you their opinion/view/i know someone who did somehting news....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
You're more likely to get varicose veins if you cross your legs - circulation thing I think!

·
Registered
960 Posts
My family also keep telling me off if I cross my legs which is really annoying as I do alot of reading and have never read anywhere that you cannot cross your legs.. Be interesting to see what replies you get.

Lexi

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I agree on the legs and varicose veins but that goes for when you're not pregnant too! Sit with your feet up as much as you can, just not crossed. ;D ;D

Chux xx

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I've got another one for ya.
Do your baby(s) steal ??? the calcium from your teeth?
I know that they need calcium to grow but...stealing it from us????
Sarah xx

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I read recently that you need to increase calcium intake as your baby will take all it needs so if you haven't provided more then the baby will take yours, infact thats the same for anything your baby will never starve if you don't eat, it will make you feel poorly instead!

Charming hey?!

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Your teeth can suffer during pregnancy and that is why you get free dental care and for a year afterwards. As Bev says, your baby will take priority and have what he/she needs - you get what's left over!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
I'd say yes to both! My Dad was in hossie a few years back with heart trouble & the nurse shouted at him for crossing his legs in bed - very bad for circulation & clots. As for teeth if you've a diet poor in calcium them yes bubs will rob it from your teeth & bones, an old family friend had ver bad teeth after her 2 pgs & eventually had them all taken out :eek:

·
Registered
6,581 Posts
I cross my legs all the time! But I'm a real fidget - I cross and uncross and cross them the other way so many times in an hour I don't think there's any risk of DVT. You'll know pretty quick if you're risking clots - you get cramps in your leg muscles when pregnant if you don't stay on the move.

Here's an old wives' tale for you - the linea negra (sp?) is meant to go up to your breasts if it's a boy, but just to your belly button if it's a girl. I'm having a boy and that's true for me, but what about everyone else?  ???

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi girls, what an interesting thread :)

OK, as for the crossing legs thing: I sit with my legs crossed all the time, because I work at home, in front of a computer (writing & reading) & my 'natural' position is with legs crossed. I do agree with what the others have said, now that I think of it. It's probably not the best thing for circulation reasons. However, I really don't think it harms the baby at all... why would it?

As for 'babies stealing calcium from your teeth'. That's actually true. Babies need lots of calcium to grow, and if the mother doesn't take enough from her diet (e.g. milk, cheese, maybe also calcium supplements) then the baby will simply take the calcium from the pregnant mother's bones & teeth. Which is why some women who don't take care of their calcium intake actually may even lose teeth during pregnancy (my partner's mother was such a case... she was careless about these issues, and the result was her teeth condition really deteriorated during pregnancy).

I had no idea about the 'linea *****' thing! In my case, it's actually true, I'm having a boy & it does extend to my breasts :) But I suspect this is complete rubbish, like all the 'is it a boy? is it a girl'? old wives' tales :).

Here's 2 more myths for you. One piece of advice given to me by my grandmother, the other by my mother. My grandmother has insisted throughout my pregnancy that I don't reach upwards (e.g. to get something from a high cupboard) because supposedly it's dangerous for the baby. The idea behind this is that the baby's umbilical cord will wrap around his/her neck when mothers reach high like that. I googled this & asked around & it turns out it's complete rubbish, but it does seem to be a myth that was popular at the time when my grandmother was having babies. Has anyone been told this, I wonder?

The second one seems to me even more ridiculous, and my mother is the one who's given me this advice, at least 2-3 times! The idea is that when I open my bowels, I shouldn't strain at all (even if constipated) because it's dangerous for the baby! This one really doesn't make sense, as I've told my mother several times, because it's not as if it can even be controlled! If you strain, you strain! But still, even though I've told her I don't believe in this, she still (tentatively) insists, because she was told this by her...doctor, when she was pregnant. Anyone has heard this one?

Hope this thread keeps going, I find it really interesting.
C.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Cassandra,

I was told the 'dont strain' one by both my mum who is a nurse and has four children and also by my....wait for it.... midwife 11 years ago when I was expecting DS! :eek:

Know what you mean though, bit of a struggle (excuse the pun ;D ) to do anything but, when your bunged up! ;)
Have to say I sit there (TMI!) and tell myself 'Dont strain, Dont strain!!' Half hour later when nothing has in fact happened I give up on that theory! ^roflmao^

Mae.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Girlz,
My mum keeps telling me not to strain too!!! How can we help it? As you all say if you need to strain then....we just have to  ;D  ;D
Bending down is also REALLY bad for baby according to my Nanna. She knows someone who squashed her baby by doing this  ^idiot^ and caused the baby to have a misshaped head!!!! "She was an ugly little thing" apparently. My Nanna's full of tact!!!!
Sarah xx

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
The not straining thing is so you don't get piles, which you are more likely to when pg!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another one I've been told to look out for is......if you're carrying your bump low then you're having a girl and if you're carrying bump high then it's a boy? Any truth to this one?? My Mum swears by this one. She also said that if you put LOADS of weight on your bum and hips during pregnancy then it's gonna be a boy??
Sarah xx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I have one of each flavour and carried both exactly the same, with the same amount of nausea etc so all the 'guess the sex' myths are a load of rubbish AFAIC!

Doesn't stop me trying to work out what this one will be mind you. ;D

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Didn't have a linea ***** at all with either pregnancies- both girls!

Also if you get loads of heartburn then baby is going to have lots of hair- both girls born bald and heather finally got her head of hair between 14m-2y! Lucy still bald and shiny headed! I had heartburn so badly through both pregnancies that at one point i thought the chest pain was so bad i was going to die!  ;D

Complete rubbish!  ^idiot^

·
Premium Member
12,126 Posts
I did have heart burn and M did have lots of hair - however i think this is more likely cos she was a huge lump and pushing on my stomach!!!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I like this thread!!

Crossing legs - as others have said, also if you have SPD (pelvic pain) then crossing legs puts more pressure on your hips, so best not too.

Calcium, babies do take your supply so extra needed, also have to be careful of something called gingivitis, where gums get all inflamed. So use your free nhs dental checks while you can. Something for nothing is always good!

linea negra - mine goes all the way up and I think we're having 2 girls, so myth busted as they say  ;D

stretching - I've heard this too and get a little worried after stretching, but they move round so much I dont think it can be a problem. I've even seen them with it round neck at one of our earlier scans. Consulatnt didn't seem too bothered and said oh well they'll move agin soon, plenty of space. Maybe just be more aware of this at the end when they have less space to move?

Sal

·
Premium Member
6,212 Posts
I know i am not pg anymore  :( but i wanna put my bit in  ;D

I carried very low all the way through pg and i had a little girl!
When pg my DD took my calcium, i had to have a root canal due it and its the first treatment i have ever had to have on my teeth in all my life!!

Thats it for me

Happy PG's ladies

x x x

1 - 20 of 24 Posts