Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can I eat smoked salmon?? I am presuming not beacuse I really want some, everything else I really want I can't have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi,

yes you can, it is a good source of protein, funny enough ive just been reading about it, its high in protein and thats good for egg quality.

Julie

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I am not certain, but I didn't think you could eat it if you are pregnant - it is classed as raw fish, which you cannot eat.

Crystal
xx

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Lolly,

I hope we can, I've been craving it too. In fact I eat £3 worth for lunch the other day - couldn't help myself! ;D

Nicnack x

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

I thought that you couldn't eat it if you were pregnant but I'm not sure. Have my scan on Thursday so will ask at the clinic ~ Will just have to dream about it until then!

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
From the Food Standards Agency ....

I've heard that pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid some types of fish. Why is this?

You can eat most types of fish when you're pregnant or breastfeeding. Eating fish is good for your health and the development of your baby. But you should avoid some types of fish and limit the amount you eat of some other types.

When you're pregnant or planning to get pregnant, you shouldn't eat shark, swordfish or marlin. You should also limit the amount of tuna you eat to no more than two tuna steaks (weighing about 140g when cooked, or 170g raw) or four medium-size cans of tuna a week (with a drained weight of about 140g per can).

This is because these fish contain more mercury than other types of fish. The amount of mercury we get from food isn't harmful for most people, but if you take in high levels of mercury when you're pregnant this could affect your baby's developing nervous system. When you're breastfeeding you don't need to avoid shark, swordfish or marlin, or limit the amount of tinned tuna you eat.

When you're pregnant, you should generally avoid having more than two portions of oily fish a week, such as salmon, trout, mackerel and herring, because it can contain pollutants such as dioxins and PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls).

Remember that fresh tuna is an oily fish, so if you eat two fresh tuna steaks in one week, you shouldn't eat any other oily fish that week. Tinned tuna doesn't count as oily fish, so you can eat this on top of the maximum of two portions of oily fish (as long as it's not fresh tuna or swordfish). But remember not to eat more than four medium-sized cans of tinned tuna a week when you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

There is no need to limit the amount of white fish you eat when you're pregnant or breastfeeding, apart from shark and marlin.
Source : http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/healthydiet/fiasandshellfishq/#A219871

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
I love smoked salmon, but only ate cooked salmon whilst pg and stayed within the limits as outlined in Tony's post.  My understanding is that it's only safe if cooked due to the risk of Listeria.  Smoked salmon is essentially raw and therefore the Listeria (if present) will not have been erradicated by the heat of cooking. 

My motto though is .... if in doubt, leave it out!  Just not worth the risk. 

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Sorry, was just passing and saw the headline and had to stop to read as I love smoked salmon too!  Could you not have it cooked?  I know it's not quite the same but is fantastic on pizza and in pasta dishes.

I'll stop poking my nose in now!

Fluffs xx

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Smoked salmon is not raw fish because it is SMOKED - rather than boiled or fried.  However, I guess it would have just as much risk as other cooked and chilled meats etc of harbouring bacteria, so if you're not sure, or it looks like it's been sitting around for ages not properly chilled, then avoid it.  

The FSA doesn't say anything specific about it, so personally I'm taking that to mean it's ok occasionally.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Hi all ~ my GP told me that it was absolutely fine to eat while pg and i ate it a lot through pg and b/f. As long as it is fresh there shouldn't be any probs at all.......UK Food Standards Agency don't advise you to stop if you don't want to. (i'd buy organic though as it's undyed)

Lizzy xxx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Yes, I realise that it's not raw because it has been smoked, but nonetheless it is 'essentially raw' as it has not been cooked at high temperatures that kill off the listeria - like during boiling or frying.

It does seem though that it is safe to eat whilst pg and I'm gutted I didn't realise that.  I love it, and avoided it like the plague whilst pg because I thought it was on the list of foods to avoid  :(  I did have 'cooked' salmon though, so still got the omega 3 my boys needed to grow big and strong - and they did!  ;D

Jayne x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Funnily enough I'm having pasta and smoked salmon for tea tonight!!  :p :p :p
All you do is cut up the smoked salmon very small, parboil some chopped asparagus, add to some warmed single cream, heat the salmon through, stir into pasta (fusilli or shells) and sprinkle on parsley.  It doesn't need parmesan.
^chef^
Enjoy - the salmon's cooked so it can't hurt you!

Claire x

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Actually it depends on wether the salmon is hot smoked or cold smoked. If cold smoked, it is just cured and as Jayne said, is still essentially raw! it is the feezing process straight after that gets rid of the parasites.

Basically, I think if you are worried, don't eat it.

xx

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
HI there,

Sounds like there are a few conflicting thoughts, but I just thought I'd put in my two cents.  When I became pregnant, I bought a pregnancy nutritian book.  It says that refreigerated smoked meat such as "smoked", "nova-style", "lox" or "jerky" should not be eaten because of risk of liseriosis which can cause miscarriage and premature labour  Personally, lox is one of the two foods that I'm really missing (that, and coffee).  Things like meat pates and spread as well as unpasterized cheeses/milk also fall under this caterogy and should be avoided.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hiya

I have eaten smoked almon all along and did specifically check it out and it is fine to eat as long as you are careful that it is fresh.  I will qualify this a little and say I have always eaten a lot of this type of food and so will have built up some resistance to this - its probably not something I would eat as a craving.

If you are worried then you still get the flavour if you cook it.  It is cooked when it turns a pale pink colour.

Clare

1 - 16 of 16 Posts