Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only just found out that my ivf has been a success, but already i am wondering what is safe to do during pregnancy.

I have been off work for a while now, and am not going back as my job was too physical, heavy lifting etc.. and i dont want to take any chances. At the same time, sitting at home all day will make me pile on the pounds so what can i do? I have no intention of running a marathon but is there some gentle excercise i can do safely?

Leanne xx

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
hey Leanne - I have the same question too!
After about 5 weeks of no exercise I can feel my love handles and bum getting flabbier and although I would never do anything that will put the pg in jeopardy I really want to do a little exercise. Apparently the right kind of exercise in pg is really healthy anyway.
Would be really interested to hear anyone's answers about what we can and can't do

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
hey girls,

In my pregnancy I started swimming som epeople say do some people say dont. I also went for nice gentle walks, I had to give up squash, as my DR said it was a bit to fast and furious. I also bought a fab book which was areobics for pregnant mummies xxx it came on a video and also with a book.

Tinks xxx

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
You guys can do most forms of exercise to stop the flab!! Swimming is great as is walking; you can still go to the gym but ensure you speak to someone who can then point out those exercises you can´t do. They are quite used to being asked that question. It is mainly a matter of not straining tummy muscles or pushing yourself too far. Being sensible!!!

Ruth

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Thanks Ruth - very useful info

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi Elvie,

Congratulations on your pregnancy, I hope you dont mind me jumping in I used to be an aerobics instructor so ive got a couple of bits of info you might like....

Overall its great to exercise during pregnancy as long as your comfortable but there are just a couple of things to take into consideration....

If you do any weight classes or work in the gym, after the first trimester its really important you dont go into what is known as the vasalva position, which is laying on your back whilst lifting weights above your head as the breathing usually adopted in this position can briefly stop the blood flow to the placenta, which isnt good for baby.  Try to stick with resistance training in a gym where your sitting up and remember to exhale on effort.

Also if you are into a bit of weight training, remember that you will need to reduce your weights because of the relaxin hormone in your body which doesnt allow your joints to be as strong as they would normally be.

And last but not least, yoga in pregnancy is supposed to be fantastic and apparently really helps during the labour because you learn how to breathe properly.

Hope that helps.....

Good Luck, Love Andrea x

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the ideas girls, if i had the energy i would join the gym  ;D ;D

Yoga has always interested me, may book a class and see how it goes.

Thanks again,

L xx

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Great info Andrea
I am a committed tennis player but I just don't feel comfortable doing that as I play quite aggressively!!
I think I'm going to wait a few more weeks and then start with gentle exercise and see how I feel about it.  I think when you've tried for so long to have a pg and then you get a bfp it makes you extra cautious and I can definitely say I am being so!
Think I'll try yoga too - I guess I should tell the instructor I'm pg though - hope there's no one I know in the class!

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Teq

I have just walked and at 17weeks I took up pregnancy yoga - really nice

Clare

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi - excellent topic!

I'm also off work to reduce stress, etc, and do try to get out to walk the dog, though this time it's been harder due to weather and worrying about the pains I've been experiencing since EC (fainted as I left the clinic and had to be wheeled back in by a lovely auxillary who happened to be passing by).

Are there any pregnancy yoga DVD/videos available? Even if I'm BFN on Mon 25th, I guess I could still benefit from any kind of yoga!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts