Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any American ladies on the board who can offer some advice.

I am just over 7 weeks pregnant and my DH has been offered a job in Chicago which he plans to take with a view to moving over there in the next 3 months...I will follow. We have had to tell his employers about my pregnancy (despite it being such early days) as they needed to sort out our medical insurance and we had to declare any pre existing conditions!

I need to understand what is the standard care given to pregnant women in the US as I am aware that the NHS doesn't exisit. Do I pay all my own medical expenses? How would I register with a hospital/ midwife? What can I expect to pay? As I am not a US citizen would there be a problem with me giving birth in the US?

Any general advice about being pregnant and the US system would be a great help....

Thanks
Clover

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Hi Clover

Yuo should be covered by your medical insurance.  I will send a friend of mine who is a member on here a link to this topic as she moved to the States at 20 weeks pregnant.

Clare

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi Clover

I am the 'friend' !!  i moved to south Carolina at 20 weeks and i am now 26 weeks, do you want to go to the chatroom, so we can chat about it???

Nicki x x

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hi

We knew when we were going through IVF that we would be moving out the the US.  so it takes some time to sort out, although there is no real proven info, i decided i wanted to get over 12 weeks before i flew, but it will take you longer than that to sort out the Visa's.

As far as insurance is concerned, it is a lot better now that 2 years ago, the way we had it explained to us is that although it is good to tell them, your medical circumstances it will not affect your coverage. (my husband is a Leukemia survivor and still had regular medical consultations etc) so with that and my pg we had to ENSURE we had sufficient medical cover.  There was a law passed about 2 years ago, that as long as you have existing medical cover, they can not ask you about any medical conditions that may affect your policy, and the NHS counts as medical cover.
We have insurance through a company called Cigna and we have the Open access policy, which means we do not have to have a referral from a Dr (PCP), you can go to any consultant, or medical clinic you want. you do however have to pay a co-pay, for Dr visits and for drugs etc our co-pay for Dr's is $25, but we don't mind as the Dr's over here have everything you need in house, x-rays, bloods, ultrasounds etc.  i am now under the care of a OB/GNY clinic for my pregnancy, and they look after you and you see Dr's then one of the Dr's will be who deliver you.

You will however need to check out the hospitals around you, being Chicago, it should be fine, but down here in the south, they do things far more medial than i like so i am looking into a birthing center, which is also covered by my insurance, so don't worry about it, would be my advice!

We love the States and i would advise anyone to go for it if you get the chance, don't let having a baby/child hold you back, we lived out here nearly 4 years ago and we also lived in Shanghai, China, and we had many friends with children and i think it is great for them , as long as you are reasonably settled by the time school comes around! 

Also our insurance covers fertility treatment upto $20K!!  so it's not all as bad a you think, yes if you don't have insurance it can cost thousands but, those days are long gone really, especially if you are being transfered through a company. 

I hope i haven't babbled too much! if i haven't answered any questions then just ask! We are also in the middle of buying a house and just bought our cars etc!

Also remember, when it comes to moving your belonging's it is an international move so you are not allowed to pack a single item, they have to pack it and at the other end, they will unpack and unwrap everything and take the 'trash' rubbish away also!!!  So there is nothing to worry about!  Just bring your winter undies!!

Best wishes and don't hesitate to contact me!

Love Nicki x x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I am just starting IVF in Colorado (we're both Brits). Have to say that Dr's and hospitals here are FAB! All pregnancy related stuff should be covered by your insurance BUT you nearly have to know as much about the system as you can. Make sure your OB/GYN AND the hospital are accepted by the same insurance. Bizarrely a friend of mine had her OB covered but not to deliver at the hospital in which he works!!! You even have to make sure the nursing care is also covered!
There's no such thing as midwives (well there are but you pay for them) and you get NO help after leaving hospital - we don't have health visitors who come to your house. You can hire a baby nurse but it's pretty pricey.
Just be aware of what the claims are actually for to the insurance company - it's all done on codes and one slip and your claim will be rejected.
Hope this helps,
Anna

1 - 6 of 6 Posts