Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls  :)

I just got a quick question and I really hope someone can help me.

Is it safe to take another supplement of folic acid ?  I had my consultation on Friday to start another cycle of icsi.  My Dr said a good intake of folic acid goes along way.

Allways the worrier  I'm frightend I'm not absorbing enough folic acid.  I take pregnacare but was wondering for my own peace of mind would it hurt taking another folic acid supplement on top of my pregnacare ?

I think I going mad !!!!!!. 

Thanks girls, Natalie xxxxxx

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi there Natalie

I am not a nurse but can say that in the UK they say 400mg of Folic acid per day (I take the cheap tesco one and my clinician here said it is fine) but in Australia they recommend 700mg per day so I took a different one out there in the form of a multivitamin. My clincian in Australia said I could take the 400mg and eat conrflakes or Special K every morning with folic acid added soy milk and that would do it on the folic acid anyway.

HTH'

Megan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Megan

Thanks for your reply  :)

Best of luck with your tx

luv, Natalie  :-*

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Hi Natalie

It's only recommended to take higher doses of folic acid if you have a family history of spina bifida, or have already had a child affected by a neural tube defect. 

As for whether taking a high dose to be cautious would cause problems, I really don't know.  Probably best to get medical advice on that one. 

I just took the bog standard amount that the supplement provided and ate fortified cereals and vegetables that I knew contained folic acid.  Marmite is great too  ;)  (if you like it of course  ;D ).

Good luck  ^fairydust^

Love

Jayne x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts