Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive done a few searches for this topic but can not find anything, now I know its been said a few times that prepacked salad should be avoided but cannot for the life of me remember why or even think why - can anyone shed any light on this for me.

Thanks ladies.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hi Im not sure whether this is right but have read on FF that the gas/air they use to keep the salad fresh in the bag is not good for sperm and i supose not good for us either? I have stopped eating bagged salad as i thought better to be safe than sorry! Hope this helps
stacy

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Wow, what an eye opener!! I buy a packet of pre~packaged lettuce weekly, mostly as it has a mixture of lettuce leaves that we both like, but I think I'm going to stick to the regular lettuce now!

Glad I saw this, I'm doing my weekly shop today!

Marie xx

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Hello

I had heard it can be washed in Chlorine an antibacterial which keeps the salad free from bugs.  Cant be very safe for us though I wouldn't have thought  ^Bubble Gum^

Yoda

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
I read it in a magazine ages ago that you shouldnt eat the prepacked salad or even just the bags of lettuce as it could cause problems in pregnancy. It was ages ago now though and i couldnt tell you which magazine it was.

love kimx  x x

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Hi
I think the risk in pregnancy is listeria. 
And it's nutritionally dubious.  Much better to have a fresh lettuce you wash and chop yourself.

Claire x

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, think I'll be sticking to out the bag lettuce and making my own fresh salad from now on - it is scarey though isn't it - you think you are buying something healthy but god only knows what process its gone through before it gets to you - wish we could afford purely organic but we simply can't!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hi

I was told this as well about pre-packed salad and have avoided it ever since.  Also was told by my midwife to avoid supermarket bought pre-packed sannies as you really don't know how long some of them have been on the shelves for!!

I buy sangers from Greggs regularly but I know they re-stock their shelves many times throughout the day and they are always really fresh.

Yet another thing that most of us probably don't think about eh?

Love

Karen xxx

·
Premium Member
10,520 Posts
Blimey! I always get bagged lettuce too  :-\ 

So if we get say an iceberg or cos lettuce say and wash and chop ourselves thats ok?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I think I read somewhere that organic bagged lettuce is OK, but definitely keep clear of the normal bagged stuff.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DH bought so prepacked spinach home tonight - I opened it and there was a sliver of thin plastic film inbetween a bunch of leaves I took out!  Hmmmmmm - scarey!

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Hi all

I was told to rewash any prepackaged salad to get rid of what they rinse it in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.