Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi girls

HAving a c section end of june and my dad who lives in thailand is coming over and he can only stay a few days so wanted to pay for private room in the nhs hospital so baby and dad could have time together and we could be in private. Has anybody else done this or knows anyone who has.

Thanks

Love
Kel

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I had my girls at queen Charlotte's in London and as i had C sec i was going to be in for a few days I payed £140 per night , and it was well worth it .    Not only for visitors but also for showering ect after birth and not having to shuffle along to the nearest bath room.

good luck
nico

·
Premium Member
6,719 Posts
I did this when I had F ... and ... shhhh  ;) ... they never sent me the bill  :)

I think they were going to charge about £50 per night ... all the private room was, was a side room off the ward, with ensuite.  Wasn't huge or particularly special and the usual visiting rules applied.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
  I to was only charged for 2 nites and i was there for 3 ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Hi

I was put straight in a side room after my (planned) csection....I think the ward was full....!

Seriously I think the usual charge would have been £150 pn (another hospital nearby charges 3x that Ive been told.....) bu I didnt pay.

it was great to have my own room but the downside was not being on the ward you could get forgotten about.  I called out the mw at 9.30pm and finally got to see someone after she came past at 12...at 2.30am....I think they had forgotten me and couldnt hear k screaming the place down...

usual visiting rules were meant to apply but they let mil in outside the hours as I was not on the ward and we kept low profile.

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
I got a room to myself too. A freebie!!  ;D ;D

I didn't have a section or anything but then I didn't get onto the postnatal ward til about 11pm so maybe I was put there so I didn't disturb the others.

Was a bit lonely tho.... far end of the ward with no bathroom of my own. I had my door open during the day and unless I or the woman opposite rang, we didn't see a soul for ages.

Oh, and DH was still chased out of the ward once I was in my room!! They wouldn't even let him stay for 5mins!!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Hi,

I had a private side room after having ds2 and ds3 - all very nice - but same visiting rules did apply.

You may want to give your local unit a call to get the low down on how they work  :)

S xxx

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I ended up having to stay in hospital for 6 nights when I had dd and got moved into a single room after nearly having a breakdown on the 4th night - I was on a ward of 10 and it was just awful. Anyway, I was talking to bawling on one of the midwives who said elective sections normally get allocated single rooms but they'd been full when I went in.

When they finally moved me it was like a cheap Butlins holiday but soooooo much better!

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
I wish I;d have been in a room. I got about 3 hours sleep the whole time I was in (admittedly Amy got taken away from the ward by the midwives cos she was the one makeing the racket!) If it wasn't one baby keeping us all up it was another. Then the woman opposite me started screaming tears down the phone at 3am. No one talked to each other and it was horrid.

Think next time I'll just try to go home asap!!!

Deb

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Oh I could have coped if it was just the babies making a noise, but the mums were dreadful! Add to that the lights were left on til gone 11pm some nights and it was just awful, although if I'd escaped after two nights as originally planned I'm sure it wouldn't have been so bad.

Chux xx

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey girls,

So when is the best time to bring up the private room thing and that your willing to pay for it? How much in advance to the section??!!

Thanx, x

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
I would talk to your midwife about it as soon as you've made a decision that you want it.

Wow, 30 weeks with triplets, you must be really feeling it.

Chux xx

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lol, yes everything hurts... especially my tummy as its stretching to new lengths.

My C-Section is scheduled 2 weeks today, but have been told that i will not have the babies with me as they will probably be in special care. So my reasoning is that I don't wanna be in a ward with babies...  :(

Am I being selfish?

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
Angelic

At my local hospital they have a special ward (6 beds) that are for the mums with babies in Special Care etc. Its really nicely done as they have breast pumps and are right next door to the SC ward. It was something we asked about as we weren't 100% that Amy would be ok after her brothers problems.

Its worth asking what your local hospital offers.

Deb

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanx Deb,

I will definitely do so.

xxx

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
(plus all the mums got to talk about their worries/fears) But mostly it was free :)
I guess your pursestrings will be tight with 3 little mouths coming along at once!!! :)

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Angelic discuss with your consultant/ hospital hun, i'm sure there are things in place for this particular case.

Good luck and enjoy your precious babies.

Bev xx

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wouldn't mind paying if it meant that I wasn't surrounded by babies as I know I will be constantly worried about these three!!!! I know I will just be an emotional wreck!!!

I am at the hospital everyday so will discuss this with one of the midwives today and see what they say.

Thanx girls, you have been huge help!

^hugme^

xxx

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I had a side room when Megan was born as she was in NICU and all the other wards were full of mums and babes, and the hospital policy is to put mum's without babes in single rooms, to cause less distress

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Angelic[/b] - Definitely check with your hospital (or even your midwife as she should know) what their policy is as I know the hospital near me keeps single rooms for those who's babies are in NICU.

Chux xx

1 - 20 of 25 Posts