Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, wondering if anyone could help...

I have difficulty with needles but trying my best to be brave.

When I go for blood tests my veins dont show up (the nurses have difficulty finding a vein)...

Once they have found a vein the blood runs away....

Ive got important blood tests to have done, and after being jabbed a few times I say that's it....Ive had enough and there is no blood for the blood tests to be done.. afterwards Im left with bruises. Plus not having certain blood tests done could delay me having treatment. :'( 

Is there anything I can do for the veins to come up before I go for a test?
Will EMLA cream help to anesthetise the area?

Thanks Deborah

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Emla cream will definately numb the area. Re:how to get veins up, I would suggest a brisk walk for 15 minutes before test due as when you get hot the veins come closer to skin to help reduce temperature. I was known as the vampire at Bart´s and this was a good way to speed the process up!!

Ruth

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ruth - I will try that... I usually wait-quiet as a mouse, sitting on a chair,  in preparation for the blood test...this time I will try the walking... Deborah

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Hi,

I also have had some awful experiences of having blood taken, including being stabbed 5 times by 3 different people before they decided it was no good and I'd have to go back the next day. They struggle to find a vein then, by the time they do and prep the needle, the damn thing moves.

Things I have been told is to try and be relaxed (hard to do when you're expecting it to be unpleasant), keep warm, drink plenty of water before having the blood taken, and to open and close the fist whilst sat in the waiting room.

The only other thing with the cream is my sister had some put on her, the veins sunk even further and they ended up having to use the other arm after all.

Fingers crossed it'll be ok for you,

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Hi Deborah,

I have extremely fine veins ... I didn't know this until I started tx!!  All the normal places are no good for me!

I find that that taking blood from my hand is the best place ... if you ask the doctor to do it with a butterfly needle it minimises the pain and the bruising ... it worked for me!!

Hope it's OK for you .... Belinda x

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hiya,

I am a real wimp when it comes to needles and I always have a problem with veins playing hide and seek.

Whenever I go for blood tests I smear some Emla cream on the insides of my arms and on the backs of my hands.  Then I drive to the clinic with the heating on in the car. 

The result is the veins are more visable and it doesn't hurt, no matter where they choose to take blood from.

Good luck Deborah!

Taff x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts