Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! 

I am new to the site, but think it is wonderfull and only wished I had know about you all during my first IVF! 

I am day three post ET and driving myself crazy with anxiety  ^pray^

Yesterday I filled in some time (busy being still and quiet for embies to settle) by surfing the net and discovered a very worrying article - it said that many clinics are now not using progesterone post ET on women with normal womb linings as this can create a situation where the patient will miscarry really early due to the lining becoming so thick it is unsustainable :-[

Has anyone heard of this?  I have of course carried on with all prescribed meds but could do with some reassurance....

Also last night I had mild cramps really low down and felt a heavy dragging in my lower tummy?  I did not havethat last time...is this a good or bad thing? 

Luck and sticky thoughts to all of us!  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for your reply Helen,

I have finally managed to get hold of a nurse at my clinic and she explained that the progesterone is needed as not enough is produced naturally in an IVF cycle. 

I feel much calmer now - well a little calmer....this is the hardest time of the cycles for me! 
^idiot^

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't think I produce enough progesterone naturally as I have a very short luteal phase (10 days) and my temperature dips a number of times.  I mentioned this to the dr and to the nurse doing the insem and both have told me not to worry.  The nurse said they def wouldn't give supplements during a natural cycle anyway.  So I have a sort of opposite problem - trying to convince them to let me have them cos I don't think I have much hope of getting implantation or carrying much further without it.

A bit frustrating, but you have to trust what they tell you even if they are wrong sometimes!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most people just take having children as a given, something they will be able to as and when they want to.  The irony is I spent lots of money and many years trying to avoid getting pregnant and now it is all I can think about!!    :(

You mentioned that you are on a natural cycle IVF?  I have never heard of that - What is it and where are you getting treatment? 

^hugme^

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oh sorry - it's a natural IUI cycle.  The only meds I've had was an HCG shot after I got a positive OPK (so probably would have been fine without it, but just wanted to make 100% sure!

Might go for an assisted cycle next month to help push up my chances, but already starting to dread all the time spent travelling to and from the clinic, all the excuses to give work, all the stress.  So maybe not yet. :-\

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Luckyinluv

Sorry to but in on your thread, but know a little bit about natural IVF. It is IVF without the drugs, as they monitor your natural cycle and, rather than control it with drugs, try to catch the single egg your body produces naturally (assuming ovulation is OK) and then fertilise it and put it back as with normal IVF.

The reason I enquired about it was that my FSH is high, and some clinics believe that high FSH means IVF stimulation drugs won't work.  Clearly the odds of success are lower as there's only one egg. 

The clinic I enquired at for Natural IVF actually ended up offering me normal IVF but with a very low dose of stimulation drugs.

Good luck with your 2ww, am sending you calming thoughts!!  My ET was 9 days ago, so know how you're feeling!!

Liddy x

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that info Liddy! 

That sounds really great but I suppose natural cycle would be better for younger women?  I was told tat as I am 36 my eggs would not be of the greatest quality anymore (reaching their sell by date) and that I would not ovulate naturally every month anymore even though my FSH was fairly low and my AF arrives like clockwork. 

It sounds like great though not to have to take all the injections and have sore and swollen bellies!!! 

Day nine for you...I am now day six and my DP thinks I left my sanity at the clinic on ET day  ::)

Lets hope you get some really good news this weekend and mine follows next week  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts