Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have been for my ten day scan today and as this is our 4th IUI attempt and my luteal phase seems to be a bit short, the clinic have suggested progesterone pessaries. They have said that I can use them vaginally or rectally. They have also said that they could cause thrush. What exactly will these pessaries be for and if they do cause thrush, will I be able to use treatment for it being as I may be in the very early stages of pregnancy?? ???

Kerry

·
Registered
914 Posts
hi kerry
Firstly goodluck with your iui treatment. I may have this wrong but most women produce progesterone, which is a hormone that is produced in pregnancy. Progesterone is needed to build up the lining of the womb so that the embryo can inbed itself.
When you are going for any form of infertility treatment progesterone is given artificially in the form of pessaries. It helps to build up the womb and give your embies a better chance of inbedding itself..also because our body has been shut down during the tx we may not produce it straightaway and they are there to boost it along...
I hope i make sense.....All the best....
regards astridxxx

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Kerry,

Just to let you know that I've had the little white torpedos and didn't get thrush, so hope you won't either. Its not a foregone conclusion that you will get thrush, so try not to worry.

Us the 'back door' if you can - its less messy!

One other thing - they delayed my AF following a BFN for about 6 days when I'm usually as regular as clockwork, so watch out!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,980 Posts
Hi Kerry

I didn't get thrush with them either! If you do get thrush (and are pg) you could treat it by having a salt bath (always works for me) if you didn't want to treat it chemically. I believe that thrush is common in pregnancy anyway so there may be some safe treatments on the market??

I did the evening pessary vaginally and the morning one rectally.

Like Cathy they delayed my AF after my BFN.

Good luck

Nicky 

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone,

Started the pessaries this morning, they have not been as bad as I thought.

I am taking your advice Cathey and doing am rectally and pm vaginally.

Kerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.