Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Shelly,

I think it varies from person to person.  I got a bfn on a short protocol of puregon/cetrotide in April, but I managed to get 3 mature eggs collected despite losing 1 to early follicle rupture.  Next TX the lister are putting me on a long protocol with 2 weeks on the OCP & 1 week of gentle d/r, followed by a slightly lower dose of menopur.  For me, they think this might prevent early ovulation which is always a high risk as I have very high E2 at the beginning of my cycle, suggesting very early lead follicle development.

My original understanding was that a short protocol was likely to produce more eggs for poor responders, while a long protocol might increase the chances of better quality eggs.  However, from what I have read I think that this just varies for each person.  I think the short protocol has been used quite often for women with high fsh/low amh, possibly because they don't want to aggressively d/r us, but I think using the OCP might increase the use of long protocols for poor responders, although I would imagine it depends on your history and what you have or haven't responded to in the past, and also what happened during your TX.

Did you have a follow-up after your last TX?  What is your clinic suggesting for you?

Love Samx

·
Registered
12,048 Posts
I am a poor responder and have had 3 short protocols my last 2 at ARGC were high does puregon 600 IU and cetrotide I have never ovulated early but have always had daily blood monitoring.

Wishing you loads of luck
Lorraine

·
Registered
481 Posts
just to say shelly. when i was undergoing my first treatment, there was a lady on our thread, who had the same respose as you did.  the lister refused to do a ec because of only having one egg. they wanted to send her home without further treatment.  she insisted they did a iui. they also went home and had sex to make sure!!......she was in her early 40's.......she got pregnant and as far as i am aware had a healthy baby.

It only takes the one!!

Good Luck

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hi Shelly,

I really hope it works for you and your little fighter  ^pray^ ^pray^   Keep PMA  ^reiki^ ^reiki^  Several ladies here on FF have gotten their BFPs with one single embie, I still believe that it only takes one  ;)

As I understand, the LP is meant to produce better quality eggs but the SP is more used on poor responders, especially if you have raised FSH, as it takes advantage of its natural surge on your body during days 2-4 of your AF. Is it your 1st tx? I also think that your 1st cycle can always be a bit of a trial as your cons wants to see how you react to the meds.

I'm also a poor responder and on my 1st IVF cycle last month only produce one egg too. I was on a long protocol taking OCP for 21 days, then D/R with Synarel for 1 wk, then Gonal F 450 daily for 10 days. By then I only had one decent follie and, for the cycle not to be abandoned, they changed my meds to Menopur. Had 8 further days of Menopur 450 and that's when I got 'ready' with 3 large follies. It turned out at ec that the 2 new follies were empty. Only one egg was retrieved but I was very happy that it went on to fertilize. Unfortunately it was a BFN for us. But my cons and I used it as a good way of finding out how I responded to the drugs and how we could improve my protocol for 2nd time round.

This time we're trying a short protocol  and different meds. At my age one cannot dilly-dally too much and I'm already on the OCP again (don't ask, my clinic put all of us on the pill even on a SP) but for 15 days only and no down regging. As soon as I have my withdraw bleed early next month I'll go on Clomid, then Menopur 300 and Cetrotide (to prevent ovulation). Hopefuly being on the OCP for a shorter period, skipping D/R altogether and having a lower dose of the meds will get my poor old ovaries to do their business more efficiently this time  ;D

All the best,
Alegria x

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good luck Shelly - didn't realise you were in the middle of your TX!

As the others have said - it only takes 1 & you have a good embie on board, so wishing you a BFP in a weeks time!  ^reiki^

Alegria - looks like we have swapped protocols!  My AF is due sometime next week, so I will hopefully be getting started on the LP as soon as it arrives.  Are you still at Lister?  Wishing you loads of luck  ^reiki^

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Shelly,
Wish you luck for test day next week so you don't have to think about other protocols.
I was on my 1st LP IVF cycle in Apr/may, down reg for over 4 and half weeks on suprecur, then stims with 4 bottles menopur for 10 days but at scan only 1 very smal follicle and uterus no where near. Continued and rescanned 3 days later but little change. Stopped then and was advised BMS that weekend, sadly BFN again.
As I had very good reponses to all the months on clomid and IUI cycles clinic were surprised and said my body didn't like being shut down on LP. They have rearranged cycle and am starting SP today with clomid for 5 days, menopur for 7 days and then a new drug called orgalutran, will hopefully be all done and ready for EC on June 9th, a bit different to the 6+ weeks it took last time. There are reasons why we don't all fit the same treatment so it's worth discussing a change if you need to go again,
                                                                                                                                              Ally

·
Registered
7,783 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hi Shelly,

Good luck, hope you get a bfp and then you wont have to worry about your next cycle.

On my first cycle I was on lp with 225ius of gonal f, this cycle was converted to iui as I only had 1 follicle and I got a bfn. My 2nd cycle I did sp with 375ius of menopur and got 8 follicles and 6 eggs but only 1 egg fertilised and sadly got a bfn. I am due to start again in about 10 days and this time will be doing lp with 450ius of gonal f then this will be mixed with menopur after 7 days. I am a bit nervous about doing lp again as I had such a poor response but the clinic have said that this protocol gives them the best results for poor responders. I might not get as many eggs but I should get more than 1  to fetilise.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi AllyD

I,m also starting on this new drug Orgalutran.
I have a problem with immature eggs and respond poorly to meds so this time theyve put me on pill for 21 days, then start Puregon 400 for 7 days before starting on the orgalutran. I was on suprefact previously but trying this protocol now.

Has anyone any experience of Orgalutran?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi Tracy - I was on Orgalutron on my last tx.  I was on the SP and started my stimming injection then 2 days later started orgalutron and continued until I stopped the stimming drug.  I am sure it is to stop you ovulating.

Hope this helps x

1 - 11 of 11 Posts