Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm sorry this has probably been asked but I can;t find an answer when I search.

I am single and pregnant after anonymous donor IUI via a registered fertility clinic.  If anything were to happen to me going forward I want my sister to become carer for my child. We have discussed this and she would want to do this.

How do I make sure is what would happen?  Do I need to add this to my will?  If that is the case it will take me a little time to arrange that - what would happen in the interim? Sorry this probably sounds very dark but I just want to make sure that all angles are looked at for this precious little bundle.

Thank you for your time, Smiling xxx

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Hi Smiling

To formally appoint another adult to look after your child in the event of your death, you need to make a written appointment which is witnessed by two independent witnesses.  The procedure is exactly the same as for a Will and the reason why most people deal with this in their Wills.

If you die without leaving a valid appointment of guardians, then your sister would need to make an application to the family court to be appointed as your child's guardian, and the court would make a decision about what was in your child's best interests.  In such an application, a clear written indication from you of your wishes would certainly help your sister, so I would recommend that you write a letter in the short term saying you would like her to act as guardian in the event of your death.

However, it's still worth you making a Will appointing her formally when you are able to do this, since if anything happens to you she will then acquire responsibility for your child automatically and won't need to go through a court application.

I hope that's helpful.  Best of luck with the rest of the pregnancy.

Natalie

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. That's very clear.  I will write the letter in the next day or so and make an appointment with the firm who hold my will.

Thanks again.

Smiling x

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.