Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have IHH (idiopathic hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism) - a disorder of the pituitary gland whereby I do not produce ANY LH or FSH and have primary amenorrhoea.  I have had a HSG and it appears that my tubes are not blocked.  Naturally, I do not have periods and do not ovulate due to the lack of LH and FSH.  The fertility clinic is planning on ovulation induction with either Pulsatile GnRH or hMG. 

Could you explain what to expect and how intrusive it would be?  I understand a pump might actually have to be constantly attached to myself and I'm really concerned as to how much it will interfere with my daily life. 

Also could you explain what is hMG?

Sorry for the twenty questions, lastly I work full time and wondered how often I would be visiting the hospital if I was on such treatment?

Many thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
GnRH pump does not have to affect daily life as have had a number of patients on it in the past. Yes, you have a small pump attached to you with a small needle inserted just under the skin and majority of the time no-one can see it unless wearing skimpy clothes!! How many times you would need to go to clinic for depends on the clinic´s policy but on the first cycle where they are trying to get the dosage right for you, you may go more often but at first that is every 7 days until they can see a follicle growing and then you would go more frequently. The success rate of this treatment is very good, over 50% with patients I have known. HMg is daily injections of the actual hormones you are missing and this can hopefully stimulate a follilce to grow. This is usually used if the pump is unsuccessful.
Hope this is of some help. Ask your clinic if they have a patient who has been on the pump who would be happy to speak to you.

Ruth

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.  I know this sounds really vain but the idea of having a pump attached to me all the time just seems really unsexy and clinical.  Is there a better success rate with hMG?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.