Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

As you know we are facing a whole year of waiting before we even get on the prep course (this is because of staff shortages within our LA).

A friend told me that you can use another LA, but I thought you could only use the LA in your area??

Does anyone know whether it is possible to use other LA's?

Many thanks

T x

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hi Milktray

You can't be registered with 2 LA's but there is nothing stopping you from ending your journey with the LA you are with now & going to another SS.

Another member on this board has swapped LA's as she didn't feel she was getting any where in the process - I'm really sorry I can't remember her name (SORRY) but I'm sure once she reads your thread she will reply back to you.

Love
Andrea
xx

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Andrea.

At least this gives me something to think about!

T x

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi T

Sorry to hear about the wait. That is sooooo long.

You can use any LA that is within a 50 mile radius of your home. I would try all the la's in your area, I think being short staffed is a fairly common problem!!

Have you considered a voluntary agency? probably depends where you live. I think the VA's are mainly south/south east based.

Good Luck

H x

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Tracey

We chose one LA and ended up going with another due to them keep delaying the intro evenings.  Its Jenny who has recently changed LA midway in the process. 

Once approved, most LA's work in a consortium arrangement and so in my case for example, we were approved in one LA but would be considered for a match (after 3 months of trying in own LA) with another 13 LA's.

Good luck. 

Karen x

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi, don't know if this is particularly relevant to your question but as has been pointed out already I changed my LA midway through.  I had already done the preparation course and crb police checks with the first LA but then had to wait for 3 months without anything further happening and had to ring every week before my medical forms and reference forms were sent to me.  They made loads of mistakes as well and just made us feel like we were a nuisance and should be quite happy to wait endlessly.  Swapped to another LA who are much better but then we got held up for 4 months as we had to have our crb police checks done again for the new authority.  Are finally just about to begin home study but it has been almost a year to get to this point.

You can contact as many LAs as you like inititally but when you start the adoption process you can only go with one but if you don't like them you can then swap to another.  We live on the border between two local LAs so that is why I was able to do this.  We are lucky in that we could have gone to another 4 LAs if we had wanted to as we live in the West Midlands which is part of a large consortium and we have many LAs close to our house.  From a practical point of view the social workers prefer you to live fairly close to their place of work as it makes their visits to you much easier for them.

All the best

Jenny

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi T,

Mind me asking where abouts you come from? I  have a friend who works for Manchester Children and Families and they are in desperate need of good families and lots of squidlies needing mums and dads. 

good luck xxx L

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All

Thanks for your replies.  We live in Warwickshire and I have tried Worcestershire, Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire County councils.  Worcestershire and Oxfordshire said no and I am waiting for a response from Northamptonshire.  Coventry C.C. have said they will take us on, but the earliest that they could get us on a prep course would be April....

So I think we need to see what Northamptonshire come back with and then if they are a no, we need to decide if we want to stay with Warwickshire C.C. or move to Coventy C.C.  .... oh decisions, decisions!!

T x

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.