Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Peter

Could you please answer a few questions about my DH's sperm test results?

He has had 4 tests in total and 3 of them have been quite high counts. The last one in June '03 was 45million per ml and I don't know the figures for the other bits but we were told they were normal.
The most recent test August '03 (at CARE) came back as 15 million/ml density, 50% motile, grade 2-3 progression and 7% normal forms.
We have been advised that there is nothing wrong with either of us and we can carry on trying naturally if we want. However the results don't seem to indicate this - we are very worried at the huge drop in count and the low number of normal forms. What do you think?
Since we've been ttc for nearly 3yrs the consultant recommended treatment following the standard protocol starting with IUI + clomid for 3 attempts before moving on to IVF - but I'm worried that IUI will be a waste of time with results like this and would really appreciate your opinion as to whether we should try IVF/ICSI straight away.

Thankyou so much for taking the time to read this.
Gema

·
Registered
856 Posts
Gema said:
Hello Peter

Could you please answer a few questions about my DH's sperm test results?

He has had 4 tests in total and 3 of them have been quite high counts. The last one in June '03 was 45million per ml

This is good

and I don't know the figures for the other bits but we were told they were normal.

That's good!

The most recent test August '03 (at CARE) came back as 15 million/ml density, 50% motile, grade 2-3 progression and 7% normal forms.
We have been advised that there is nothing wrong with either of us and we can carry on trying naturally if we want. However the results don't seem to indicate this - we are very worried at the huge drop in count and the low number of normal forms. What do you think?

The results describe above are perfectly normal and millions of men who have fathered babies naturally have similar results.

Since we've been ttc for nearly 3yrs the consultant recommended treatment following the standard protocol starting with IUI + clomid for 3 attempts before moving on to IVF -

Sounds like a good plan to me

but I'm worried that IUI will be a waste of time with results like this and would really appreciate your opinion as to whether we should try IVF/ICSI straight away.

Certainly not ICSI!! Go for IUI first and see how it goes.

Good luck!

Peter

Thankyou so much for taking the time to read this.
Gema

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Peter, DH and I feel alot happier now!!
Gema

1 - 3 of 3 Posts