Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All  ^wave^,

Myself & DP have a consult soon for his SSR. He has a active vasectomy at the moment which instead of having reversed are are going for SSR with ISCI instead.

I was wondering if those or your DP/DH that has had the procedure can tell me just how many  ^HappySperm^ did they recover?

Did you have them frozen or a fresh transfer?

If so did they thaw all @ the same time or leave some behind incase the 1st ISCI attempt failed?

What was the recovery time?

Did you result in your long awaiting BFP?

Sorry for all the questions, Call me inquizitive!  ::)

Thank You all.
xx

·
Premium Member
4,081 Posts
Just saw ur post and wanted to wish you lots of  ^reiki^

We are in a similar situation as DH had vasectomy and we have decided to go for SSR with ICSI. Although we are waiting to be referred to the clinic at the moment.

Jen x

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
    Nice to hear from someone going for the same procedure(s) There are just sooo many questions aren't there?!

I hope your referral doesn't take too long.. We may be going through treatment around the same time  :)

Best of Luck  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello Girls

I just wanted to give you both some hope.
My DP had a PESA which resulted in 12 viles (I think thats what they call them!). We have been through 1 treatment cycle (ICSI) and we have 9 viles left.

Although the end result of our fist tx was a BFN we have been told that we had a very successful cycle. They retrieved 21 eggs from me, 19 were suitable for fertilisation and 15 fertilised. 11 were frozen at day 2. 4 were left out to grow/ divide, 2 of which were implanted (4 cell) and 2 did not divide as the hospital would have hoped so were unfortunately discarded. We used frozen sperm.

We are hoping to go for our first FET end May/ beginning June. I remain positive as at our follow up consultation with the consultant he said it would only be a matter of time. I have almost convinced myself that one of the reasons the first tx didn't work is that my body hadn't recovered from the trauma of the EC.

There are loads of girls on this website who's partners have gone through similar ops and lots of successful stories. I know it seems bizarre that there can still be live sperm there after a vasectomy so long ago, but I can assure you there can be!

Good luck with your tx.

Jen x

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Jen,

Thank you so much for the reassurance that there will still be sperm.
You do sound as though you had a very good tx cycle. I wish you all the best for your FET and i hope your remaining embies do you proud. x
^fairydust^

G

·
Hi Nicole

on our 1st ivf dh had tesa and i got 6 eggs they only did a fresh retrieval to coincide with my EC we had treatment abroad so i suppose it differs slightly, DH was sore for a few days after but not too bad considering!!

good luck with everything, after 2 failed reversals we will be going through the same again shortly and i am hoping they get enough to freeze so poor dh doesn't have to keep going through this.

Jenny can i just ask about your 3 failed reversals, i'm just interested as we've had 2 attempts and both have ended in disappointment, tell me to keep my nose out if you want!! ;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Nicole,

My DH has had two PESA ops both about 2 months before the IVF started.  Both times we got 4 vials of sperms although on both occasions the motility was not brilliant however they were frozen for our treatments.

On attempt 1 I got 5 eggs and we got 2 to fertilise using all 4 vials of sperm.  On attempt 2 I got 7 eggs and got 5 embies from 2 vials of sperm so much better results and most importantly this ended up with a BFP.  On both occasions they did check thaw straight after the PESA and I think they used the info from this to decide whether to thaw 2 or 4 of the vials.

As for recovery my clinic does the procedures on the Friday morning and by Monday DH was back at work even though it is quite a physical job and although he was a little sore he was fine, even when on attempt 2 they also did a biopsy which is a bit more invasive (although they did not use of the sperm from the biopsy).

I hope that answers some of your questions and good luck with everything.

Tracey XXX

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Nicole
We got 8 vials and they used 1 for our icsi. We got a bfp first time using this frozen sperm. The embryologist spent quite some time finding decent sperm in the sample so i guess there wasn't much - but it was enough!
Good luck for yout tx
Jx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Laura,

No problem at all. The reversals were attempted before we met as DP had vasectomy during another relationship and when that ended I think he realised he'd made a mistake! ^idiot^ On the first occasion it wasn't successful at all and I'm not exactly sure of the reasons why (it can be a touchy subject!). On the later 2 occasions the reversal was initially successful, but as with any op there is the risk of scar tissue developing afterwards, which it did causing the tubes to block again. :( After the third time DP was told that it wasn't possible to do another op and PESA was the best option. Thats why we used frozen sperm for our tx as DP had it stored before we met. I think thats why they used 2 viles on our treatment.

Good luck with everything

xx

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You ladies,

It is alway nice to hear stories from others that have gone through the same things especially when they results in positives.

Thanks You so much xx ^reiki^

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
hi girls

my dh had a vas rev after only 3 years of having the vas - he is only aged 34 at mo. unfortunately it didnt work for us - he has stopped producing sperm  :'(

i think if we had our time again - instead of having the vas rev we would go straight for sperm retrieval as thats what we went onto (which sadly didnt work either?).

good luck with your journeys  ^pray^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^  this is just what happened to us, but there seems to be lots of people on this site who have been successful with BFP's after vas rev etc  :-*

lots of love camly x x x

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hi Ladies

Sorry to sound really dumb, but is icsi like ivf? and do you have to take all the medications? or do you just follow your "normal" cycle.  Also can anyone give me an idea on the cost of it.

Briefly my story, dh had a vasectomy 3 years ago, we were looking at a reversal but time isn't on my side, and obviously it still won't guarantee anything, so next week I am going over to the states and using a friends donor sperm, but if that doesnt work we need to have another go.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts