Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I might be asking stupid questions here but there's so much going through my head at the moment.  ^idiot^

I'm going for my 1st EC on Monday morning.  Although this is my 2nd IVF cycle, my 1st EC was cancelled at the last minute due to OHSS.

First of all, what would I need to take with me on Monday?  I've been told not to take any valuables which is okay.  It's silly things like what do I take in my bag - do I need a sanitary towel, magazine etc.

Also, how uncomfortable should I expect to feel afterwards?  Am I safer wearing 'lounging about in the house' trousers rather than jeans?

Any other advice, no matter how silly or obvious it might seem?

Sorry if I seem to be asking stupid questions but my clinic isn't helping me much with answering my daft questions and I know that you expert FF ladies out there will!  :)

Thanks
Susan
xx

·
Registered
791 Posts
For my Ec I was told to bring a dressing gown and slippers. I didn't take a nightshirt or pjs as I had to wear a hospital gown. I did take a magazine, but there were plenty there to choose from. I didn't take any sanitary towels as hospital gave me one when I came out of theatre. I didn't need to wear it on way home.
I wore my jeans, but was a little uncomfortable. I had 14 eggs collected and was a bit tender for a few days, but nothing a couple of paracetamol won't take away!
I am sure you will be fine huni. It really isn't what you imagine. In fact after the anesthetic I don't remember much at all.
Good Luck. xxx

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi Ya,

I don't remember having much time to read magazines on my EC.  It was in, change into hospital gown with my own dressing gown on top then cannulated (where they stick the canula for the drip into your arm) and then not long after that I was in.  I got myself all worked up (hate needles, hate doctors!!) but actually it was no big deal at all.  I went into theatre crying but don't remember a thing after being wheeled in. 

Afterwards I felt sore around the middle (nine eggs collected) and would recommend the lounging at home type trousers but again it was ok.  Paraceptamol worked nicely for the next few days and DP spoilt me rotten so I made the most of it...then I had plenty of time for magazines!

The clinic gave me a pad but I only had very light spotting that day.  I'd recommend keeping it simple, easy clothes to get in and out of and comfortable around the middle...probably the only time I'd suggest elasticated waist bands, oh and big knickers!

Good luck for the EC, hopefully I'll be due mine next week and know I won't be crying this time (big wuss that I am)!

Best wishes

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hi Susan,

Good luck for Monday Hun, but you'll be fine :).  I agree with the lounging around cloths, as you feel a bit uncomfortable around the waist but nothing bad.  I had a telly in my room so watched a bit of TV, dozed off then i was down for EC (13 eggs collected), all over very quickly, then back to your room, simple lunch and home where you DH can pamper you rotten ;D.  I popped a panty liner in my underwear to come home, thats all.

Good luck again ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^

Love Bali xx

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
hi susan

take your dressing gown, packet mints, tracksuit bottoms to wear, relax cd to put on while they do EC

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
yeah and i wore slip on shoes so i didnt have to bend down once id got changed after

·
Registered
912 Posts
I wore comfy bottoms, I did take a magazine cause I had about an hour of hanging around and I took my slippers and my dressing gown with me.  I was given the option of sedation or patient controlled drugs and I choose sedation so I had no pain at all during EC but when I came to I did have quite bad stomach cramps so they gave me Co-codamol but like you I developed OHSS so I think the cramping was due to the fact my ovaries were so swollen.  Remember no make up, perfume or nail polish on fingers or toes!

I hope it all works out for you this time, I am doing a medicated FET after ET being cancelled the last time due to OHSS so I know how you are feeling

sarah xx  ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for posting this question Susan.  I have my first EC on Tuesday and I am getting in a state about it. The nurse said that DH wouldn't be able to come in with me, even if I am not having a general anaesthetic.  I've never had any kind of operation before and I am getting in a pickle about it already!  Do other hospitals allow DHs to attend?
Good Luck for EC Susan and fingers crossed for lovely healthy eggs! ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
KPxx

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
KP dont worry bout DP not being in with you, it is a surgical procedure thats why they like it to be as sterile as poss + i think it is practise in most clinics that your partners arent there for EC, ET is a different matter, although still a sterile enviroment it isnt classed as a surgical procedure, well not in my clinic, hence why your partner is allowed in at this point, you will be fine, you will be heavily sedated + wouldnt remember you DP being there anyway  ;) all will be ok + goodluck

xxx   

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies  :) :) :) I won't lie and say I'm fine about it all now but it's maybe not as bad as I've been imagining.

KP - Good luck for your EC.  ^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^  My hospital allows DHs to come in to theatre but if what I'm told is true, I won't remember him being there anyway!

Susan
xx

·
Registered
79 Posts
Guys, honest, the fear of it is worse than the event.  I was really scared before mine and started worrying a couple of days before but kept trying to tell myself that it would be ok and it really was ok.  Having had an EC I now realise that it was the fear of the unknown that made me so nervous and upset, oh and did I mention that I hate needles and doctors!  Its over quickly and you don't remember anything, there is no pain you just feel a bit sore and even better its one step closer to your dream.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
susan p - hiya, my dh went into the EC with me, had to wear a gown and cap which was highly amusing  ;D, but i guess it depends on the hospital. All he did was sit there and kiss my hand which was nice bless him but made no difference to anything really as i was off my face on the sedatives  ;D it doesnt last that long hunny, and you have gas and air in a tube in your hand and you just suck on that whenever you need to (i was inhaling just incase i was about to feel pain!!) i had 14 eggs out and i only felt the odd twinge, and i am a wuss.

im sure you will be fine and it wont be long and then thats all done & dusted xxx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts