Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

We are hoping to start the adoption process this year. We were going to have IVF but discovered that I have some large fibroids that will need to be removed before even considering IVF. That coupled with dodgy eggs and my husbands low mobility and sperm count we decided that it was too much to cope with. Especially when there are so many unwanted children in the world who need our love and support.

My question is that before they discovered my fibroids i did take clomid for one month. Will.the LA regard this as treatment and delay our application?

Thanks

Kirsty

G

·
I would guess that they'd want you to wait from the point you decided not to pursue further treatment.

The length of the wait does depend on the LA/VA - its usually 6 to 12 months, but a few have no waiting period and some say 2 years.  If yours is especially long, then I'd ring round other agencies. 

Just one thing, although the wait seems long, it is valuable as you need time to grieve your loss (a birth child) before you move on to the adoption journey.  Our process was different and we had no wait, but I'm not sure it was a good thing - certainly it was too quick for my parents. 

Hope that helps a little
Bop

·
Registered
164 Posts
We had no wait as such. They agreed to take us on but we had to wait 7 months to get on to the next prep course as just missed the previous one. We were allowed to use this as our waiting time, so everywhere is different. Bop is right though, you really will need some time to deal with things and change your focus. xx

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

It's only been 2 months since we finished treatment but to be honest I feel relieved its all over. I really want a family but I am soooo happy that hopefully we can adopt some children that really need our love and support rather than conceiving our own. It just feels really right and I am at peace for the first time in years. I've always felt something was missing and now I feel we have a good chance of changing that!

I really hope we don't have to wait too much longer for our children to come home to us.

Kirsty

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Hi Kirsty,

I can completely relate to what you said about feeling 'at peace' once you had made the decision to adopt.  ^hugme^

As others have said I think it's a 6-12 month wait that they like you to have after treatment, and I'd imagine they would class clomid as treatment as it's about the fact that you were dealing with infertility and trying for a birth child through assisted contraception, plus the coming to terms with it not working, rather than which kind of treatment you had.

The amount of time needed had already passed for us when we started the adoption process so it wasn't an issue, but I would add that we really did need that time, for us, and to take some 'time out' before embarking on what we knew was quite a lengthy and full-on process.

There are lots of things you can do to feel more proactive in the mean time though, such as reading adoption related and child development books, gaining additional experience with children (eg at a local pre-school), all things that will really help once your assessment begins.

Lots of luck,

Anj x

1 - 5 of 5 Posts