Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am really worried about the damage I have caused to my eggs! I'm going through IVF in June and have now given up, does anyone or does anyone know anyone that smoked, gave up, went though IVF and it worked? I need some hope!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi there

I'm taking the job as moderator for a little while and I just wondered how many smokers we have on FF?
I'm finding it so hard to give up the closer I get to IVF because of the emotional pressure I'm feeling. I've read Allen Carr back to front and that dosen't seem to go in anymore. I so wish I'd given up months ago but never mind I can't change that now! Ive just bought a couple more books so I'm hoping they will give me inspiration. Does anyone feel they are more addicted to nicotine than other people? I do or is it just in my head? Anyway, I've decided I'm going to research whats in a cigarette and Ill let you all know later (whether you like it or not!), maybe by really knowing whats in cigarette will allow me to see sense!

Love Hollie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi

i'm also a smoker :-X and as everyone tells you its not good for your health, it reduces your fertility by up to 40% but i just can't give up!! I promised myself that i would stop when i started the IVF but so far no luck. I said i would stop 1st April as i started tx lasth month, 1st April passed then it was d/r day to stop - tats passed to. I think the more you need to stop the harder it is.

Maybe we could quit together??

Good Luck

Jeni xx

·
Premium Member
2,762 Posts
Hi girls
I've been trying and failing to quit smoking since early Jan this year :(
I've cut down from 20 a day to round about 5-10...which is better than nothing, and smoke lights or menthol and find I don't need as many.
Andy smokes too, and has cut down from almost 40 cigs a day to 10 hand rolled cigs :-* to my DH
It IS soooooo hard as you say....the mere fact we WANT & OUGHT to give up....seems to make it all the harder :-\
Am also dieting and exercising and watching my other vice...alcohol....which is going well...ahem...the first 2 anyway....just need to cut back more on wine ;)
I'm studying a BSc and in the biology sections I am well aware of the nasty chemicals, carcinogen properties, tar, nicotine, etc etc....look on a new packet...formaldehyde, cyanide, carbon mon-oxide...and we STILL find it hard as hell to quit.
We'll get there girls....
love n ^cuddleup^
Angel
XX

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi

I used to think that I was the only person in the hwole world who couldnt live without a *** and I tried a few times to give up when I had IVF last year..................however that was on will power alone and only managed 5 days!!
This time I was on the patches for 4 weeks and then one morning I woke up and felt that I didnt need them anymore........now its only been 12 days but I have been nicotine fee for this amount of time and feel really great!!........im not saying its been easy, I think day 4 and 5 was really bad and I just cried and thought that I would never do it,but I held on got through it and now feel really strong, the urge to have a ciggie is fading away!!

Now im not just saying this but if I can do it then anyone can!.

As for my weight, I have just spent 3 months losing weight because I was overweight from when I failed to give up last time, however I saw a new fertility clinic and the chap there was very adament that I am making things very bad by smoking and I SHOULD give up to give me the best chance.........it was at that moment it clicked..........I am so wanting a child of our own that I can kick that awful habit and give myslef the very best chance of getting pg!. I have gained a few pounds but being realistic its better tahn smoking and anyhow, I can lose that in the summer!

Hope I havent offended anyone..........keep trying girls!

Natsxx

·
Registered
85 Posts
i tried the nicorette inhalator because i only smoked 6 a day but it has not worked , the nurse at my stop smoking clinic says the patches will be too "strong" for me because my ciggies are only 0.1 mg of nicottine aaahhhhh really want to give up. going through 3 or 4 packs of chewing gum a day as my dh thinks i have quit but i am still having between 2 or 4 a day, just cant seem to break it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Rubbersoul

I know its so bloody hard, but at least your not having more than four a day. I think as long as you've still got nicotine in your body you will continue to keep wanting a cigarette. What parts of the day do you crave to have a cigarette most?

Love Hollie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Hollie,
I promised myself I was going to give up the dreaded weed when I started my treatment in March. Low and behold I couldn't, no matter how much I told myself 'if you want a baby it will be worth it' I couldn't do it, too much stress!!!
I can tell you Mr.Taylor shouts at me about it, really shouts, telling me I'm killing any chance of having a child. That doesn't help when he's telling you to lose weight at the same time. I say atleast try and cut back, I did and felt some sort of achievment, but fingers crossed I will do it for next try ^scared^

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi everyone

I just want to give you some encouragement.....I think its all great that even though you are still smoking you are al trying, its when you stop trying that is the worst.

I really echo what Hollie said, as long as you are putting nicotine into your body it will just crave it even more.......my favourite saying used to be, just one puff, I wont buy any I promise, but I knew deep down that I was just giving my body what it wanted and before long I was on that nasty old road again.

Has anyonbe tried to read Allen Carrs easy way. I founbd it very good and a worthwhile read, the good thing is that you smoke the the whole time you read it.
If anyone wants my copy of it, I am happy to send it off to a good home otherwise I will just bin it.

19 days have gone by now without a patch or a single puff on a cig, I can say that I dont crave half as much now and only get the odd twinge during the day, I really feel I may have cracked this at long last!!

Anglewitch- I think its a little rough if your consultant has been shouting at you, what you need is encourtgement.......I found that blackmail just didnt help me want to stop,, because you are being pushed into it...if you feel happy cutting down then go for it!

Love Natsxx

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there

I am definitely giving up on monday, it just can't go on, it really can't!!!

Angelwitch - Dr Taylor has also shouted at me so last time I saw him I lied, hes so very right though but you are also right in saying that the more pressure you put yourself under the harder it is. Talking of weight, my friend had a little girl last year through IVF and she was very very overweight so try not to worry too much. What is the scientific reason for loosing weight??

Nat - I have read Allen Carr and I reallY do believe in his theory........LETS NOT FEED THAT NICOTINE MONSTER!!
Keep going Nat, like you say, it does get easier, the cravings get alot milder and easier to fight. I am jealous that you've done 19 days because its the 2 weeks I find are the hardest.

Just wait, when Monday gets here it will have a fight on its hands!!!!

Bye for now

Love Hollie

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Hollie

Oh the memories of the nictoine monster eh!! and the evil weed. I thought it made total sense too!

Just want to say that I am behind you 100% when you stop on Monday, I know you can do it, it really does sound like a cliche but if I can then anyone can....3 weeks tomorrow for me and the longest Ive ever been.

I found it best by not thinking long term, i.e I am never going to smoke again, I worked on each day and said that if I get through today its another step...and the more i done that the more pleasure I felt at the end of that day when I had managed to avoid them!

Anyway....good luck

Natsxx

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Nat

Will keep you posted!

Love Hollie

·
Registered
5 Posts
;D

I gave up on 1st Jan this year after smoking since i was about 17! I'd tried loads of times and failed.

I used nicotine gum for a couple of months. My downfall was always when I went out and had a few drinks......not this time. I changed what I drink and now can get merrily drunk and not crave a ciggy (well not as much as i did!)

I still miss it sometimes, how sad!!!

Good luck 2 all!

SPud

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Spud

Thats bloody great news, do you feel healthy, what changes (apart from the tar clearing from your lungs)?

I think its a good idea to change your drink because I think you associate the drink with a cig. I used to drink lager then I gave up smoking and couldn't drink it any more because I thought it was tasteless, now I drink wine and I'll have to change that again because I started smoking again with wine.

Thanks for the inspiring message!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will like to know too....

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi

Im not stalking you but only just read this message......

I always think about the effect of smoking on my eggs and im sure that that improve once you have stopped smoking!

Another thing that gave me hope.........

2 of my IVF friends used to smoke 15-20 a day and gave up and they are now both proud mums to thier IVF babies.
One gave up the month before and the other stopped about 6 months before......they had good garde embies too....mine havent been at all good and I have always thought that its the smoke, perhaps if we decide to brave another go we may find out!!

Love Natsxx

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Nats

I love stories like that, maybe theres hope after all!! ;D
I was meant to have given up on Monday gone but I have had two relapses since then (and we're not talking one cigarette!) :-[

I will never give up giving up and from the sounds of your stories if I have no more now, ivf could still work on 21st June!!!!!

Bye for now love

Hollie

·
Registered
85 Posts
hi hollie, the times i most smoke are on my breaks at work , dont smoke at all in the house or when i am with my friends or family as they all dont smoke.. i actually keep my **** at my work, ???

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dear All

I really don't want to take away all the hard work you have done but I can't bear to see how you are all torturing yourselves.  When we found out last year we would require ICSI for any chance of breeding both me and DH smoked 20-30 a day and I drank like fish manly due to lifestyle but to make it worse my tipple is vodka not a sneaky little shandy!!! 

We were perfectly honest with the consultant (Paula Cox at Burton) and what she said was that we should cut back as much as possible and her words were "I'm not telling you to give up completely but do the best you can" sometimes the nicely nicely approach works much better than putting the guilt trip on you - as DH caught flu back in January and didn't smoke for three days - he then thought sod it and he has not had one since and he really hasn't been that vile to live with!!!   :-*

I am taking Zyaban and have cut down to five a day, and  now I only drink a couple on special occasions and I did this without really noticing.  Don't torture yourself as being stressed is just as harmful and intoxicating as the dreaded weed, and just think the less you smoke / drink the better you are than you was the week before. 

As it is fertility has taken over our lives and makes us very different from those with children surely we are allowed to keep a little sanity in our desperate little bubble.

Just do your best and feel good about yourself for what you have achieved not what you haven't ;D

xxxx

·
Registered
346 Posts
HI, new to this board and also a dreaded weed addict. I am going to start my first treatment cycle next month. I wondered, can you take Zyban when you're on fertility treatment?

Does anyone know?

Marrianne1

1 - 20 of 63 Posts