Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a family history of small babies (under 5lbs at full term) and my 20 week scan revealed all was well except for a single umbilical artery, which increased the risk of a small baby and amongst other things, stillbirth, so I was closely monitored by my consultant with weekly growth scans and felt very safe in his hands.

At about 24 weeks I started to get scared that my DD would not make it as she was so small so we pencilled in an elective caesarean, but I could change my mind and have a trial of labour, but I would need to be monitored with a CTG throughout.

DD's growth started to tail off and from 32 weeks I had to be monitored daily with a CTG as I never felt her move again.  The CTG was very reassuring.  The advice was more strongly in favour of a C-section and I felt this was the safest option for my DD.

At 36 weeks, I also started showing signs of developing pre-eclampsia and was brought into hospital.  My blood pressure then improved a little and I was told I could either go home or stay until my planned C-section in a few days time.  I decided to stay, but asked if I could nip out for a bit.  I was told that was fine, so I went off shopping on the Fulham Road.  Heaven.  I got back and had had such a fabulous day.  A few girlfriends popped in for tea and then one great friend and I went to a nearby Starbucks.  I returned around 8pm to my room ready to watch a bit of TV.  I was so happy.

My evening CTG didn't go well (for the first time) and my consultant was called from his cosy home to see me.  We decided he should deliver my DD straight away.  I was shaking like a leaf and had no-one with me as my DH was still in Iraq with the Army and none of my friends were still with me.

My aneasthetist and obstetrician were brilliant.  I had a spinal block rather than an epidural and despite being anxious about a catheter, I couldn't feel it at all.  Everything went very smoothly and DD was born just before 11pm weighing a dainty 3lb 15oz, but otherwise perfect. I remember my consultant's words - "She's tiny but perfect!"   It took 6 minutes from first cut to deliver my DD and then 25 minutes to put me back together again.  I was taken to the high dependency unit with DD for monitoring (standard procedure after a c-section at C&W) and was on such a high.  At about 4pm I was taken back to my room and the lovely midwife sent an email to DH to give him the news (couldn't phone him) and I called my family and sent a text to all my friends.  I was still riding high and just watched my beautiful girl.  She was swaddled so cosily and had a mini knitted hat that was provided by the Special Care Baby Unit.  They are knitted by old ladies especially for premature and small babies.  We still have it and it is so tiny.

12 hours after my c-section I was up and about and pain free.  I always accepted my pain killers which were offered every four hours which helped my very fast recovery. I had no bother with my abdomen and didn't look as if I had had surgery.  I was a bit scared when the midwife appeared to remove my top layer of stiches and she was right to say it wouldn't hurt, because it was absolutely fine.

We stayed in hospital for two weeks as DD was so small, by which time DH came home from Iraq for two weeks leave and we all went home together.

DD thrived and was closely followed by a consultant peadiatrician until she was 18 months.  I never looked back and had no bother from my scar.  It was always very neat and entirely in my hair-line.  It was purplish at first but is now flesh coloured and tiny!

I wouldn't ever be anxious about another c-section.  It is interesting to note that I healed the best of all my friends, most of which had natural births.

Marvellous!

·
Registered
371 Posts
What a lvoely birth dtory. Thanks soo much for this as I have 4 days to go and so needed such a wonderful story.

Love and kisses to you and your family
Megan

·
Premium Member
5,346 Posts
Awwwww thats a lovely birth story ! 

Glad it has a happy experience for you.  Like Megan - I need some nice birth stories right now !  Especially with twins on the way ;D

Love and Best Wishes
Jennifer xx xx

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow - four days to go, good luck Megan.  Here's wishing you a happy birth story.

Well done with your twin babies both of you.  I may be wrong, but you may be thinking of a caesarean with your twins, or it may happen that way.  It can still be a fabulous and wonderful experience.  I would do it the same way all over again if  I could (and we are trying!!)

Lots of love and best wishes

Rainy Day

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you for posting such a positive story, it has given me reassurance about my planned c-section for our twins.  Thank you again.
Bluebelle xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.