Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Sweets

i know a lot of people who have lost a lot of weight on the atkins diet and enjoyed following it. Make sure you keep any eye on your health and if you start to feel ill you must stop and start eating a proper balanced diet again. It is also really important to follow the recommendations on the minimum quantity of water to drink in this time because you can become very dehydrated.

My personal opinion is that it is not my favorite diet as it does not work on the basis of a healthy balanced diet with the proper proportions of the food groups.

I have just fished out my copy of Natrual solutions to infertility to take a look at ( I have lent my other book which goes into more detaiol to a friend) and it suggests on p126 - 127

Reduce Saturated fat intake - this can stimulate oestrogen over production. ' A diet free of animal products(except fish) could help'. It suggests that if you have a high intake then taking lactobacillus acidphilus could help

Increase fibre intake to help reduce oestrogen levels

Reduce sugar intake

Reduce or eliminate caffine

Eliminate alcohol - apparently to help the liver.

I think the last three tie in with Atkins but the first two may not tally as well.

Good luck in your weight loss plans.

Clare

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've tried the atkins and to tell the truth i couldnt stick to it, i lasted 3 weeks. Saying that i do know of others that have had more willpower than me and have done very well with it. Last week on the news, it said that due to all the protien that you would be eating on it, that somehow i dont know why, but it might contribute to infertility, so if thats true then im not so keen on it, i have enough problems trying to concieve without that adding more hassle. If you do decide to go ahead with it, i hope you manage to have more willpower than i did, and that you manage to lose the weight that you are wanting to shift.

·
Premium Member
14,698 Posts
hi

i too have pcos and was told by my clinic to give the atkins a go as people with pcos dont break down the complex carbs well at all and tend to store them.
I did it last year and lost 3 stone, i have heard of people who feel unwell on it but i just made sure that i had a balanced diet when i ate and found that i was fine
We all take to things differently but i wish you well
take care
suzie aka olive

·
Registered
52 Posts
avoid atkins diet if your trying to get pregnant loads of research to show high protein diets can effect fertility. The atkin diet does work without a doubt I lost a stone in weight, but also missed a period and developed a small ovarian cyst though I dont know it that was related. Big price to pay!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts