Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone
im started ivf and my doctor told me to start asprin after ec is this the right time to take it please someone give me some advice as i start injections on wed 21st and if this is not right i will then talk to my doctor again thanks

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Hi Lilly,

Every clinic is different, and some will not discuss the use of asprin as its still under trial in many clinics.

I believe that women with multiple miscarriages are recommended babyasprin (75mg). There are also many other reasons that it is taken.

Usually the girls here do take it after EC :)

Your GP understands why he wants you on asprin, and I would suggest that you should do as he says - as he understands your situation.

Good luck ;)

Tony.
x

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dear tony
thanks so much for answering my post i am alot happier know and will take it after ec and hopfully this is the lucky cycle for me its my fourth try and please god it works thanks for your well wishes
love lilly :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Which journal was the research in?

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Hi Steve,

Sorry Ive just noticed this post.

I am not sure where that info in the first post came from - and I am tempted to remove it from the site. Unless of course I can find the source that it came from.

Tony,

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, the article says (if I may indulge):

The study by doctors in Argentina is published in Fertility and Sterility - the journal of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine.

It compared two groups of 149 women. One group took a daily dose of 100mg of aspirin at the same time as IVF drugs to stimulate the ovaries, the other group just took the IVF drugs.

Forty-five per cent of the women who took aspirin became pregnant, compared with 28% of the control group.

On average, almost twice as many eggs were retrieved from the women who took aspirin than those who did not.

The researchers, led by Dr Ester Polak de Fried of the CER Medical Institute in Buenos Aires, said: "Low-dose aspirin treatment significantly improves ovarian response, uterine and ovarian blood flow velocity, implantation rate and pregnancy rate in patients undergoing IVF."

They concluded: "Aspirin seems to be a useful, effective and safe treatment in patients who undergo assisted reproductive technologies."

Divided opinion

But Peter Wardle, honorary secretary of the British Fertility Society, said the study was too small to be conclusive and other larger studies had suggested no big difference in fertility rates.

"Opinion is fairly divided. Small studies suggest there is a difference while larger studies suggest there isn't.

"If there were a consistent pattern, every IVF unit would use it."

He added that some infertile women might benefit from low doses of aspirin.

regards

Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,
this post just caught my eye. I have just done IVF#3, it failled but i was given aspirin 75mg each day after egg collection and then starting from et i was also given Clexane(heparin)injection. Has anybody else been given this??

I am going to RE for follow up tomorrow and am going to ask about this so if i get any useful info i will post again here.
Good luck to all us ladies
Jane

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
I would like to try 75mg aspirin for my next IVF, hopefully mid October. When is the best time to stop take the aspirin, or is it ok to use it throughout the IVF cycle?
Thank you
Deb

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Hi Ladies

Just seen this post. My clinic recommended that I took baby aspirin and folic acid all through my IVF cycle as it apparently stimulates blood flow. I only stopped taking it when I got a +ve result.

Cindy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Deb,
this question has been discussed on the site many times before. The advice normally given is you shouldn't take aspirin without consent of your doctor. All clinics seem to have different views on this. Though it is not clinically proven to be beneficial to any other than a very small number of women diagnosed with a blood clotting disorder. Taking aspirin could be potentially harmful. It certainly increases the bleeding a lot when the cycle failes. Arpirin is a very potent drug and I feel too many women take it a bit too lightly. I hope you are not offended by me writing this. I have been asking myself the same questions and this is just my side of it. Hopefully you will find your own answers.
Good luck for your next try
Andrea

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Everyone

Just to say I did take Baby Aspirin 75mg through my cycle of ICSI but only because my clinic advised me to. I wouldn't take it if I have not been advised to. I started taking it from the start of treatment because apparently it helps blood flow. When I got pregnant I carried on with it for 2 weeks but then the clinic said to me to stop but they said that was because I was bleeding. I am now 23wks 6d pg
Love
Shell.
xx

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi my names zippy!! and i do my test tomorrow after my 2ww i am 27 years old and have just undergone ivf treatment with a 27 year old donor who has 3 children. i have done a test today which was negative and i feel like my world has caved in. The dr's at barts have said that i need to do my proper one early tomorrow morning as there still is chance....does anyone have any similar stories please!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi

I can't help you with your question but maybe you could answer mine, what does ec stand for and why has your docter told you to start taking aspirin, what does it do?

Hollie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Hollie,

I'm guessing that EC stands for egg collection. Could someone in the know add it to the webby acronyms (on the Infertility Jargon page) please?

Thanks
Luise
p.s. I'm about to start IVF after 2 failed IUIs. First Buserelin jab tonight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:-\
My clinic has not even mentioned taking asprin. This is my first cycle, should I take it anyway?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm just injecting at the moment, on my fourth attempt at IVF and I was told to start taking aspirin when I started my injections. I've had two positives on IVF but miscarriaged each time so hopefully aspirin will help me this time.

Nancy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Janem33 said:
Hi all,
this post just caught my eye. I have just done IVF#3, it failled but i was given aspirin 75mg each day after egg collection and then starting from et i was also given Clexane(heparin)injection. Has anybody else been given this??

I am going to RE for follow up tomorrow and am going to ask about this so if i get any useful info i will post again here.
Good luck to all us ladies
Jane
Hi iam new to the board and i have had 3 failed cycles of ivf,i have been told to take asprin and after embryo transfer to take clexane injections. I sometimes get confused with all this jargan but i am willing to try everything.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts