Hi

thanks for this info

I find this very interesting

especially after my recent medical appointment

mmm

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have pcos. im not undergoing any treatment, my gp said i would be better off not knowing that i have pcos. im actively ttc n its gettin me down but gp wont help! im changin gps this week. any advice on what treatments i should b on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your GP probably said that becuase of the psychological effects of thinking you can't get pregnant or that it's more difficult for you. Also, if most women had a scan or had their hormone levels (leutinising hormone) tested there would be an abnormality. In other words plenty of ladies have the diagnostic criteria without even knowing!
As for drugs clomiphene is a type of fertility drug that is sometimes used. I'm not qualified to advise but you could discuss it with your new GP?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think you should also ask your GP about commencing you on Metformin, whether you are ttc or not. It can help prevent alot of the other conditions associated with PCOS and also can help with ovulation while you are ttc. My dr is quite good and the basic treatment now throughout the UK has been recognised for PCOS is Metformin, it has been used in the US for much longer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi my name is michele my docter has diagnosed me with this and im only 22 and have one boy i get a period every two months.and i have put on some weight it does upset me though knowing i have this because me and my partner have been trying for another baby and nothing is happening were rather lost as to what we can do i have had alot of stress in my life i dont expect that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Michelle hope u have succesful treatment regarding pcos. :mad: I read an article saying a special diet helps. I too have been suffering this condition and only recently been diagnosed due to my first ivf attempt which however had to be abandoned , There is a problem getting diagnosed by your gp as even since 1990 aged 20 I had all the symptoms of pcos and the doctor said that I quote :its's your make-up Karen and theres nothing I can do: yeah right.
karen

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Karen
I am so sorry to hear that it has taken you so long to be diagnosed, it must be really frustrating for you to get onto your IVF cycle only for it to be abandonned, I've had the same with IUI, so I can sort of understand how you feel.
I was diagnosed thanks to a laparoscopy being done, I think if I hadn't had that I might still be suffering. This section of the site is really helpful to me, hope to get to know you better in the near future.
Chick

·
Registered
683 Posts
Aww the long term risks that pcos sufferers could have are quite worrying, I've never heard of that before. Thanks for sharing the info.
Kia.xxx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi my name is Verity, My partner and I have been trying to conceive for almost two years. I knew something was wrong when I was in my early teens,as have suffered from heavy periods up to four months apart or ligh periods lasting up to three months. Am 24 now.  I was diagnosed with pcos earlier this year however have been told I cannot have any treatment until I lose weight. Good advice im sure but HOW, no one has told me that, I have tried loads of diets to no avail and am feeling very low. When I was diagnosed I lost the desire to live and became very depressed something I cant seem to shake off. No one around understands how I feel and i'm not sure I can carry on like this. I need help but dont know how to get it or even what to ask for. :'(

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Verity

Why dont you come and join us on the belly buddies board?  We're trying to loose weight and support and encourage each other.  How much weight do you have to loose?  Have you discussed whether metformin is appropriate for you? 

It takes time to come to terms with new diagnosis.  Infertility can be a long journey, whatever the outcome.  Hope you will get lots of support on here, you'll probably be amazed at how many stories you will see of people feeling just like this from time to time. 

Hope to chat soon

Lolly XX

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do i find the belly buddies? ::)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Post a message to support or in site update asking for access to the board.  Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Verity,
I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I went through the whole weight thing for years with PCOS. Although I had various symptoms and PCOS was suggested, no doctor was willing to help me until I lost weight. The old " your too fat for the meds to work!" was thrown in my face countless times. My husband and I have tried for 8 years to get pg. And it was odd but, naturally, after 8 years it happened and I was 17 and a half stone when it happened! Which says to me it wasn't ever a weight issue. I am now almost 26 weeks pg with my baby boy and am just happy it has happened. I know people say it will happen when the time is right,but I really feel part of my getting pg was my emotional state. For years I went through hoping "this time" was it. Taking pg tests only to see the "not pg" and getting upset all over again. But once I had it all settled in my mind.." I guess it just isn't going to happen!" and getting on with my life, bang I got pg. Actually I got pg two months in a row. I lost the first one the day i discovered I was pg and i was determined to get pg the next month. So there is hope for all, it is not always weight, and it can happen even without drugs sometimes. ;D I hope this will give you some encouragement.

Jenn

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi Guys,

I would just like to say, before everyone goes into a panic attack!  Just because you have PACO"S  doesn't mean that you have the syndrome, there is a difference.

I was even told last month by my new gynae in Oz, that most women experience PACO, sometime in their life!  Which through me out, but I must remember this is not the syndrome.

You may have PACO and you ovaries aren't cystic.  When I was first diagnosed the could see lots of cysts, now if I have a scan I don't have any!!!  I am also regular every month 28 - 32 day cycle, but I have PACO....  but I don't believe that I am at the risk more than anyone else without PACO!

So if you have been diagnosed with PACO, ask you doc if you have PACO or PCOS?  The symptoms usually are:- insulin probs, obesity, absent period,thinning hair, hair on chin.  Even though the say excessive hair this does not mean on legs or arms!  I'm sure most of you know this, but if you are newly diagnosed, it may help.

Thanks,

Anne

·
Registered
6 Posts
i've been dx with pcos but offered no treatment. am overweight and have hairy chin, but am on thyroxine. have just started clomid. is there a cure or treatment?
r the assisted conception unit supposed 2 treat me or my gp? help advice needed. ^eyes^ ^eyes^ ^eyes^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Claire-  when i was first dx with PCOS i was offered no treatment expect the pill to regulate my cycle's. That was until i wanted to concieve and then i was also put on to clomid.
I am also over weight and have hair where i shouldn't it can be part of PCOS, I am not qualifed to give out advice but i would recommend the PCOS -Diet book it goes in to detail about this condition and give you sugestion on what you can do to help it.
I hope this helps, feel free to join the other message boards.
Summer bean

·
Registered
48 Posts
jenn hi,
i am so fu***d (sorry bout the language) with doctors telling women that its their weight, ive been told im too fat for treatment for too long now. i first went to my doctors 7 years ago saying somthing was wrong but because i was young (14) they didnt care now ive put on over 8 stone lost 2 and got 6 to go, all because bloody doctors cant be botherd to help ^bigbad^ im happy that you finally got your bundle, and i will give them hell before i give up! ^evil^ good luck with the birth. xxx sarah.

·
Registered
407 Posts
:-[ Hi to everyone, this is my first time on here posting a notice!! I have had pcos, and endometrosis since the age of 14 years. I struggle to loose weight, always got spots, i don't ovulate at all without provera! And 90% of the time i am totally bald all due to the pcos........But to my suprise i found the love of my life 4years ago and we have just started our third attempt at ivf. this time we are doing our first fet and i'm so scared!! At this moment in time i don't feel that i can cope.  Good luck to each and everyone of you out there trying!! xx xx Love and best hope Donna xx

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
owen-jay said:
hi my name is michele my docter has diagnosed me with this and im only 22 and have one boy i get a period every two months.and i have put on some weight it does upset me though knowing i have this because me and my partner have been trying for another baby and nothing is happening were rather lost as to what we can do i have had alot of stress in my life i dont expect that helps
hi im michelle too i was diagnosed with this about the same age as you were. i had two or 3 laparoscopies and then went on to have an operation to clear my blocked tubes and remove adhesions which worked briefly but unfortunatly we were unable to concieve in that time and i was told that they would not perform the operation again so afterwards our only hope was ivf we wenton the list and only recently reached the top and am hoping to start the treatment in the next couple of days but the only worry is that the cysts can cause complications during the treatment but we will have to wait and see best of luck to you anyway hope it all goes well x

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I'm Louise

I knew something was wrong with my period when I was in my teens and when I was 17 my GP turned round and told me that my hormones are screwed up and I will never have children.

It wasn't until 6 years ago I was officially diagnosed with PCOS, but as I was single I did not worry about it too much.  I am now 30, married and trying to conceive for over a year and the same as the rest of you ladies I have been told to lose weight.  Each time I see my doctor she keeps on moving the goal posts and at my last appointment last month I had lost approx half a stone and told I have to lose another 2 before they can help me any further (got myself weighed on friday and lost another 4lbs).  I am on Metformin twice a day at 75mg, but the doctor is refusing to give me any other medication because of my weight.  We are so desperate to start the medication as neither of us have been lucky to have a child,  but all the hospital seem to do is keep moving the goal posts especially when it comes to weight and has even threatened to stop seeing me if I don't lose enough weight inbetween appointments.

:'(

1 - 20 of 42 Posts