Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Lynn

I'm Jen and I'm 33yrs, ttc 3 and 1/2 yrs.

I have pco and know very little about the condition. I seem to find alot written on pcos, I know the this is a more severe condition but am not sure when the condition is pco and pcos, if you know what I mean.

If you are about I would like it alot if I could talk about this subject and what it means for my future.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Take care Jen :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for that Deanne ;D

I've added it to my favourites and will have a good old look later.

Thanks again, Jen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there Lynn

Thanks for starting this topic as I was the same as yourself. I was diagnosed with PCOS Feb 2001 and to be honest my doctor was fab. I am 38 now and after fun and games with the NHS I decided to go private for fertility treatment. Reponses to my condition were very very different by both these parties but that is a long story which I may chat about some other time if it will help someone else.

I found accepting the situation quite a painful process especailly the fact that I want to have children. Very little info was about luckly I found a book that answered most of my problem, but it would have been great to talk to someone. This is why I think this is so good.

I still do not know anyone else who has this condition even though it is meant to be rife!!!

The issue for me at the moment apart from the mood swings on clomid is my weight gain. Anyone got any tips.

Lynn if you have any questions or need support get on the keyboard and maybe swaping experiences may help.

Wishing you both well

Connie2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Connie

It would be great to talk about pco/s. I know very little really and like you don't know anyone else with the same condition.

I'm 33yrs and have been ttc for nearly four yrs and was told I have pco two yrs ago. I've had diathermy to both ovaries, four months on clomid and two failed IUI's. We did get pg while waiting for af to start third IUI but sadly m/c'd in March.

Take care and good luck with the Clomid ;D

Love Jen :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hiya all,
My name is Sue, I am a mum of a beautiful 3 year old son ;D. I have recently been diagnosed with pcos :'(.
I was just wondering if it is usual for ladies with this condition to be prescribed with anti-diabetic drugs to help lose weight ??? I am now waiting for a laparoscopy in a couple of months.
I am also wondering if anyone here has had H.E.L.L.P. Syndrome through pregnancy, and if there is any link with pcos :-\

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Girls,

Just wanted to say I`ve found a great book about pcos called "PCOS The hidden epidemic" it goes into loads of detail about everything to do with pcos and infertility, and the treatment options available. It is by Samuel S Thatcher and I got it from Amazon if you are interested.

Sonic, is it metformin that you have been prescribed? I have asked my consultant about this drug in relation to preventing miscarriage but she didn`t show much interest. I`m going to push her on it again now I know a little more about it . How are you finding it, is it making a difference? I don`t have many of the outward symptoms of pcos but I have hormonal disturbances and pco, and I now know that these can cause poor egg/embryo quality. Sorry if it is obvious but what is HELLP syndrome? I haven`t heard of this before (I don`t think). When do you go for your lap?

Sammy x

·
Registered
3 Posts
;D Hi Sammy ;D,
The drug I have been put on is Metformin. It made me feel quite ill at first, but then I found out that I felt ill due to low sugar levels. It was a big help to lose weight ;D, but unfortunately I have finished the supply they gave me :-\.
It did help as for the first time in ages I have had a proper period YIPPEEEE.
HELLP syndrome is very rare, so you can be forgiven for not knowing it. It is similar to pre-eclampsia, but it gets a lot worse.

got my laparoscopy soon, so I hope that will be informative.

Byeeee SONIC

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Sue/Sonic!! (great name ;D)

How come you have stopped the metformin? I thought the benefits were cumulative the longer you are on it?Listen to me now - quite the expert??? That`s what it says in my book anyway. Can they not keep you on it long term or are there reasons not to? It`s great that you got your period on it. Do you know if it lowers LH levels to a normal amount?
Oh it mentions HELLP syndrome as well, it says that pre eclampsia is more common in pcos pregs and that women who develop HELLP (the more serious and rarer condition) are usually found to be polycystic. You must have had an awful time of it but I bet it was all worth it when you saw your beautiful son?

Good luck with the lap and keep us posted

Sammy x

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would like to know if anyone has been prascribed Metformin? and if it has had any affects good or bad. All the information I have read from America seems to indacate that it works for most of the symptoms and if taken when pg can help reduce the risk of m/c.If anyone can help please get intouch. ::)

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi Esther

I was on metformin, i cant say it did a lot for me but it did for another girl i know. But when i had my tx i was told to stop taking it before ET. So i am not sure about helping in pregnancy. I would ask your Doctor his opinion. Sorry cant be any more help.

Love Kim ^smlove^

·
Registered
169 Posts
Esther,

I am on metformin and hav been since start of af in October. Ist week 1 tablet a day, 2nd week 2 tablets a day and third week and from then on 3 tablets a day. Made me ill to begin with but fine most of the time now. On it because I overreacted to treatment.

5th cycle (but first of stimulated variety) cancelled in july
loads too many follicles had ohss.

had to have month off to let ovaries recover.
6th cycle cancelled in September - although only 4 follicles blood levels of oestradals way too high.

Started metformin and then a month later started 7th cycle. only 25 units puregon but produced 2 nice follicles and have just had insemination. Blood levels are half what they were last time and so i think for me it has worked.

Have to stay on it until end of first 3 months - if we get that far. Wont know if positive until 8 Dec (of before if af comes)

Hope this helps love julie anne

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Well that is a bit more helpful than mine Esther. I wonder why they told me to come of it before ET?
Love Kim ^smlove^

·
Registered
169 Posts
Esther

I forgot to say that metformin is supposed to half the chances of you having a m/c. The person in charge of our clinic was very keen for me to go on it and said that if i couldn't cope with the side affects they would reduce the dosage - but they seem fine now.

I just thought that it was worth trying and i didn't have anything to lose.

let me know how you get on. If you try it we could trade side affects as i would be interested to see how it affects other people :)
love julie anne

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

PCOS has been in my life for quite a few years now.

I'm 22, and have spoken to doctors about it before, and to be honest, i'm not really as clued up about it all as I would like to be.

I'm not trying to have a baby yet, but i sometimes worry that in the future, when i'm ready to, i won't be able to conceive.

My story goes, at 15 I was quite skinny, for many reasons. My periods stopped, i went to my GP with a worried mother in tow, and I was diagnosed with PCOS and put on the pill to start a regular menstrual cycle. It worked and for four years I used it.

Two years ago i decided to see whether my periods would work alone and had my first real period for years. It was great, and none of my friends could understand my glee. I'm grateful for every one now.

I'm weightier now, and having periods, though they have been slightly irregular in some of the past few months. My GP says I should still check up on my ovaries. I haven't had a scan for a few years, but I did have a blood test that came back -ve early in the year. My GP says this is not definitive and I should have an ultrasound anyway.

I'm confused. Does one always have PCOS if they have it at one point, or can it 'go away'? Did I bring it on by my low weight? I have regular periods, does that mean my fertility is still in question? The doctors brush me off, or admit to not knowing much and I only ever see the nurses at the hospital. You are all probbaly more expertise at the topic than anyone I've come across yet.

Moreover, i'm seriously thinking of donating eggs. I'm not sure what questionable PCOS means for this though.

Can you help?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi Diane,

Just wanted to say hello - im afraid I cannot help but im sure someone will be able to help. If not write a board to Peter.

Love

Julie anne

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Hi Diane,

Welcome to fertility friends, Sorry to hear about your problem ^mercy^.

im sorry too, i dont know a lot about polycystic ovaries, ive never been told i have them (well was told sort of that i have them) and now it seems its endometriosis, but i dont really know whats going on with my body, it seems that it wants to do what it wants.

Anyway as Julie Ann said you could try asking Peter, he is the embryologist on this site and he is very clued up on things. If you do ask him, all i ask is that you are patient has he has a very hard workload and dedicates some of his spare time to come on here.

Hope he can help or perhaps one of the girls on here can, they are pretty clued up too (in fact i know they are), and may be able to shed some light on your question. ^thumbsup^

Good luck

Mel

x x x x

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hello everyone,

I would also like to know a bit more about PCOS.

Does anyone know is there a specific blood test to diagnose the syndrome?

I have the typical cyst formation on my ovaries, plus a totally irregular cycle (e.g. up to 6 months with no af), plus a few other symptoms, not too severe, such as increased amounts of body hair (yuk!!). I am also steadily increasing in weight and find it more difficult to lose.

I have never been offered any specific treatment for these problems apart from going on the pill when younger, to regulate bleeds.

Does anyone know exactly what metformin does, I know it is a diabetic medication because my Dad used to take it as a diabetic, although now he's insulin dependent.

Can it increase your chances of conception and regulate your cycle?

Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you

Vicky

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Girls

Sorry for butting in, but I was diagnosed with PCOS in February 2001. ???

I am afraid I can't help with the metformin question, because I was diagnosed because a wasn't getting pregnant :( :( (I do know that once you have PCOS it is very hard to get rid of ) I had a blood test that confirmed the doctors suspisions followed by an internal ultrasound :-[

I would strongly recommed that you try and get hold of a book called PCOS: How to cope with Polycyctic Ovary Syndrome - by Colette Harris and Adam Cary. This book was reccommeded to me by my consultant and I found that it answered alot of questions that I didn't always think of when I was at my appointment!

I hope that this has been of some use

Nat

1 - 20 of 103 Posts