Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mums,

Was just wondering if anyone uses real nappies? I'd like to give it a go but would quite like to hear from someone who has experience of them. How easy are they to use, do they leak.....etc!

Take care everyone, Lizzy xxx :D

·
Premium Member
6,624 Posts
Hi Lizzy,

This is an area I am currently and have been for a while looking into.

I am wanting to use reusable nappies, but because of the initial cost outlay, want to be as up on what is the best option as possible to start with.

So it's good you have posted this thread.

That said, a very useful site which sells and contains a fair bit of info on all different types of reusables is as follows;

www.twinkleontheweb.co.uk

I think to start with I will use disposables, just because new borns are so small and real nappies can seem really bulky and hard to fit and then move onto real nappies once bubbs is a little bigger - using disposables for convenience, i.e. when going shopping etc...

Happy reading/researching!

Sue xxx

·
Premium Member
12,894 Posts
Hi

Obviously it is up to the individual. I have terry nappies but not for his bum. I have used disposables since birth. And to be quite honest and hopefully not too graphic but the state some of his nappies get into i am glad i have used disposables. I always fancied the thought of terry nappies but having used disposables will stick to them.
This is just my personal opinion we are all different and prefer different things.

Love Kim x x x

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I had intended to switch into using resusables...but have since decided not to.

I have to confess that as it is hardly any of the housework has got done since Kirstie was born (she has hardly slept during the day since she was born)!!and the house already seems to be full of washing being aired so adding to it with reusable nappies has never really seemed practical ;). I suppose I could get a tumble dryer and have that on the go all the time but would they then end up being much cheaper or kinder to the environment??!!!

Having said all that, I think on the whole they are a great idea for those people who are better organised (and perhaps less lazy) than I am!!!! But I haven't known any one who has used them so cant comment on leaks etc.

Love Allie :-*

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Lizzy,

Les has had the same thoughts as you and found a pretty good independant web site :

http://www.cuddlebabes.co.uk/

Like Sue, I think we will use disposables when very small - and perhaps continue at night/when out too. We do intend to send for samples of the different types though to try and buy the bulk when we've figured out which would be the best. The advise is still to use disposable one way liners which should contain most of the mess.

There are also 'service nappies' - real ones which are collected and washed and returned by independant companies but we've not looked into them very closely - has any one else?

Love Fiona xxx

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Fiona,

The service nappies sound like the best of both worlds. Would be interested in costs etc. if anyone has the info.

Allie

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sue and Fiona - thanks for the websites, i'll def check them out later. I'll probably start off in disposables too and use them for holidays, days out... etc.

Allie - i'm not organised at all, but i absolutely love doing the washing!! Hate all other housework :eek: I think even with washing and drying they still work out a little bit better especially if you use a service.

If i find any good info, i'll let you know,

Lizzy xxx
;D

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Well, I have to agree with the other mum's here. I am a huge disposables fan. There's enough work involved with a newborn without adding to it. There are plenty of other ways to be 'green', and for me this just isn't one.

Disposables will also definitely keep baby's bottom much drier than reusables and I'm sure leak a lot less often.

Up to the individual I guess, but not for me :D

J xxxxx

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi,

I found this info on Real Nappies:

"The National Association of Nappy Services, NANS (www.changeanappy.co.uk and a phone no. of 0121 693 4949) is the best place to start when looking for a laundry service.

However, bear in mind that not all services are members of NANS - if NANS don’t have one listed in your area, the next place I would try is your local branch of the National Childbirth Trust (NCT). I’d expect a laundry service to advertise in the local branch newsletter. "

Looks like there is only one 'choice' in my area.

Here is another interesting snippet

"Some councils may subsidise an initial period of the service, as part of their commitment to reduce local waste levels. At least one local council provides a council tax rebate to users of the local nappy laundry service"

Love Fiona xxx

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good website Fiona. i was looking at CottonBottoms - they have a website at www.cottonbottoms.co.uk but they are also available at the online boots store. I don't think their laundry service covers my area but i'll probably wash my own.

I believe our local council offers a subsidy - which will be nice!! Not often you get anything off our council ;D

Lizzy xxx

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Lizzy,

I think CottonBottoms is the way we're going too - they sell them in the shop where we got our pushchair/car seat and cot last Saturday.

Les had a good play, and really liked the look of them (but we didn't actually get any because our bill had already amounted to 1k - but don't tell anyone else :-[ ). We'll be going for one of the starter packs I think.

Les is also thinking we'll get one of these nappy tower things which seal disposibles in wrappers and use these for the liners - we can't flush liners because our toilet in the basement works on a saniflow system.

How many weeks ahead of me are you? I'm 20w2d today, so maybe you'll have started using them before I buy them and can give your honest opinion.

Must put ringing the council on my to-do list, hopefully we might get a discount too then ;D

Take Care and speak soon

love Fiona xxx

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Fiona,

I'll think we'll get a starter pack too and see how we go - have got some disposibles to start off with though :D

I'm 29w5d so hopefully i can give you some good reviews,

Well done on reaching half way and good luck with the council, you'll need a discount after your bill the other day :eek:

Take care, Lizzy xx

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hi
I bought Terry nappies to use, but also got disposables too. I was only going to use disposables for a while, as terry nappies on newborns are soo huge. Especially as Ben was only 4lb 11oz born. However, i find using the disposables so much more convenient now...& i tried a terry nappy on Ben the other day ....still makes his bum look huge & he is 10lb 11oz now!

Karen

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow Karen,

Good for you joining us environmentally friendly lot - well not yet, but will have a good go once bubs arrive won't we Lizzy ;)

Are they the pre-shaped ones or have you learnt how to fold them?

Did you know you can get real nappies in all shapes and sizes - ones which look just like disposables when on and you have a disposable liner, a liner to wash and a wrap to use over and over again (well until spoiled, of course).

We're thinking of using a combination of disposables and real ones anyway.

Congrats on getting Ben to such a healthy weight - extra hugs from me

love Fiona xxx

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi all

I am going to give reusables a go and see how we get on! Not sure about with or without laundry service! May have to see how it goes. I seem to remember my sisters washing machine was on every 5 mins with her newborn, without the nappies as well!

We have a local company called Nappy Days which sells lots of different brands and styles.

The choice is mind boggling so I am going to go & see the lady that runs it and have a look at all the different types & take her advice.

They suggest buying several different styles etc as different types are better for different "occasions".

Like you can get all-in-ones (inner and waterproof outer in one) which are a bit less absorbant but much more convenient for when out & about.

I will probably also use the eco disposables as well.

My choice is less to do with saving money (although I am told it does) as the environmental choice. We try to recycle everything we can and I hate the thought of nappy mountains there polluting our kids futures!

Our local council (Norfolk) also offers £30 rebate which you put towards your initial purchase!

Hope I'm not going to be eating my words in a year's time!!

Vicky xx

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi girls its a nice thought useing terrys my sister used them with her first two and although they saved her loads i had the boys over night and had to get a neighbour to change him for me as the smell made me heave if i ever manage to gey pg again it will be disposables all the way

babyblue

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi all,

Well, I've got two updates to put on this thread that I keep forgetting about ^stupid^

The first is that I contacted my local council and they have a special 'waste limiting' team and one member is responsible for promoting real nappies. Apparently they have sample packs in all the health clinics (not that anyone there told me about them!) and they have meetings every so often near by - wish I'd written this when I first talked to her as I've lost all the details now, but I can contact her again when I'm on maternity leave. She said that they are looking at some sort of allowance/rebate and support for an action group may help that go through council.

The second is a NEWSFLASH I found on the following website:

http://www.phpbaby.com/

under Kushies Info > Environmentally friendly Nappies.

It suggests that plastic lined disposables increase the temp of boy babies bit, a possible contribution to male infertility. Interesting reading......

Love Fiona xxx

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey all ~ back again,

Does anyone use Kooshies? They look really nice and i'd like to move into reusable soon (when they fit!)

Fiona ~ i'm just off to look at the phpbaby site as they supply kooshies. I think i prefer the all in one things rather than using the prefolds and a cover. (i'm a lazy moo)

Lizzy xx

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Just wondering if anyone had used re-useables regularly? I've never tried them, and am pretty sure they're not for me, but wondered how people had gotten on with them and which brands seemed best, etc. Just curious really ;D

Jayne x

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi!

I am a huge fan of washable nappies, to the extent that I set up a nappy laundry service in the early 90's when my son was a baby. I would absolutely use them again. I won't argue with the fact that they need changing more often. Having said that, one shouldn't leave a baby in a disposable for hours on end just cos it hasn't leaked, as no one knows what the long term effects are on a baby's skin, after spending so long in contact with the absorbent chemical gel in disposables.

The ones that look closest to the kind I used in my business are available at www.bambinomio.com They have a shaped nappy which is good for newborns and ones that you have to fold twice to put in the outer wrap. I did try those Kushies all in one nappies, but found that tumble drying them ended up damaging the plastic layers in them, and they took forever to dry naturally.

Sad to say, I am really looking forward to getting far enough along to go and buy them!!! ;D

Jo x

1 - 20 of 21 Posts