Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone else got this???

I was on HRT for 12 years after chemo as periods stopped and was supposed to have had a menopause. However my little darling has come along now!!! :)

Anyhow after I stopped breast feeding in Dec 2007, I started getting periods! I have not had a 'natural' one for 15 years! Trouble is for the last two/three months I have had awful pre-MT and I feel it is getting worse now periods are quite bad. I cant sleep for a few nights and then just before it starts im really tearful to the point of not being able to function. I just burst into tears at the slightest thing and feel incredibly depressed and low. I feel absolutely fine the rest of the month and once period arrives tearfulness stops. ^idiot^ Hormones are all within normal ranges now according to bloods.

So is this just me or has anyone else found this? I cant go onto a pill as got medical history that complicates things. Doc says antidepressants can help, but im just wondering if anyone else has found an alternative therapy helpful as im keen to avoid meds really.

·
Premium Member
14,889 Posts
Oh Fran you poor thing.  that sounds horrendous.

I didn't have it as bad as that, but after I stopped feeding Matthew and my periods returned, I found that the side benefit of pregnancy was that they were now painless, but I was very much more emotional than I used to be around that time.  I used to be quite weepy and that came back, but in addition I would get so angry and upset, I'd see red and just want to scream and shout.  I was horrified at how out of control I felt, I'd not expereinced that with periods before.

I'm waiting to see what they're like when they come back this time.  ::)

St Johns wort is said to be a good natural antidepressant, you have to be very careful how you take it though, it's pretty strong and can interact with other medicines, so I would seek advice from a qualified herbalist.  In the past though I have just drunk the tea which is less strong (and tastes foul unfortunately!) and I have found it can lift my mood quite considerably.

Claire x

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi Fran

I had the most awful PMT for months afterwards. I was so tearful, almost violent, very emotional and it was dreadful. I went to see a registered homeopath, who helped me. The awful PMT has now gone and even though I do still get tears before a period, it's nothing as bad as it was for the few months after my periods resumed. I'm not sure where you live, but you could find a registered homeopath near you using the Alliance of Registered Homeopaths http://www.a-r-h.org/FindMembers/find.php

Best wishes
Katherine

/links

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the support! I am taking the antidepressants at the minute just to see what happens really but I will look into alternatives. Going to do some research myself as cant afford to visit anyone unfortunately.

I went the gym today and am hoping getting back to normal weight and feeling a bit fitter may also help. It may not but this has given me the push to do it finally! No doubt I shall be in agony tomorrow ;)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hi Fran, my periods started again a month or so after having T, despite the fact I was b/feeding  :(. However, as I have stopped b/f, I have been getting dreadful PMT - as others have said, not only tearful and tired, but also really angry and all over the place emotionally. Strangely, though, much less painful than before. I'm sorry I don't have any advice to offer, just wanted to send you a bit more support  ^hugme^
Take care,
Karen xx

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Karen, relieved to know it is not just me! Im hoping that my body will sort itself out eventually. Lots of ^hugme^ to any one else feeling dodgy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts