Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently had FET at Oxford Fertility Unit, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy.  :(

A few months ago I posted on here asking about whether I should move from Oxford to the ARGC. I had some really helpful responses. So we decided that if our FET failed we would move. We have our initial consultation at the ARGC on 20th May.

My questions are:

- Do you think I will be able to start my monitoring cycle when my next AF comes (approx 6th June)? At Oxford I had to wait for 3 periods before I could start.

- Do they often let you go straight from the monitoring cycle into the downregging? So if my AF came on 6th June, I would start downregging on day 21 (27th June)?

- Finally, do you have any advice/things I need to ask/take with me to the initial consultation?

I am a teacher, so I need the main part of the treatment (stimming, ec, et) to be in my Summer Holiday (10th July - 31st Aug).

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

Jan

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hi Janet

Sorry to hear about your chemical  ^hugme^

In the usual course of things, the answers would be yes and yes.  As to questions, it would be worth asking about their plans for your cycle based on your history.

I hope that the consult goes well.

HTH

Lx

·
Registered
35 Posts
hi Janet, sorry to hear about your chemical pregnancy. I am currently stimming at ARGC and after my 1st appointment in late feb, I went straight into monitoring cycle and from that straight into down regging on 4th April. Get copies of all your notes and tests as it may save you time and money if you dont have to repeat some of them. I am also a p/t teacher but in an FE college and was hoping to coincide my stimming with easter holidays but DR took longer as AF decided to come late but luckily work have been very understanding so far. If you can time it for when schools break up it will be much less stressful for you as it gets quite intense with the daily blood tests which are really tiring. Good luck with everything and hope it works out for you this time xx ^reiki^ ^reiki^

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

One other thing (for now!) - I realise that you have daily blood tests once stimming? How about before that though? How often would I need to go to London through the monitoring cycle and the down-regging part? I would like to start these, if possible, before I break up for my Summer holiday and then do the stimming etc. once I have broken up. But, if I need lots of time off for appointments before stimming, then my school might not be too pleased.

Thanks.

Best wishes.

Jan

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hi Janet

You'll go in for day 2 tests unless your GP can do these and you can get the results and fax them to ARGC (you should ask if that's OK as it will save you 1 trip to London).  Then you will go for a mid cycle scan and a progesterone test 5 days after you get an LH surge (you'll need some pee sticks for that).  If all is OK, you'll start d/r on day 21 of that cycle.  Once you get AF you'll go for a scan on about day 5 to see if everything is quiet and then once you start stimming you will be in for daily bloods and double daily bloods from about day 8 of stimms.

HTH

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Alisha looks gorgeous!

I am a bit worried about waiting for an LH surge, as my cycles are quite long (40 days) and I'm not sure not I always do get LH surges.

Thanks for all your advice - it really helps!  :)

Jan

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Hi Janet

That's a good question to ask at the consult and the clinic will be able to give you a steer on what to do.  I was pretty straightforward, regular cycles and all that so can't really answer.

Good luck with the consult

Lx

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi Jan,  as a full time infant teacher who's cycled a couple of times at the ARGC can I advise you to have a contingency plan incase your timings don't work out.  Both times I have been unable to start when I hoped because of cysts, hormone levels being wrong etc etc etc.  Last time I chose not to start in October because i thought treatment would coincide with consultation evenings, then for several reasons I couldn't get restarted until Feb and missed March consultation evenings (can't win!)!  ARGC are the absolute best, but it is a very demanding protocol and you will need more time off than you imagine.  I had a FET in my summer hols last year and felt like I hadn't had much of a holiday and had to slog through all the way to Oct half term to get a break.  I do hope I am not putting you off - as I say they are the best and all very lovely too.  Have you spoken to your head?  Do you have a sympathetic one? I have been very open with my head and most of my colleagues and they have supported me fantastically - in fact they gave me a GTP student who could hold the fort if I needed to dash off quickly (like when the clinic called me at 4pm and said ivig tomorrow!).  Schools can be really inflexible places but i've often found that presenting the head teacher with a solution to you having time off at the same time as asking for it often helps (if that makes sense).
Best of luck
Kx  ps; do you live in Oxford?  I used to live there - fab city!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Kate,

Thanks for your advice. I am a full-time Reception teacher. My headteacher and collegues have been very supportive in my previous treatments. I had over a week off during my first fresh cycle, but most of my FET was done during the Easter holidays. She will allow me to have days off for appointments, but it would be very difficult to have all the time off needed for blood tests during stims. So, if possible, I really need to have the stimming during my summer holiday. I am in an independent school, so we get about 7 weeks for the Summer.

You've been through so much - I really hope it works out for you.

I live in Reading. Oxford is fab though.

Many thanks.

Jan

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi again, it's good that you get a nice long holiday.  I wish you the very best of luck.

Kx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts