Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Hi Guys

I am patiently - not! waiting for AF. In the meantime, I am doing everything possible to give myself the best chances for a successful DIUI.........

So.........just to go that bit further, I understand a lot of you do Reflexology and Acupuncture.

I don't have a never ending budget.......so can someone please tell me:
  • Which of the two is the best and why(bearing in mind I have no gyne issues - the problem lies with poor DH?
  • If nothing else, which is better from a relaxation point of view?
Is there actually any benefit at all?

I don't really know what i am trying to say but I hope you get the gist.........basically I am willing to do anything that wil boost my chances of a +ve!!

Thanks so much

JenFx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear Jen
Firstly good luck with DIUI. Sounds like you have a really good chance.
Don't know if this is at all helpful but have a little experience of acupuncture. I have had treatment myself and I have done quite a bit of research into it because i'm a midwife, so I have to be sure that there is evidence to support any treatment I recommend.There are quite a few randomized controlled trials that compare acupuncture with conventional or no treatment with very positive results....basically this means that there is good evidence to say it does work for certain things.I would give it a go-its worked for loads of my pregnant ladies! Also quite relaxing.
lots of love jo-g x

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Jen,

I'm waiting to start tx too and trying to get myself 'ready'. Here is some evidence in support of acupuncture. A German study found it may have improved the chance of success by 50%! Sounds worth a go to me....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1933901.stm

I had my first treatment last week and it certainly left me feeling relaxed. Hope it works!

Good luck to you.

Nicnack xx

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.UK or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

G

·
Hi Jen
I've been having chinese 5 season acupuncture for 2 years and find it relaxing, and it does give me hope. There are certainly some success stories out there of people getting pg when having acupuncture, and some clinics recommend it now. But I also know someone who tried reflexology and firmly believes it worked for her.

My advice is to pick one and try it - you might find you want to swap around for a while until you find a therapist who you really click with. They're both balancing therapies so toss a coin, make an appt, and go for it! Good luck!

love chick xx

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Jen,

I don't have much experience with acupuncture but I have reflexology sessions quite regularly. I first started these sessions to help with endometriosis pain and I have found in the 3 years I have been going it has reduced tremendously. I also have regular treatment during my IVF cycles and it helps to keep me focused. Although I have not had a successful cycle todate, due to test in a couple of days after having FET, I do know ladies that have had reflexology by the same person as myself and they have all succeeded in becoming pg. Hopefully it will be my turn this time but I would definitely recommend reflexology, just for relaxation if nothing else.

Kitten x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

I'm a Clinical Reflexologist and have worked on a number of clients wanting to conceive.

I would recommend that you try Reflexology weekly, then when you get a positive ovulation test, have three, 20 minute Reflexology treatments one a day, where the Practitioner works the endocrine and reproductive reflexes. (A reputable Practitioner will only charge your for one treatment for the 3 sessions). What this does is helps to balance the relevant parts of the body so that they are in optimum balance for conception.

If you're looking for someone suitably qualified, try www.reflexology-uk.co.uk

Good luck,

J

This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.UK or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello ^wave^
Has anyone got any ideas what is better to try reflexology or accupuncture? Anyone who has had any of these treatments I would be grateful for any info
Thanks
Helenxxxxxx

:)

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
hi helen

i have pcos and been having reflexology done on and off for past few years and for the past few month i have had it done more regularly.

i have now found it has helped me relax,my cycles are more regular,and my hormones are getting back to a more normal level!

i have never had accupunture done so i cant commenton that im affraid

all i will say is use someone who has been recommended to you and who understand fertility problems as they will help you rather then hinder!

take care

xoxoxoxox

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks Mez
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Helen,

I too have reflexology reguarly - Funny enough i have been tonite and asked my lady about accupuncture - she just said they both work on fairly similar principles and that it was personal preference.

I have found my sessions to be invaluable.

Good Luck
Debs xxx

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hi Helen

I have been having both on and off for the past few years and I find both help in different ways, the reflexology helps to manage my pcos, regulate my cycles whereas the accupuncture seems to help the symptoms I get.
Might be worth trying both and seeing which you find best.
Chick

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi Girls
Thanks so much. I have had 3 relefloxology sessions in the past and got PG but now I am trying to 'resolve' my PCOS naturally I am starting again with the reflexology tommorrow to see if it regulates my periods as this is the main symptom i have of PCOS. Let's keep our fingers crossed!
xxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Hiya

Helen - hope that you enjoy your reflexology session! I have been debating whether to have accupuncture or reflexology for a while now. I've plumped for accupuncture for now because my gynaecologist practises it...hoping it won't hurt too much! Interested to hear how you get on!

Good luck,
Kate x

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi!

I am trying reflexology and osteopathy - on my abdomen and pelvic area.  If that doesn't work to get me ovulating or to shorten my cycle, I am considering accupuncture and seeing a herbalist!  I am not overly happy about needles but if it works, it's worth it!  If they don't work, I wonder if I can do a head transplant with a healthy person's body without PCOS?!

Seriously most people say try everything once and if you feel relaxed or happier after the treatment it can only be a good thing!

Make sure that the practitioner has experience with infertility first though.  Oh!  I tried herbs provided by a Chinese herbalist but the tea tasted disgusting, gave me an instant headache and made me vomit so I'd give that one a miss, if I were you!

Good luck!

Elaine R

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

I had reflexology when we were first dx.  I couldn't quite face those needles at that moment in time.  I found it helped to relax me and helped clear up a recurring virus I had.

Good luck

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thanks everyone
Well I have booked some reflexology sessions in now and hopefully that will regulate my cycles. I am also taking agnus castus and some the Marilyn Glenville Fertility Plus supplements. I hope it works! Will report back in 3 months time! has anyone else tried these supplements?
Helen
x x x x x

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
Hello,

I have been having regular acupuncture sessions (weekly) since may, and have found them to be beneficial.
BUT, saying that, I have my doubts about my acupuncturist, as since may, she has kept the needles in the same place every single week!
I told her that as I was going through d/r, stims, etc what was happening, but she just kept saying she was building my body up for accepting a baby.  From what other people say, their acupuncturists move the needles about?
Anyway, she is the nearest acupuncturist to me, and as I am not working, she is also reasonibly priced.  ;)
I can only go to see her on my husbands days off (mon-weds) as he has the car to take to work the other times.  We always have a blazing row right before acupuncture, and afterwards, and i spend my time crying and stressed, even more stressed than when I didnt have acu!!
He says he dosent believe in acu and thinks its a waste of time.  ::)  Despite me telling him it benefits me, and showing him books about how acu helps IVF, he tells me you can't believe everything you read, and that I'm wasting 'his' money.

I can't drive yet, and am wanting lessons.  I'm thinking of giving the acu up, and having 2 driving lessons a week, and instead of acu, having reflexology, which my neighbour does?
She has told me she'll do it weekly, in return for me babysitting her kids once a week, which seems a fair swop to me!
Ok, I've written a book about this, but basically, does reflexology have the same benefits as acu? And could someone who has had reflexology tell me about it?

Sorry for the long-winded explanation!

Marie xx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

I've heard that reflexology can be useful in the treatment of IF for both males and females.  I think if I was in your shoes I would consider swapping.  Acu and reflexology doesn't come cheap and it sounds as though you are getting a good deal by babysitting.

I undertook reflexology when we were first dxed.  I tried to get dh to go for reflexology however he refused to go.  I found it very useful in that it helped me to relax, balance myself and clear out a virus that had been kicking round my system for nearly 6 months.

The reflexologist manipulates and prods certain parts of your feet (some people have reflexology on their hands).  If she hits a spot that hurts that means something in your body is not quite right and she will work on over the next few sessions.  She will then finish up with the best bit.... a relaxing foot massage.  I used to love that bit.

Good luck

·
Registered
144 Posts
^afro^ hi marie,just wanted to let u know what i was told in regard to acu v reflex,it apparently works on the same principle,but the good thing about reflex is that during a session any areas that need work on them will be more uncomfortable while being manipulated and feel different in texture(like a grittiness!) to ur therapist, so as gihickman says they can concentrete on those areas untill its more comfortable to u and the reflexologist can "feel" the difference,also accu and reflex are SO expensive i would defo go for the option of babysitting in exchange for free sessions,then like u said u can go for ur driving lessons  ^banana^ and stop the arguin b4 and after!!hope u don't mind me replyin to this,good luck,take care and much love-nic  :-*

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi thre,

Reflexology works on the principle that there are reflexes in the hands and feet which correspond to all the organs, glands and parts of the body.  By stimulating these reflex points using fingers and thumbs, it is possible to improve blood and nerve supply, relax and calm the client and help the body to achieve balance.

If an organ or gland is out of balance, it will not be working properly and can cause illness.  By getting the body in optimum balance has its best chance of conceiving.

World Reflexology Week runs from 19th to 25th September and lots of practitioners are offering free taster treatments or special offers.  If you let me know where you are in the country, I can recommend some people for you.  You really need weekly or fortnightly treatments for 8-10 weeks to get the body properly balanced up.  You'd be looking to pay £20-30 for each treatment, although some practitioners do offers if you book more than 4 treatments in one go.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts