Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mrs Thomas,
I have just found out that I have an underactive Thyroid, this was actually discovered at a Reflexology session.  I do not have any typical symptoms and my Doctor was quite shocked when we got the result.  I have been trying now for ten years for a baby, I have been pregnant twice but sadly lost both.  I'm going for Reflexology tonight but was wondering if you have had experience with this condition and infertility and how often would you recommend that I go to the Reflexologist.  Also the lady I'm going to has no experience with infertility, should I find someone who does.  (I live in Glasgow).

Thank you
Maxi

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually have an underactive thryoid myself (Hashimotos disease) and had fertility problems.  Happlily now with regular reflexology, I am now 12 weeks pregnant.  Are you taking thryoxine?  Make sure you are having weekly treatments working the whole of both feet, then focus on the endocrine and reproductive system around ovulation time.

You need to find a properly qualified practitioner.

These ladies all hold the reputable MIIR (Reg'd) qualification:

Susan Bennetta, MIIR (Reg'd)  West Lodge, Highfield, Muir of Ord, Ross-Shire, IV6 7UL 01463 871900 [email protected]

Helen S Boyle, MIIR (Reg'd)  29 Waterside Road, Kirkintilloch, Glasgow, G66 3PF 0141 578 1646

Anne Brunton, MIIR (Reg'd), Ph.D, BSc
11 Learmonth Crescent, Edinburgh, EH4 1DD 0131 332 0621 or 07771 575837

Barbara Buchanan, MIIR (Reg'd) 6 Dean Crescent, Stirling, Stirlingshire, FK8 1UT 01786 461605

Hazel Cross, MIIR (Reg'd) 47 Allan Park Drive, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH14 1LW 0131 444 1537

Eleanor Clydesdale, MIIR (Reg'd) 7 Woodlands Drive, Brightons, Falkirk, FK2 0TF 01324 715917

Morag Duff, MIIR (Reg'd) 7 Long Rigg, Clachan, Tarbert, Argyll, PA29 6XP 01880 740611 or 07766 227179

Jean Ekblom, MIIR (Reg'd)  Gumblenook, Wester Tarbat, Invergordon, IV18 0NF 01862 842028

Joan Firth, MIIR (Reg'd)
103 Glasgow Road, Bathgate, West Lothian, EH48 2QN 01506 656222 or  07775 630044
[email protected]

Val Gilmour, MIIR (Reg'd) "Ebbastrand", Coldingham Bay, Nr Eyemouth, Berwickshire, TD14 5PA 01890 771943

Deborah Knight, MIIR (Reg'd)
37a High Street, Ayton, Berwickshire, TD14 5QP       018907 81466 (landline)       077907 89554 (mobile)
[email protected]

Maureen Langlands, MIIR (Reg'd), BSc. Soc. Sci (Nursing), RGN, RMW, DN 7 Millhill Crescent, Greenloaning, Dunblane, Perthshire, FK15 0LH 01786 880 645

Brenda Louw, MIIR (Reg'd) 32 Park Crescent, High Blantyre, Glasgow, G72 9SX 01698 712259 or 07952 729794 [email protected]

McCormack, Rosemary
23 Hebenton Road, Bishopmill, Elgin, Moray, IV30 4EP  01343 547917
[email protected]

Lorna McDiarmid, MIIR (Reg'd)
Manor Farm, Stirling, FK9 5QA 01786 463160 or 07711 206151

Ann Moore, MIIR (Reg'd) 165 Broomhill Crescent, Wheatcroft, Bon Hill, Alexandria, Dunbartonshire G83 9QZ 07711 347 396

Lorna Pender, MIIR (Reg'd) Davidsons Mains, Edinburgh 0131 336 5703  [email protected]

Irene Robertson, MIIR (Reg'd) 29 Granton Mill Park, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH4 4UU 0131 552 6447

Jacqueline Smith, MIIR (Reg'd)
33 Whiteside Drive, Monkton, Prestwick, Ayrshire KA9 2PU 01292 471245
[email protected]

Joan Christian Stuart, MIIR (Reg'd), ART (Reg'd) Isle of Arran No new clients

Beryl Topping, MIIR (Reg'd)
15 Fir Road, Wood of Doune, Doune, Perthshire,      FK16 6HU

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply,
I've only been taking thyroxine now for 5 weeks as I've only just found out, I must admit I don't feel any different, have you any idea when I should start to feel better?
I went for my first reflexology treatment last week with one of the ladies you have listed.  She was terrific and had actually done some research before my appointment, she said she was going to email her tutor to find out some more on infertility.
I'ts wonderful news to hear that you are pregnant, I bet you pinch yourself everyday.
Thanks again,
Maxi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Maxi,

It did take me a few months before I started to feel better.  It certainly takes thyroxine a while to get into your body, but the reflexology would help.  I'd be interested to hear who you went to, as it is good to have positive feedback on one of our practitioners.  If there's any further information I can help you with, do let me know.

Best wishes,

Julie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Julie,

I went to Helen Boyle in Kirkintilloch, I'm going again this Thursday, I'll let you know how I got on.

Thanks again,
Maxi

·
Registered
16 Posts
Fantastic!  Helen has been a member of the IIR for some time now.  I'm really pleased you are getting some help with her.

If there are ever any questions that you have, do not hesitate to ask Helen or myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

I am new to this and wondered if there is anyone out there who is 40, has an underactive thyroid & about to start clomid for the first time??? I am also interested in reflexology as i have read that is a good aid to help underactive thyroid probs with fertility?? I look forward to hearing from u.

Thanks,

Maz

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there,

I think we have a lot in common.  I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid three months ago and now take 100 mc of thyroxine daily. I am also 40 (41 next month).
I have had numerous treatments two of which resulted in pregnancy but sadly lost (last pregnancy three years ago).
I'm thinking of having one last go at ICSI (it will be my 7th)...My consultant recommended one last chance but that was before I found out about my thyroid.  My doctor has written a letter to him informing him of my condition, I have an appointment with my doctor next week....we'll see if he has replied.
I didn't have typical symptoms, infact my doctor was surprised when I asked her to test me but my level came back at 35 (should be between 0.5 & 1.5).  I found out through a reflexologist treatment that there could be something wrong with my thyroid as the area on my foot was very painful.
I'm a real believer in reflexology, it definitely works.

Take Care
Maxi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Maxi,

Lovely to here from u! yes we do have alot in common lol i was diagnosed with underactive thyroid in April the only reason i was tested was because my af had become lighter and i was really exhasted all the time, i was really surprised at the result i didnt think there was anything wrong with me...but, my Gp has said that cos of my two MC'S its possible i had the thyroid prob then and may have caused the m/c's as the eggs i was producing wasnt good enough.
I too have had a marathon journey to this point. 4 basic inseminations, 4 IUI, 3 IVF all failed the two pgs naturally which ended in M?C (last one being 2002) Now my thyroid has stable levels i am about to start clomid to kick off my ovulations so i got high hopes again! I was keen on trying reflexology as i read that was good for fertility. Do u live in the Glasgow area?? I do.
It good to meet someone who is in a similair situation as me! Look forward to chatting more.
Baby Dust,

Maz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there,

I'm in my 30's but have an underactive thryoid and take 100mcg Thyroxine every day.  I'm also a Reflexologist and have managed to lower my dose of Thyroxine over 3 years, from 200mcg to 100 mcg.  I've also had weekly Reflexology treatments for 3 months which has resulted in a pregnancy, despite being told that I'd need fertility treatment.

What I would say is try Reflexology for a couple of months before Clomid, it might just sort things out before you start unbalancing the hormone levels in your body with Clomid.

I can recommend a professional Reflexology Practitioner if you need one.  Just let me know where abouts you are.

Regards

Julie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Maz,

This is amazing, I also live in Glasgow....
I'm trying to go the holistic route for a few months before I look into more fertility treatment, I've not been to the reflexologist for a while due to holidays and work commitments but I'm dying to get back. 
I had two ICSI treatments last year and one at the beginning of this year, all negative, I now wonder if the thyroid problem had anything to do with it as the eggs I produced were of poor quality.  I even had assisted hatching and the embryologist said that the shell was very tough.
I've also started taking whey protein, apparently this can help with the quality of eggs.  I feel at my age every month is another month further away from having a baby, one of these days I'm sure I'll feel it's out of my hands and give up.....but at the moment I'm still giving it a go.

take care.
Maxi

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI Maxi,

Well i know how u feel doing all this stressful fertility treatment..I have had plenty myself and know that most woman wud put up with all the injections etc if they got a possitive result at the end but sadly its not that easy.
I started my first cycle of clomid today and go for my first reflexology session wednesday so feeling a bit more possitive at the moment (How long that will last who knows!) lol like yourself i am sure u have good times and bad times over this ttc thing! it is nice to know i am not alone tho and hopefully we all will get our dreams in the end.

Baby Dust,

Maz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts