Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm new to this website and am after some advice.  DH and I have been under investigation as to why we can't conceive and sadly were told yesterday that we won't be able to naturally, and as DH has 2 children already we don't qualify for any NHS IVF treatment which I am quite distraught about.  We certainly can't afford to pay for it and as I have never had children I feel I have been robbed of my chance to be a mother.

Has anyone else been in this situation and has anyone any experience of appealing this decision, particulary with regards to the European Human Rights Act?

Hopefully someone has some advice!

Thanks!
Nel x

·
Registered
849 Posts
no advice for you
so sorry to hear news  :(
best wishes
^hugme^ ^hugme^
^reiki^ ^reiki^ ^reiki^
kate

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hi sorry to hear your news, very frustrating.

If I were you I'd write to the PCT and express how you feel about the situation - I am sure if you present your case clearly and with some details then you might get somewhere.

If DH has had a vasectomy and that is why you can't conceive then I don't hold out much hope but if your fertility issues lie elswhere then I am sure that you have a chance.

Try looking up fertility treatment on the NICE website - the info there is about those who are ideal candidates for treatment so it might help with presenting your case.

Best of luck
FG

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi Nel

Just a thought but if dh has children but you dont, I would have thought he wouldn't quailfy but you should, I would definitely write to your pct.

Good luck

Helen x

·
Premium Member
17,093 Posts
Hi

Sadly it really is a postcode lottery and unfortunately the majority of areas have the ruling criteria that if either of you have children from current or previous relationship then you're not entitled to any NHS funding.

Obviously you can appeal against this but you would need to contact your local PCT (Primary Care Trust).

You can find your local PCT on here...

http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/pages/primarycaretrustlisting.aspx

If you have a little search on this Fertility Friends website you'll see that you're not alone in this situation...try using the search tool and you should find quite a few threads discussing this so you may find members who have been successful in their appeals.

Take care
Natasha

[red]This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityFriends.co.uk or its owners are not responsible for the content of external internet sites[/red]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya, thanks for the info girls, I wrote a letter to my PCT and also copied in my MP yesterday, it was done in the heat of the moment and posted straight away but I don't regret it.  Sometimes that's the best way!

We live in Hampshire which is one of the few areas that give a cycle of IVF free to couples, and we feel we are being discriminated against because of DH having children.

Will do the search Minxy, thanks for that.

Nel x

·
Premium Member
5,366 Posts
Hi Nel,
I live in Hampshire and we dont meet the criteria because i'm too young - you have to be at least 36years old - it's crazy and so unfair!!!  We are going to be egg sharing soon to make it affordable for us (under £500 for IVF - but that price varies greatly from clinic to clinic) but I understand it's not for everyone and I have no idea if endo would affect being able to egg share or not?
Please let me know if your letter gets a response - good luck with it, I hope it does! x

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi
Just wanted to send you a big  ^hugme^ it is unfair isn't it. We have been refused NHS funding - we have no children, have been trying for 4 years and have had a specific problem diagnosed but because we funded two cycles privately ( following advise of our doctor because there was no treatment avail at the time in our area) we have been told we are ineligible for NHS. We challenged it with our MP etc but I'm afraid it did not chance the outcome. We found it really hard to fund IVF and have made loads of financial sacrifices including selling our home. Good luck Pip

·
Registered
221 Posts
hi just wanted to say i live in essex,i cant have kids as both tubes been removed,anyway we went to docs re funding for ivf at time i was 4 weeks away from being 40,u have to be 39 for the one free go with nhs,its not supposed to be a lottery postcode anymore,my docter told me that,the children have to be NOT be living with you for you to qualify for free funding,also your bmi has to be a certain amount,what you need to do is contact your pct and ask them to send you the list of regulations for you to get free funding..anyway we actully got turned down for funding,(took them 6 months to do test on us and managed to lose results)the reason...i was to old as was now 40 and my husband had 3 kids,said we could appeal,so i went to docs and he basicly said reasons they have told us are crap!!!he said u have to be 39 at time of applying which i was,and kids were not living with us,so i sent them a letter,not nasty just saying i just want to be a mum(think i may still have it if u want a copy)and they said although iwas now 40 because of the lengh of time it took them to get back to us they agreed to fund us for one free go!!!so good luck

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Nel,

We were in the same boat and considered appealing to everyone but I suspect the speed at which they would deal with this would be so slow we would have been past the age where they would consider us anyway.  I wonder if it might be worth trying to do it on your own saying you dont have a partner and are looking for a doner but then suddenly during treatment find yourself this man (the one you already have)  We ended up paying for ours and it cost us just over £5,000 and this is just for the one cycle.  We have been exceptionally lucky but had we not I suspect we would have continued to try to get the cash and pursued an appeal alongside to see if we could claim the money back post event.

Good Luck, and btw if you are to try the "doner" thing take some more advice.  I am sure someone has tried it before and they should be able to tell you.

Kirsty

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi girls, just an update on my goings on, have had replies from both the PCT and my MP, interestingly the PCT are suggesting I speak to my GP about appealing and my MP is saying that the PCT are in breach of government guidelines and he is contacting the CEO on my behalf!

It's worth a try, you never know! xx

·
Registered
849 Posts
oooooooooooo very interesting
keep us updated
and good luck

·
Premium Member
8,150 Posts
Nelly1971 said:
Hi girls, just an update on my goings on, have had replies from both the PCT and my MP, interestingly the PCT are suggesting I speak to my GP about appealing and my MP is saying that the PCT are in breach of government guidelines and he is contacting the CEO on my behalf!

It's worth a try, you never know! xx
Wow! First of all I can't believe you got replies so quickly, well done you. And secondly I really hope you get the decision overturned, some of the rules these PCT's have are ridiculous.

Keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!

B x :-*

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi
I was in a similar situation - my DH has 3 children and had a vas which we got reversed very successfully (clinic didnt realise he had had it done).  PCT wouldnt give us the time of day and basically said we were not eligible because of his kids.  Irrelevant the fact that his wife did a runner and took them and yet we are penalised.  I think its awful.  I asked about appealing and was told I basically had no chance.  To be honest I couldnt be bothered fighting it by that point and scraped the money together.  We also got turned down for IUI as they thought I wasnt a suitable candidate!  No idea why!  Anyway, got my BFP now so we were lucky but its wrong this post code lottery business.  Someone told me you get unlimited goes at IVF in Israel! 

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isreal?  How does that work?!!  We pay so much bloody tax in this country, and that pees me off immensly that I have been paying for the best part of 20 years, yet when I actually WANT something back from the state (apart from them collecting my bin when they remember) they shut the door in my face!

I have gone from total devastation to anger to resentment back to anger and now to frustration.  Although there was a ray of light in there when I got my letters.

Libeth: your story has given me hope, thank you, I will let you know how I get on xx

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just a girl said:
Hi Nel,
I live in Hampshire and we dont meet the criteria because i'm too young - you have to be at least 36years old - it's crazy and so unfair!!! We are going to be egg sharing soon to make it affordable for us (under £500 for IVF - but that price varies greatly from clinic to clinic) but I understand it's not for everyone and I have no idea if endo would affect being able to egg share or not?
Please let me know if your letter gets a response - good luck with it, I hope it does! x
I don't get this when the success rates supposedly drop the older we are, it's ar*ed backwards!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
dont get me going on the paying taxes thing or i will just blow!!!!!!!!!! arghhh!

anyway, different situation, my sitution was i was to young for funding, anyway i appealed twice...and have now got our funding, so they do change theri minds sometimes.

good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Nelly,

Just wondered how long it took the pct to make a decission in the first place. We live in hampshire too we were told to apply for funding even though really don't meet there criteria because of my age. It is very unfair i have a high fsh level of 10.5 and been told that won't improve i'm only 27 so by the time i'm 36 we won't stand a chance at all. What  doesn't make sense is if we moved outside of hampshire we would get funding.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hi Nelly,

So sorry to hear your news. We are currently doing our one NHS go at ICIS. We have had to travel to oxfordshire (1hr drive) to get our treatment as it is the closest for us. Because of this we were told we had to wait until i was 36, luckily they brought it down to 35 in April, so i am now being treated. However this means we have now been TTC for 12 years!

How unfair is this system, you get told that the older you are the less the percentages are, so why make you wait? Now i've been told that my F/S is 12, so that's now got high with my age - bloody typical!

We now know that Wiltshire offer treatment at 30 - why weren't we told that at the time, we would have driven wherever to get it quicker!

I have everything crossed for you that you get the decision changed!

Tracey xxx

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just been reading through all of these again as I have some news - I stopped posting on here as I had given up all hope of getting anywhere with ever getting pregnant but I had a phone call last night from my GP who had written what can only be described as a sh*t hot letter to the PCT and THEY CHANGED THEIR MINDS!!!!!!!!!! They are going to fund one cycle of IVF for us and I am so excited but also aprehensive as I know it might not work, but what a result!

So it is absoultely worth fighting for it and appealing against a decision, all I did was see her and ask her to write a letter, which she did about a month ago and they changed their minds - yay!

Thanks for your support girls, think I might be on here for some time now! xx

;D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts