Fertility Friends Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, in a bit of a tricky situation, been ttc for 4 years, went doctors, got sent to Salford Royal to Investigate, I had sperm test, wife had blood test whilst on AF, sperm results came back that I had low count of 2 million and low motility due to undecended testicle as a baby which had operation to repair, we then had to wait for wife turning 23 so in January this year 2015 we went back to Salford and got two options, go st Mary's or see Dr Polson who we had previously seen as he knows us so we said to see him at Manchester Fertility. We waited 6 weeks and heard nothing so we emailed Manchester Fertility to be told hadn't received a letter or anything had to then contact Salford Royal to forward letter, finally we got a call from Manchester Fertility they made us an appointment next day due to cancellation so next day we went up to Manchester Fertility in March and saw Dr Polson for consultancy so he filled out forms etc asked us to get blood tests, ultra sound for wife and fresh sperm test for me, anyway got a letter about requesting funding on 23rd April then on 28th got it rejected due to Manchester Fertility being private due to ccg not having contract with them and no exceptional circumstances made. Please help

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
Hello

It's a shame they didn't check before referring you, my CCG has contracts with St Mary's, MFS and Care, everyone's sent to St Mary's as routine but when I needed donor eggs I was able to transfer to Care after putting a request in the CCG but my area has a contract with them

Have you checked with your CCG to see if it's only St Mary's they use? My understanding was they can't budge if they don't have a contract already with them but I'm sure I read of 1 person recently who challenged it but they are usually strict

Are you going to be happy going to St Mary's? I cycled there and had great care there

L

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thats not good, sorry to hear that. We saw the same dr as you, and we didn't have a good experience at Salford Royal. We were told that my husbands sperm was unusable,  clumpy and not motile and that we would need to use donnor sperm or adopt. We did challenge what he said and practicality pushed for a referral St Marys and their findings were very different. Thanks to St Mary we now have our own biological child and frozen embryos left too. So although with St Marys it can feel like things seem to take ages to get to the next stage, they have made what one doctor said was not likely to happen,  happen for us. Our male factor sinareo is the same as yours and it all came good for us in the end. Good luck with your journey at St Mary's.  :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I assume you live in Bury from the name, I thought they had a contract with CARE (who would be my clinic of choice) - worth asking your CCG?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts