Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mum mentioned to me the other day that she thought there had been a change in the rules about repaying your maternity leave if you dont return to work, in that you dont have to repay it. That sounds a bit too good to be true?

Am I just wishful thinking?

:)
Helen

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
You don't have to return the statutory part but then you didn't have to anyway. However, any contractual pay normally has some condition to it - I know I had to return for 12 weeks and had to sign beforehand to say I understood, but I reduced my hours sufficiently so I could have 12 weeks annual leave so not physically return although I was back on the payroll.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Mrs GG soeak to your company. I called mine and I dont have to repay a penny even the 12 weeks at 100% pay that I got.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
You should have been made aware of any conditions before going on maternity leave, even check your terms and conditions.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was told when I was organisng the mat leave that if I didnt come back I would have to pay it back. I just had a glimmer of hope for a second that I could get out of it!

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
I don't think you have to pay it back in one lump sum though do you? Can you not repay on your conditions, like a £5 a month or something. Think you can with mine

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Can you not go back but hand in your notice on your first day back- if you still occur holiday while your off on mat leave you wouldnt have to work your notcie as you'd take your hol- does that make sense??

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just went to speak to my boss yesterday regarding going back part time. She said that there is no position part time and that I will have to come back full time. Does anyobody know if I would still have to pay back maternity leave if I leave because they can't accomodate my request to come back part time?

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Trollmor - Firstly have you applied for flexible working as they do have to give it serious consideration and have a good reason to refuse you? Plus there is a set procedure that needs to be followed (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkingHoursAndTimeOff/DG_10037051).

Were you told you would have to repay the money before you started your maternity leave or is it in your terms and conditions etc? I had to sign a paper to say I agreed and assuming you did or were aware of it beforehand, I would guess that yes, you would still have to repay it. You don't have to repay statutory maternity pay, just the contractual bit.

Chux xx

/links

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thanks Chux.
I have read my terms and conditions and there is nothing in there reg paying the money back. I am going to ring personnel dept today to ask them.
I will check out the link now. Thank you. You are my hero  :)

x

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
I'm like chux I have to go back for 12 weeks and can't hand notice in till the end of the 12 weeks, so I'm currently deciding if to take the top up money or not.
With SMP do you have to pay NI and Tax on it??  you don't do you?? If I don't I'm only going to loose about £50- £80 a month!  and wonder if I could get them that back from tax credits as would then jut be on DH's wage which I'm sure takes us in to one of the highest tax crexdit brackets will have to look into

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Trollmor - Just a thought, but did you get contractual maternity pay, i.e. did your employer top up your money? You don't have to repay SMP regardless of whether you return to work or not.

Clare - You do have to pay tax and NI but only if you are above the income limit so it will depend how much salary you have earnt. When I went on maternity leave with M I didn't pay tax or NI as I'd not earnt enough in that tax year. Tbh I can't see you getting that much more from tax credits, although don't forget you do get extra in the first year.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
A yr is from april to march yeah??  I won't earn £5000  (my allowence) between April and me going on mat leave in July as only earn £7000 a full yr.  On the tax credit we going to look into it all well DH going to CAB i think to see about it all but if they don't take SMP in then we will be earning under £20000 between us (yes we live on that little) and think that is a window to a higher bracket.  Will read up etc seeing work on fri about it all

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Clare - Yup, the tax year starts on April 5th - I started my maternity leave in June and was part time which was why I hadn't earnt enough to pay tax. My SIL's dh earns under £20k too and they've got 5 children but then I do think it's relative as people tend to live within their means - we may have a higher income but our mortage and bills are a LOT more than SIL's whereas tax credits etc are a lot less, making our disposable income not a great deal different.

Do you not get working tax credits?

Good luck friday.

Chux xx

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
currently as they have me down for a full time wage- stupid me never rang them to confirm my new wage when I went part time only get £9 a week what ever tax credit it is family??  We get the very basic as when I was full time I was earning near enough the same as DH so join income was quite a bit more.
Dh has agreed we sit down and try and find out as much info as we can to what we could be entitled too if I want to be a SAHM this week and then will make a desision for fri about the money.

·
Premium Member
20,424 Posts
Clare - This site might be helpful for you - http://www.entitledto.co.uk. also the 'thrifty mums' thread has some good ideas of ways to save money (http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=140068.0). The hardest bit is reconditioning yourself and your spending habits - I still have moments where I spend as if we're both working full time with no children and I have to remember I can no longer do it!

Might be an idea to look at where you can save money e.g. buying more own brand, changing to a cheaper ISP and/or mobile network etc.

Good luck.........it's hard but if you really want to do it then I'm sure you'll find a way.

Chux xx

/links

·
Premium Member
25,868 Posts
would be happier if I could just have an evening job if needed.

unfornatly don't think can cut down too much,  do get own brand, both PAYG mobiles with free texts,  pay £20 for landline rental andcalls to other landlines and broadband!  I will just have to stop spending on bel and baby so much

1 - 18 of 18 Posts