Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Girls..

Does anyone have or had restless legs whilst pregnant? For the last week I've hardly slept, feel like I need to keep moving my legs all the time. Had cramp most nights before this too. Does anyone know what causes this? Is it circulation or something and what can I do about it? Feel as if I'm constantly complaining at the moment, poor dp  :(  but everything aches!! My pelvis, boobs and now my legs!! Really getting me down now, I've never felt so emotional  :'( I thought this was supposed to be the best part of pregnancy and I just want to start blooming.

Many thanks, Maria x

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hi hun sorry you are feeling like this ^hugme^ ^hugme^

My bil has had restless legs for a long time and finds it hard to sleep.  the cause of his is stress. Are you stressed and worrying about things because it can cause all sorts of symptoms.  Other than that you could try posting on the mw thread and see if she can help.  let me know if you sort it out :-*

Rxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm not sure about the restless legs, but when i get cramp during the night I wiggle my toes and point my toes towards my head (if that makes sense).  Seems to shift it in seconds.  Hope that helps,

Tracy xxx

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
hi
sorry you are suffering, I have heard tonic water helps with the cramps and in fact the doctors do prescribe quinine tabs (my mums elderly friend has had lots of cramps in her toes recentyl and she got the tabs) quinine is found in tonic, worth a try!

strawbs xx

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Hi hun,

Sorry to hear your so down. I too get both cramp and restless legs although the cramps tend to be worse. I haven't find anything yet to help, I did speak to my midwife but she just said it was common.

Hope things improve.

xxx

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
hi ya hunnie i have posted in the 2nd trimester thread about me having restless legs at night..it does my head in ^idiot^

but i have read in my preggie book that its sooooooooooooo common but the cause is unknown............so think we are a mystery. ;D

will say though the last few days i have had swollen feet/ankles so dont know if its linked.

hope your ok xx

·
Premium Member
7,184 Posts
Hi, I am not sure what causes the restless legs but cramps can sometimes be caused by lack of potassium so eating bananas might help. I would check on the quinine thing before having too much of it as although it is good for cramps it may not be good in great quantities whilst pregnant.

I have found this which may help: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/sleep/restlesslegs/

Hope you feel better and start getting some sleep soon ^hugme^

Fluffs xxx

/links

·
Registered
465 Posts
Don't know about the restless legs but sounds to me like might be worth contacting GP/midwife for advice and maybe physio referral. The last time I was at my GP's I saw a leaflet about restless legs-wish I'd picked it up for you now.

As for the cramps-there's a number of possible reasons, fluffs mentioned the potassium-I got cramp real bad the other night to the extent that I've now got a pulled muscle in my calf and hurts to put my heel down, so I really sympathise with you-I'm attributing mine to the fact that I'd had quite a bit of junk food in relation to fruit and salad in the past few days, cos my taste buds are back on the junk1  ;D  So to try and reduce the cramp I've reluctantly cut back on the junk, force fed the fruit and salad and drank 1/2 pint of milk before bed.

The only other reason that I know of for cramp (and maybe then the restless legs) is the pressure of baby on the nerves to the legs, which might mean trying out some sort of support belt-if this is the cause physio would definitely help with this.

Good luck Maria, hope you get a nice night's sleep soon. Gizmog xx

·
Premium Member
6,986 Posts
Hiya, i had terrible restless legs from the 2ww til a week after having bubs. its so frustrating. the urge to twitch your legs is overwhelming. I know how irritating it is, when i was pg i was getting about 2 hours sleep a night every night! it drove dh mad too. I tried absolutely everything, eating bananas - which i hate! (mainly for the cramp side of things) didnt work :( I treid cycling my legs every night before bed, walking for about 30 mins in one go every day for a week - didnt work. Someone else who i knew suffered with r/legs too she said to try a magnet in each sock at night ^idiot^ - didnt work! Applied hot compress and cold compress to my legs, massaging them, you name it i did it. and unfortunately nothing worked. Another girl i know had r/legs whilst pg and she continued to have them until 8 months after the birth of her son (sorry not what you wanted to hear!) even now every blue moon i'll get the odd night where they start, but thankfully few and far between.
I asked midwives etc too, as i was absolutely desperate for a decent nights sleep. Thankfully a week after my daughter arrived, i got about about 6 hrs a night!!!!! Yippee. Then she slept through at 10 weeks and i got about 10-12 hrs! Bliss! ;D

Sorry for the waffle, but i really feel for you cos i know exactly how frustrating it is. ^hugme^ (Dont know whether its hormone related, probably, and my LO was one of a twin too originally. Maybe a connection ??? )

Good luck for the rest of your pg hun, i hope it goes smoothly :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have also been suffering from restless legs, keeping me up all night, having to move them every 10 seconds it seems.  A friend at work advised me to drink tonic water due to the Quineen in it.  Well i have to say that i tried it and it seems to work for me.  Give it a go it cant help.  In the end sleep is a luxury anyway and now pelvic pain keeps me awake.

I hope you luck with it.

Emma

·
Registered
382 Posts
I suffer terribly with leg cramps and my GP actually recommended (prescribed if you like) a glass of tonic water a day ... make sure it has Quinine in. As one of the other posters said Quinine is given in higher doses, in tablet form. My GP felt that would be too strong for baby BUT she said the small amount in the water will not really effect babu but might just be enough to help either get rid of or certainly ease cramps. I have been taking it everyday for about 4 weeks now and I think I have had leg cramps once (and that was when I forgot to drink TW for 2 days on the trot) ... Now my DH insists I drink a glass and reminds me as it was always him that got kicked in the night when it woke me up ;D ;D

HTH !!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts