Fertility Friends Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have received my info pack today, and my LA will only take applicants who will consider those 5yrs+.  Because we're in North Devon, we're a long way from other LA/VAs, and the arent many children in need of adoption here (our LA reckons about 20 in their system, and only about 100 across the whole south west).

Anyone else in an area like this?

·
Registered
146 Posts
crystal4314 said:
Have received my info pack today, and my LA will only take applicants who will consider those 5yrs+. Because we're in North Devon, we're a long way from other LA/VAs, and the arent many children in need of adoption here (our LA reckons about 20 in their system, and only about 100 across the whole south west).

Anyone else in an area like this?

[/quote)
Well i too live in the South West and had no problem being taken on with our localish LA, just outside where we live, they have not mentioned any problems in finding us a child - we go to approval panel on 6 jan 2010 however our SW has said for us to look on bmp and cww as we may be better going for a child out of area. There are defo more than 100 in SW as far as my SW says, it could be there are only this amount at present in the position to be adopted dont forget lots of children are at different stages of the system and may not have the relevant order yet for adoption.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Hi crystal

We were told the same thing by our local LA so went to an LA about 50 mins drive from us which is actually in the SW region and they have no problem placing younger kids. Maybe you could try Bristol if that's any good for you. I know our LA match a lot of kids from Bristol.

Good luck, it's really disconcerting when you hear things like that but I guess at the end of the day you can also look nationally. And our LA at the moment have a lot of kids coming through the system so I'm not sure why they have said there aren't too many in the SW region.

Good luck!

p xx

·
Registered
146 Posts
panorama said:
Hi crystal

We were told the same thing by our local LA so went to an LA about 50 mins drive from us which is actually in the SW region and they have no problem placing younger kids. Maybe you could try Bristol if that's any good for you. I know our LA match a lot of kids from Bristol.

Good luck, it's really disconcerting when you hear things like that but I guess at the end of the day you can also look nationally. And our LA at the moment have a lot of kids coming through the system so I'm not sure why they have said there aren't too many in the SW region.

Good luck!

p xx
We are currently going through Bristol City Council i would suggest trying them too

G

·
Just to be devil's advocate but why not take on (an) older child/ren?

Ours were all older when they arrived and there are pros and cons - the biggest pro being that you get a much better of idea of the child (and any issues) than if you are taking a younger and less developed person, when any tricky areas are not yet clear. 

Hope you find a path that works for you. 

Bop

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your replies :)

I will have to look at Bristol's website, we're about 110 miles from them, so I don't know if we're out of range.

I have given thought to the idea of an over 5, but at this stage in the game, I don't know enough about all the possible implications of either group. A part of me is also really keen on the idea of a sibling pair, the space isn't too much of an issue as we have two spare bedrooms, but I worry that it'll be alot harder than I imagine.

thank you all again, I really like this board, it's giving me somewhere to ponder thngs (dh is getting a bit bored of me  ;D ). Had my pack through with dates of the info meetings, I think I'll try and go along.

happy xmas girls, if you aren't already, I hope next xmas you're busy trying to get your excited little ones to bed!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm with Cornwall LA and have been waiting 6 months so far and no sign of a match, infact only 1 contact from my SW to touch base after I chase them. I'm now thinking about the national register as nothing seems to be happening here. We have been approved for a sigbling pair under 4.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it seems that our part of the country isnt a great place to be. Sorry your wait is so long hon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.